Can yellowing decal be fixed ?

100SQN

What Graham said, tape them to a window and leave for a week or so. I did this with some old Hasegawa decals which had yellowed and they came back in a couple of weeks.

Don't just tape them to a window, put them in a resealable clear plastic bag, then tape that to the window. Otherwise, you may find that condensation on the window will moisten the decals and damage them.

Cleared decals haven't yellowed again on me, yet

Same here.

John

It depends on the composition of the decal and a thousand other variables.

Wouldn't the backing paper be a big factor in this? Paper made from wood is notorious for yellowing and also affecting its surrounds.

I can imagine that the decals, once remove from the "corrosive environment that is paper", would be fine.

I did this with a set of old Airfix F-27 Troopship decals about 18 months ago (that was the last time we had sun up here I think!) The paint scheme is the grey white and dayglo one and there is no sign of yellowing yet.

RG

I find there are two elements which yellow; the carrier for the printed design, [used to be commonly called the varnish], and the adhesive. When its the adhesive this can be washed off the back of the decal and something like Klear, or very dilute PVA, used to keep the design in place. When its the carrier trimming close to the design as well as a dose of UV seems to do the job.