How to make water?

Hi all,

I'm making a diorama of a Supermarine Walrus picking up a downed airman from the English Channel.

I have practiced making water before but I cant get the wave shape right. I use white grout (whatever it is) to make the waves. I need advice on how to get the correct wave shape.... Heres my reference pictures

HallidayInset1_zpstjadmtva.jpeg

supermarine-walrus-ship_zpso7e6yn7q.jpeg

Thanks,

Ben.

Edited by wellsprop

Ben

cant help on technique here but one thing I might add is that from what I have read regarding flying boat/sea plane operations they can only alight on water for a pick up where its a relatively gentle sea state and not too rough so it would be quite proper for your diorama to have a relatively calm water surface whereas in a ship scene you can have water everywhere if you like!

• Like 1

It's worth viewing Smudge's post. He used Vallejo acrylic sea effects but you can also use Acrylic structure gel which comes in thin medium and thick, available in art shops etc. The stuff I use is Winsor and Newton Galeria Structure Gel. I'm not sure of the Vallejo price but you get a lot in Galeria and it doesn't go off, I've got a pot about 4 years old and it's still useable.

More about Galeria here

Neil

• Like 1

Have a look at this Ben, it is the way I try and do it, may give you some idea's..............Smudge

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234942218-my-way-of-making-a-sea-base/

Ah great stuff smudge :)

Thanks for the comments guys, definetly going for a calm water scene. I will however be sticking with tile grout due to cost. The tip about using a stipple brush should do the trick for the water :P

Now I need to get hold of a Walrus and build it ;)

Hiya!

I would try using PVA Glue - it should be cheaper than the Tile Grout, and the advantage is that it drys clear, so you just paint the base board in a greeny colour. When it's nearly dry, use something like a plastic ruler to sculpt some waves into it.

It will wash off / thin with water, doesn't heat up as it dries, doesn't stink your house out, and you can use it for many other modelling / DIY tasks.

so PVA? In Hobbycraft they have sizable bottles of " School PVA" I think that's what it's called....does that work , do you know?

If so given the size of the bottles it would be pretty cheap for loads of floaties

I'm still sticking to what I know...DAS Pronto and a deft brush. I'm just senile...but I do love all the various techniques I've seen here, especially Smudge's and Forlornhope's efforts with his HMVS Cerberus. Take a look at Callum's blinder if you can.

Maybe I shouldn't link directly...but here you go. Enjoy!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234957296-the-wreck-of-hmvs-cerberus/

Edited by Nobby57

:D You should have asked this on the Naval bit of the forum! Here's a compendium of water making techniques from over on Model Warships.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37923

A good cheap way to do smooth water is a sheet of rough water colour paper... I've used plasticine (yes it's permanent - and cheap) Das-'orrible stuff, milliput everything except silicone and acrylic gel.

Have fun with it.

F

P,S. lately I've carved a couple of bases out of Lime. Time consuming but fun.

• 2 weeks later...