Metal finish Mustang - what shade?

aka1878

I've been given a P51D as a birthday present and this gives me the opportunity to have a crack at a metal finish - something I've fancy trying of a while. I see there is lots of helpful advice on using Alclad on here which is great as I intend to get some, but my question is more, 'what shade'? Aluminium High Shine Finish, Regular Shine Finish, dark aluminium, dull aluminium... Ugh, is there not one just called 'Mustang'? :frantic: I jest of course but any help from someone who uses this stuff would be appreciated!

Thanks

I find white aluminium works fine, with some shading done in dark aluminium.

They can be applied over a grey undercoat whereas the high shine ones, such as polished aluminium, chrome and aircraft aluminium need to be applied over a gloss black primer for best results

HTH
Bruce

Echoing what pacificmustang suggested, but on an NMF Mig 15 I did I used aluminium, duraluminium and semi matte aluminium on various panels. I find masking a pain but the effect was good, not too obvious but not too unnoticeable especially after a dark panel wash. All were sprayed over alclad grey primer, but again the high shine shades needs a gloss black base. Good preparation is key as well, get rid of all your filler and joint marks or they'll show through.

Just remember good ventilation is an absolute must as is a good respirator or extractor. And don't be afraid to use Klear to seal it all in as Alclad finishes can sometimes be a little reluctant to stick.

Not trying to put you off with the warnings, the effort with alclad is very much worth it

Thanks for the tips - sounds like just the basic aluminium colour would work for me then. Is it possible to mix either white or black with alclad to change the tint as I would with acrylic? Would it work with an enamel?

Should I consider getting the branded airbrush cleaner or will good old white spirit do the job??

Finally, the klear coat, is that the alclad stuff or an alternative?

Thank you chaps

Yeah aluminium would do what you want of it. Masking up and using different shades would be the next level I guess if you enjoyed your alclad experience.

Never tried adding a tint to alclad before. I don't think it'd work unless what you're adding to it was cellulose based (like alclad) although having never tried I could be really wrong. I vaguely remember reading that mixing some types of paint with alclad can destroy or really mank up your airbrush.

You can only as far as I know clean alclad with cellulose thinners. Not advisable to try anything else because of the issue mentioned above. I wouldn't bother shelling out big for alclads cleaner, just pop to your local Halfords or painting and decorating supplies place and get some cellulose thinners. Does the same job but half the price and you'll probably get twice as much. I've used a lot of alclad on my last 3 builds and 500ml has lasted 3 months.

Klear is the modellers secret weapon! It turns paint pretty bullet proof and applied smoothly makes a nice glossy surface to put your decals on and aids in getting rid of silvering decals too. Dunno where you're from but in the UK its Pledge Multi Surface Wax (formerly Johnsons Klear). Never seen it in Tescos but I believe Asda sell it and its fairly cheap. Again I have 2 bottles that have lasted me about 3 years.

Before you crack on, have a look around on Google or here on using Alclad and Klear (like what pressures to spray at etc). Its not that hard but there are some pitfalls that could really cock up a model. Best thing is just to practice really, and be imaginative.

Oh and consider micro mesh cloths too. They look like glorified sandpaper but they're so much more. Spraying alclad your surface needs to be spotless else the slightest blemish will show. Micro mesh cloths are brilliant for making everything smooth and clean and can be had on ebay for 8/9 quid for a selection of grades and they last a good while too

Edited by shawty82
  • Like 1

Alclads state you can mix them with enamels to vary the shade, I've never tried it myself though.

One thing you could do I get one light, aluminium or white aluminium (I'd go white for P-51) and one dark, say steel them mix the 2 to get as many variations as you like!

You need cellulose thinners to clean up by the way, I don't think white spirit will do much.

Phil

Shawty - top tips all round there! I actually have some of that Pledge floor wax in the cupboard for getting nice shiny canopy! :)

Bruce/Phil, the response on the white aluminium was exactly the answer I was looking for!!

Pin, that's got to be worth a go - what enamels did you use? Humbrol?

And cellulose thinners - there you go. Cheers chaps - :goodjob: