Airfix 1/72 Javelin FAW5 conversion

Hi Folks, this is my latest project. It's the old Airfix 1/72 Javelin FAW9 which I am converting back to FAW5 using the Whirlybits resin Pen nib exhaust. I will be finishing it as an aircraft operated by 151 Sqn at RAF Leuchars in the late 1950's.

jav4_zpsc7a04b24.jpg

jav3_zps8ff06fea.jpg

The kit parts, I bought this kit on E bay so didn't get the box with it but everything is there. The white sprue is the additional sprue that Airfix produced for the FAW9 when they converted the kit from Heller's original T3 version. Unfortunately they didn't manage to get the rear end dimensions correct hence why I am converting this to an earlier version.

Jav1_zps5bb33474.jpg

These are the additional parts I'll use in the conversion although I'm still undecided about the Pavla mark 3 seats as they seem a little small.

Jav2_zps2ce1f990.jpg

I'll be using this book and the included plans for some of my references. I'll be rescribing the kit as it had raised panel lines.

I'm going to have to make the 151 Sqn badge for the fin and use serial numbers from a generic sheet but that shouldn't be an issue as the sqn badge was basically a Saltire with a black edge.

The stage I am at now is that I have sanded off the raised panel lines. I have glued the outer wing panels to the inner sections and have cut the elevators (not shown in these photos) so that I can pose them in the drooped position that the Javelin displayed on the ground.

Duncan B

I've no idea why the photos are on their side, they are orientated correctly in Photobucket!

• Like 3

You been at the smelling salts again? Pics seem fine from here! Looking forward to seeing this one on the club table when you get it done.

Mark.

I guess I must have been! They were on their side when I looked after I posted them or maybe I'd fallen off my chair and hadn't noticed.

Anyway, I'll get the fuselage thrown together this month then the Jav will have to join the queue for the paint booth so might not make an appearance until nearer the end of the year.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Watching this. I'm trying to build a collection of British Cold War Jet kits and this is on my list. I was outbid on one on e-bay this week.

Chris

• Like 1

Time for a small update (this build is as slow as the development of the real thing!).

jav5_zps43c5a074.jpg

I mentioned in the earlier post about the FAW9 exhaust parts supplied by Airfix as being too small, here are the kit parts laid on top of the scale drawings. As you can see it's a significant difference and something that really lets the kit down in this form.

jav6_zps8b8d5591.jpg

The resin parts appear to be cloned from the original Heller T mk3 Exhaust parts, including the sink marks of the original plastic parts!

jav9_zpsec5af092.jpg

The first job I tackled was to attach the outer wing panels to the fuselage. This is not the way the instructions would have you do it but I think it gives a better joint this way.

jav10_zps97cd817c.jpg

You'll notice I've also removed the middle row of vortex generators which were not applicable to the FAW5.

jav11_zps59d4e866.jpg

So here is the upper fuselage with the outer wings attached.

jav12_zps3e2f3a8c.jpg

I then decided to cut out the bottom fuselage ready for the resin conversion.

jav8_zps36692515.jpg

I have also cut the tailplane so that it can be posed drooping, I should also cut off and reposition the rear parts to be 100% accurate but am still undecided about doing this.

jav13_zpsdfd4ae66.jpg

I also cut out the top side and have test fitted the resin part and it is a good fit. I will probably have to fit a thin shim where I cut along the wing trailing edge but other than that it looked good.

Duncan B

• Like 5

Here is tonight's update:

I've made a little progress and have now glued the resin replacement exhaust part to the fuselage. It is a reasonable fit but will require a little filler to blend it in. I used a superglue that has a rubber like solution which is why it appears as a black line, this glue is quite thick so has good filling properties.

jav16_zps367f64c9.jpg

jav17_zpsb4ffab7b.jpg

I have also been busy filling the joints on the forward fuselage where the two halves join, this is a horizontal join and needed a little filler but was not as bad as I remembered from my previous Javelin build. The intakes will take a little work but nothing too difficult.

jav18_zpsa5133342.jpg

So I've now got to the point where I can't put the scribing off any longer. The first time I built the Heller Javelin was also my first attempt at rescribing so hopefully I can make a better job of it this time round.

Duncan B

Time for a small update (this build is as slow as the development of the real thing!).

jav5_zps43c5a074.jpg

I mentioned in the earlier post about the FAW9 exhaust parts supplied by Airfix as being too small, here are the kit parts laid on top of the scale drawings. As you can see it's a significant difference and something that really lets the kit down in this form.

Cor blimey, is that really how far out the Airfix rear end is? Time for a re-think before I do mine :hmmm: I have some proper sized Mk9 cans from the ZTS Plastyk Javelin but it looks like the whole rear end need widening and lengthening too :doh: The supplied Airfix parts look half the size they should be

This is looking great by the way

Cheers

Chris

Edited by chrisrope
  • Like 1

Looking good Duncan.

I really like your plan to build aircraft that have been based at Leuchars.

Can I ask what that black rubber glue is? Looks interesting.

Cheers

Aaron

Looking good Duncan.

I really like your plan to build aircraft that have been based at Leuchars.

Can I ask what that black rubber glue is? Looks interesting.

Cheers

Aaron

Hi Aaron

The glue is "Mxbon B684", I got it from a Japanese website after seeing an article by another modeller who used it as a filler too.

I'm slowly working my way through all the Fighter Squadrons and types that have been based at Leuchars from 1950 to the bitter end!

Duncan B

• Like 1

Cor blimey, is that really how far out the Airfix rear end is? Time for a re-think before I do mine :hmmm: I have some proper sized Mk9 cans from the ZTS Plastyk Javelin but it looks like the whole rear end need widening and lengthening too :doh: The supplied Airfix parts look half the size they should be

This is looking great by the way

Cheers

Chris

Yes, I'm afraid it is that far out. I want to make a few FAW 9s too but that is putting me off. I really hope Airfix scale down the 1/48 kit sometime soon.

Duncan B

Cheers Duncan,

After a quick google search Cartell http://www.cartell-uk.com/page6.htm appear to be a uk stockist and have a range of the Mxbon stuff. Can't see if it possible to order on their site. It may be bulk buy only but I might give them a shout and see.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

My last post had me trying to find excuses not to start the re-scribing of the Javelin, well I eventually ran out of them so had to make a start.

jav19_zps5caea3f2.jpg

So I gathered the plans, the tools and attempted to gather my wits and set to it. I soon found that scribing on a moving boat isn't any easier than doing it in my man-cave at home. You might be surprised to hear that it is actually quite a bit trickier so that is my excuse for such slow progress.

jav20_zpsf6676bbf.jpg

Incidentally this photo clearly shows why I won't be bothering to detail the cockpit, even with the canopy off it is just a black hole and very little will be visible.

jav22_zps2776c43e.jpg

I will keep plodding along with the main panel lines but the various access hatches will have to wait until I get home as I forgot to bring my stencils with me.

Duncan B

I know some people enjoy the scribing process but I dread it... Looks very neat.

I'm rather jealous that you can continue the hobby whilst at work :( what limitations do you have on the rig? Are you allowed to do your 'homer' in a workshop at all or are you confined to the cabin? Are you limited to just minor work or can you paint and use a wonderful concoction of chemicals too? To be fair I'm only away for 2 weeks which is nothing compared to 4 weeks so its great that you can carry on. There's only so much corrie and emerdale a man can take!

Cheers

Aaron

• Like 2

I know some people enjoy the scribing process but I dread it... Looks very neat.

I'm rather jealous that you can continue the hobby whilst at work :( what limitations do you have on the rig? Are you allowed to do your 'homer' in a workshop at all or are you confined to the cabin? Are you limited to just minor work or can you paint and use a wonderful concoction of chemicals too? To be fair I'm only away for 2 weeks which is nothing compared to 4 weeks so its great that you can carry on. There's only so much corrie and emerdale a man can take!

Cheers

Aaron

Hi Aaron

I hate scribing too but it had to be done on this one, at least the Javelin's shape makes it relatively easy as it's not a complex shape.

Modelling offshore is something that I've only just recently started. I'm on a boat so 99% of the crewchanges take place alongside which means I'm not carrying "dangerous" goods on those noisy deathtraps. I only carry the models back and fore anyway leaving the consumables onboard with my work gear etc. I prefer to work in my cabin (single man cabin so no neighbour to upset) so I can leave my stuff out while I'm on shift. I don't complete them offshore, I just get them to the pre priming stage then start the next one. I have the usual glues and fillers, scalpels etc. I have a small selection of acrylic paints for painting cockpits etc. all kept in a couple of plastic boxes (I think I posted a photo of my travel kit in my Lightning conversion WIP a month back IIRC).

I have thought about bringing out a small compressor and one of my older airbrushes but decided against it however if you want to see what can de done while offshore check out any of Arkady72's builds on BM. I worked with him for a few years and was amazed at the models he was producing offshore (NIgeria) and hand carrying home without any problems.

Duncan B

And I thought I was exterme modelling in the back of my car at lunch! Hat's off to you and really nice work on that Javelin!

Now I've heard it all! In the back of your car during lunch? Can anyone beat that modelling revelation?

Duncan B

• Like 1

Now I've heard it all! In the back of your car during lunch? Can anyone beat that modelling revelation?

Duncan B

Well you know... Wife, two little-uns, no time in the Evening. I had some free time during my lunch breaks so I thought ''why not do something useful?'' :)

Edited by Sir T

Well you know... Wife, two little-uns, no time in the Evening. I had some free time during my lunch breaks so I thought ''why not do something useful?'' :)

Sounds like a very good compromise, I didn't get back into modelling until my son was at school and my wife was back to work.

I am always impressed with the solutions we modellers find to the twin issues of not enough time or space for our hobby.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Sounds like a very good compromise, I didn't get back into modelling until my son was at school and my wife was back to work.

I am always impressed with the solutions we modellers find to the twin issues of not enough time or space for our hobby.

Duncan B

We're an inventive bunch when we need to be – you should see where I’ve hidden my stash!

Needs must I guess, I figured some modelling time was better than none. Otherwise I’d have been the same, waiting for everyone to grow up. Modelling whilst at sea though – that’s cool!

Regards

Stuart

• Like 1

Just had a look at Arkady72's stuff. WOW! Most impressive as they are but even more so by the fact they're done on a rig. Can't believe they survive the journey either!

I like your travel kit. That's the unfortunate difference with the boat and rig. No chance I'd be able to get the tools offshore on a chopper let alone be able to spend time in the cabin as my Roomie would kick up a fuss. Sharp knifes, chemicals with no MSDS or COSHH sheets - some do gooder would no doubt stamp out the fun. I reckon in a number of years if I'm still offshore nearing retirement, the rig will be ticking along as shale gas makes the North Sea rigs almost redundant - then as part of a skeleton crew I may be able to indulge in the hobby offshore.

Are you on the standby boats, dive boats or drlling barge / boats?

Cheers

Aaron

• Like 1