Lightning F2A, 92 Squadron 1972

Evenin' all!

After about three months of work, here's my Airfix Lightning, finished in the box scheme of XN793, based at Gütersloh with 92 squadron. (WIP here.)

Scratchbuilt detail was added in the cockpit, to the ejector seat, and in the wheel wells. One of my few real criticisms of this kit is that the cockpit is a little bland, with none of the lovely sidewall detail seen in the recent early Harrier kits, and really benefits from a bit of tarting up with the old plasticard and wire.

I also corrected a couple of minor errors such as the omission of the gun exhaust ports, the failure to flesh out the Firestreaks with fin fairings (try saying that after a few glasses of Rioja!), and the slightly oversized underwing serials.

Finish is predominantly Humbrol Metalcote from a rattle can, with the recommended Humbrol 25 for the blue spine. I used a brush to pick out some panels with Revell Aqua acryllics - I think this effect is often overdone on BMF finishes, but I'm quite pleased with the subtle effect I obtained here. Nose ring is Bare Metal Foil-the first time I've plucked up the courage to use this amazing stuff-but certainly not the last!

On the whole this is a superb kit with very few weak points, and as the first decent 1:72 representations of one of Britain's most iconic aircraft, deserves more hype than it recieved!

The only downsides are an irritating and tricky moulding flaw across the canopy, the aforementioned cockpit, and perhaps the lack of depth to the APU exhaust on the rear fuselage.

Hope you like it!

DSCF9341_zps8b9c15ff.jpg

[/url]

DSCF9342_zpsd5f51f5d.jpg

DSCF9343_zps13d36b29.jpg

DSCF9344_zps52599124.jpg

DSCF9347_zps9b0e26d0.jpg

DSCF9348_zps456bc7c4.jpg

DSCF9349_zps58caaddc.jpg

DSCF9350_zps0efda56d.jpg

DSCF9351_zps86412136.jpg

DSCF9352_zpse5289ae6.jpg

DSCF9354_zps44ff5a2e.jpg

Thank HEAVENS we can now throw our Trumpeter kits overarm into the nearest dustbin!

Edited by Vulcanicity
  • Like 16

O`er,....that is a bit special,......it looks real! Your natural metal looks perfect, the weathering is spot on and I hope mine turns out half as nice,....isn`t this one of the best ever Lightning schemes,....only bettered by the earlier 92 Sqn scheme with the chevron on the nose?

Well done indeed,

Cheers

Tony

ouch,...I`ve just noticed that you`ve put the left hand fin stripe on the wrong way around,....please ask somebody on here who has made the camo decal option to send you their spares so that you can change it as you`ve made such a good model! It is easily done and we`ve all done it,...usually when we are tired or rushing to get it finished!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Beeeaaaauuutiful Phil!

Classic British fighter in a classic scheme, and I'll use your WIP for guidance to do mine. You've convinced me to do it out of the box in that scheme. Lovely!

Cheers

John

Very nice looking Lightning.

I don't know whether or not to ditch my Trumpeter F.3 kit - I'm half way through it and have spend a fair bit of time on it, though to finish it will take just as long as building the entire Airfix kit. Maybe I will finish it and keep it well away from the Airfix ones ;)

Thanks everyone-especially Tony for pointing out my idiotic mistake! I've been modelling for 16 years, and in nearly 90 1:72 aircraft I can honestly say I've never put a fin flash on back-to front! :banghead::doh:

I'll do a "Wanted" thread accordingly...

i have to say, i never liked lightning that much, it looked like fat whale to me.. but after watching more and more of these lately, its starting to look like nice aircraft to me.. :) Anyway, your definitely is nicely done, i like the wheel wells details!

`FAT WHALE',.......Careful,.....you`re in danger of being lynched for such blasphemy here on Britmodeller where quite a few people hold the Lightning on a pedestal and probably pray to it every day!! As you say though,....you are already being converted into recognising the hidden beauty of the type,.....we`ll soon have you eating fish and chips, drinking best bitter and changing your name to John Smith soon!

LOL,.....

Tony

PS- Glad that you took my comments in the way they were intended Phil,.....I hope that you find a fin flash decal. You might just have to buy another to do in the camo scheme and use the left over fin flash for your silver model?

Thanks again all!

General Jumbo: It's Bare Metal Foil. I was scared of the stuff for a long time, but caved in and bought some. If you've never tried it, then do - it's amazing!

I am sorted for fin flash thanks! The wonder of Britmodeller :)

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks to the generosity of Kev (Jockster) I have sorted the fin flash issue and the Lightning is done.

Here it is with a couple of contemporaries (builds from 2011 and 2012) both of which need some replacement pitot probes!

DSCF9356_zpsd0ccd1ca.jpg