HMS Alliance

While it is great to see HMS Alliance on the news with the opening the exhibits at the Navy museum, I do wish they would stop saying its a WWII Sub!

Even though she was laid down just prior to the end of WWII she was only launched in 1947, I would say this does not qualify here to be a wartime sub.

Julien

You're quite right Julien, but didn't some of her sisters see wartime service? If so then the design is certainly from WWII and she did have a gun and everyfink init. :D

• Like 1

I watched the BBC news about a 'new' Royal Navy Museum being opened in Portsmouth - and was interested at the mention of there also being a submarine there.

Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be HMS Alliance - at the Submarine Museum, Gosport.

It looked like she's had a lick of paint - but she hasn't been moved has she????

Or do they mean the RN Museum Gosport - or is the Sub Museum now part of a bigger 'RN Museum' - at Portsmouth??

Confused of Lea....

Ken

• Like 1

But still a WWII design, so, in some peoples view, a WWII sub. [/devils advocate]

Using that concept then HMS Centaur, Bulwark, Albion and Hermes were all designed and built during the war. I think a couple might even have got launched before the end of the war, to clear the stocks. ;)

Mike

• Like 1

I watched the BBC news about a 'new' Royal Navy Museum being opened in Portsmouth - and was interested at the mention of there also being a submarine there.

Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be HMS Alliance - at the Submarine Museum, Gosport.

It looked like she's had a lick of paint - but she hasn't been moved has she????

Or do they mean the RN Museum Gosport - or is the Sub Museum now part of a bigger 'RN Museum' - at Portsmouth??

Confused of Lea....

Ken

The Alliance has had a massive refurbishment and they seem to have filled in the hollow beneath the supports. I think the Submarine Museum is still separate from the RN Museum across the water.

She's a ww2 boat as the design was drawn up during the war (launched 1946). It was not till after the war was the next class designed taking into account wartime experiences and the latest info gleaned from the Germans.

She did not look as shes does now when built as she was modernised during her service, to give her a streamlined look

A WW2 crew would feel at home on board as she uses ww2 technology

28 of her sisters were cancelled

HMS AFFRAY was lost in 1951 in a accident

HMS ARTEMIS was lost in a accident in 1971 in dock

The first class after WW2 was the PORPOISE class designed in 1950,s

Sorry guys she s a WW2 boat if you want to see a modern boat then HMS OCELOT at Chatham built in 1964 but shes got the same look and engine layout , diesel electric

• Like 1

I would be so bold as to suggest a design further back than WW2

Big black pressure tube with bow and stern welded on? Check!

Naval vessel designed to move on surface or under the surface? Check!

Diesel engines for use on surface? Check

electricamabob engine thingy for underwater use? Check!

faintly whiffy crew after any sort of trip? Check!

Fires torpedoes to ruin a skimmers day? Check!

Gun thing to enable the personal touch to ruining a skimmers day? Check!

Sail Number preceded by letter U-XXX? Not in this case!

So thats pretty much the design back to the Holland then :clif:

:poke: Pendant mode off lol

On a serious note it is good to see the old girl restored. Trying to explain what my uncle put up with to my offspring was so much easier when walking round her having the delights of diesel submarine patrols being explained by an ex sludgemariner.

• Like 1

Sorry guys she s a WW2 boat if you want to see a modern boat then HMS OCELOT at Chatham built in 1964 but shes got the same look and engine layout , diesel electric

Define 'Modern' lol.

Spent 3 days on an 'O' boat in the eighties. To say I cannot watch Das Boot these days without having flashbacks is an understatement!

When the P and O boats were built they were considered the finest diesel electric boats in service any where . The O,s were highly regarded due to how quiet they were . I f you look at a Kilo class submarine of the Russian Navy but apart from the hull shape they are diesel electric drive .

I,m not talking about them now but as when in service

As the son of a P&O boat Chief Tiffy, it's never a 'sub', gentlemen - submarine or boat, please...! Used to play on them after they'd got back from patrols - looking through the periscope at HMS Victory was always cool!

The Submarine Museum claims to re-create life aboard a submarine - but I'll be they can't replicate that certain smell.........!

Edited by Paul Bradley

I don't claim to know anything about submarines, other than submariners like to call them boats. I don't know why!

The 'O' boats must have been very successful. I remember them at Navy Days in the '70's and they served well into the '80's, if not longer?

Modern they may have been, but I suspect the living conditions were very WWII.

Respect to Submariners.

Just in case anyone does not pick up on my comments, they are tongue in cheek.

I have a lot of time for the sludgemariners. It was always an honour to be driven around in their posh cars and drink the beer they could afford on the rockstar wages lol

Operationally I would never had liked to come up against a well driven UK boat, although a couple of cans of instant sunshine would have levelled out the playing field :evil_laugh::boom:

• 2 weeks later...

The finest diesel electric boats we never had were the type 2400 or Upholder class. Once the kinks were ironed out they were frighteningly quiet operating under battery I was told.

Pity we only bought 4 out of the 10, and then we flogged them off cheap!

Kilos are also damn quiet as well.

Julien