Black Widow ll - Finished

Hello all

After almost a years break I have been tempted back and the kit to begin with is the HobbyBoss YF-23.

Why, because I think it's one of the best looking planes ever built. Is the kit accurate, well no it's not. Do the shape issues bother me, not that much. It's just nice to have a 1/48 scale version of this aircraft.

I am not going to try and correct the main shape issue as I think it will be beyond my skills. But I will amend little bits.

Luckily Caracel models released the correct decals to recreate either test plane, as the kit decals are a bit poor and as much as a 'whiff' aircraft might be ok with some it's not for me. I will be doing PAV-1 (overall gunship grey)

Box shot
YF-231_zpsf7132af4.jpg

The first thing that got me was the size of the YF-23. When you open the box the fuselage pieces fill it. On dry fitting the main pieces together you really get a sense of how big this thing looks.
YF-232_zpsefddb1bd.jpg

The main thing I am going to alter is the exhausts, as the kit version is for PAV-2. PAV-1 did not have shrouds over the engines and it needs some of the cover taken away to expose more. Well looking on YF-23.net you can see the difference. I will be removing a small part of the upper fuselage as indicated below.

YF-233_zps635049fb.jpg

More soon

Thanks
Simon

Edited by Skids
  • Like 3

Good job Simon, will be following this one closely. Should really update my build log! Quite looking forward seeing your work on the exhausts. Thanks again for the help with the PAV2 decals. Good luck mate!

Edited by shawty82
  • Like 1

Thanks Chaps

Well cut the pieces out and now just need to line them up, funny thing is when you look at photos from the test flights there seems to be only 1 directional thrust flap, yet on the PAV-1 in the museum it seems to have 2, hmmm more investigation needed me thinks.

Anyway this is how it looks so far (the flap will line up flush with the fuselage when I'm done)

YF-234_zps0e19cf03.jpg

more soon

Thanks

Simon

Edited by Skids
  • Like 3

Hi

Not managed to get that much done over the last few days. I have under coated the wheel bays and painted them white (but forgot to take a picture of them) and done some research on PAV1.

It seems it does have two exhaust nozzles so now I need to make the other two by cutting down the two upper ones on the kit (which are for PAV2) and make the fit. I have managed to cut one down (shown with the other one), and I will add some length of plasticard to make it look longer.

YF-236_zps2846e548.jpg

More real soon

Thanks

Simon

• Like 2

Hello

Well I have managed to finish creating one side with the two exhaust nozzles. After a few test runs I finally got it to a point I am happy with.

YF-237_zpsc2eb2a66.jpg

Onto the second one now.

Also found the pic of the sprayed white wheel wells, amazing that most of the kit parts are on this board spayed white. A few detailing bits are needed on these before I put them together.

YF-235_zpsfa26ae77.jpg

I am really enjoying this kit

Thanks

Simon

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

Bit of a stall due to other commitments (blimey where has that month gone) but now its time to get going again.

Right I have started painting the wheel wells (pic soon) finished making the exhaust nozzles (primed just waiting for some paint).

And just added some wires to the undercarriage (pic below with a sneak of the wheel bays that wont be just white).

YF-238_zpsdc5333bd.jpg

More real soon

thanks

Simon

• Like 2

Cheers shawty82

Well a bit more done, wheel wells pretty much done bar putting them together. Starting on the cockpit now.

YF-239_zpse33a384e.jpg

YF-2310_zps9d975219.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

Hi All

Was going to start the cockpit but realised that its all wrong have found a few pics but none at the right angle to see whats behind the Aces seat. Anyone know where I can get a good pic?

In the mean time the engines are getting painted and I have decided to do a slight reshape on the intakes as they are the wrong shape. So time to cut away the blacked out areas.

Never tried anything this substantial in reshaping before but how hard can it be.

YF-2311_zps15e2d0d6.jpg

Might be back if it goes ok otherwise it will be a bin job.

Simon

ps Why is it so hard to build a kit OOB, I tried but I just cant do it

Edited by Skids
  • Like 4

Great choice Simon! Concerning the cockpit I recall that I have heared the cockpit of the YF-23 was basically using the rear cockpit of the F-15E (or just the instruments????). As this information may be wrong you should compare it yourself but it could be a starting point for aftermarket stuff. Sadly I have no cockpit pics of the YF-23 either.

Rene

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments,

I am going to try to cut down the fixes to a minimum if I can, I was intending an OOB on this kit but that went a bit wrong.

Will do the intakes, exhausts and cockpit.

Got some pics of directly behind the Aces but not the whole thing. Will make a start on this soon. In the meantime the intakes are starting to take shape. I am quite pleased so far.

YF-2312_zpsea8fedf6.jpg

YF-2314_zpsc25dbe43.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality pics.

More soon

Thanks

Simon

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Following a few weeks of my father-in-law being in and out of hospital not a great deal has been done.

But I have finally started the cockpit area. Studying photos (not that there are many of the cockpit area) I have decided to emulate what I can see and add a bit of my own interpretation.

So I have started by cutting away almost all from behind the seat and building it up with plasticard then adding detail.

YF-2315_zpse654a435.jpg

YF-2316_zpse3e5be45.jpg

More soon

Thanks

Simon

• Like 2

Thanks guys I am not very quick at this modelling lark, but there is no rush. (and Im sure someone will release a resin cockpit just as I finish mine)

Looks good so far Simon. Nice to see someone building it, rather than moaning about it being wrongo! ;)

Mike I am not a moaning about a kit type really. If I want to build it I will right or wrong. I think the moment I become the moaning whinger I will give up modelling. I just enjoy what I am doing. Isn't that what its all about?

At the end of the day (it gets dark!) I love the YF-23, one of the best ever looking aircraft created. So I'm gonna build it and have fun.

Simon

Edited by Skids
  • Like 1

Very much liking the build Simon, great to see you doing the rear cockpit properly! Have seen glimpses of the R2D2 style oxygen generators, you going to model them? What are you using for reference?

Sorry to hear about your father in law, really should reply to your last PM!!

• Like 1

Rant gone as on reflection that is for a different thread sorry to all those that had the misfortune to read it.

Cheers shawty82

I have found a few pics of the rear cockpit so I am going to try and make it look better. If anyone has any pics or links I would appreciate any help on the subject.

Yes I am going to have ago at the R2D2 oxygen generators.

No worries as I am sure you have been busy, liking your last build.

Off to study the pics now so will post more pics soon

Thanks

Simon

• Like 1

Another small update.

Before putting the detail parts in I have spent some trying to get the part that raises with the canopy (not sure what its called).

Had a few goes to get the shape right and I am finally getting to a position where I am happy with it. Hopefully it will look ok!

(Not finished at the back but the front half is almost done.

YF-2317_zps52cf0ba8.jpg

YF-2318_zps67cdf778.jpg

More soon

Thanks for looking in on my painfully slow modelling.

Simon

• Like 1

Hi All

I need some advice, I was masking the inside of the canopy and when carefully (or so I thought) cutting it to shape I have slipped and put a small scalpel line (not deep) on the visible part.

Will micro mesh solve the problem or is there anything I can do or has the :poo:

Any help appreciated

Simon