Revell Formula 1 Car - Mercedes Petronas **COMPLETED **

Thanks Steve,

I actually use Revell contacta liquid cement with the needle applicator for the majority of my models.

I offered the parts up to each other without glue, but they don't fit together well as there are actually holes to pin them to on the rear of the chassis. When they are pinned into place there is only one position to pin what are two very large pieces into place as they don't meet the actual chassis. When the rear wing pieces are inserted into the slots on one side they don't meet the other panel as the gap between them is too large.

I still have all of the parts and am prepared to take some pictures to show what I mean if anyone would be interested to see them.

I've actually built a number of Revell kits in the past including the McLaren Mercedes MP4-25 (there is a Ready for inspection thread for it on here somewhere or there are photos on the Facebook page linked in my signature below) and have always found the quality to be good.

I have asked Revell for another kit to try again on, but have asked them what they intend to do about the fit issue with the rear wing components before I build it again. I have kept all of the components for the failed RedBull to see if I can figure out a way to make the rear wing work as well before I build again.

I have been in contact with another member of britmodeller by email who had exactly the same problem with both sets of tail fins and decals before disposing of the kit entirely.

Anyway onto nicer subjects, I have made a lot of progress with the Mercedes getting a lot of stages ready with decals, but the one thing I don't understand is why any F1 designer would give the car tartan seat panels.

I will have some photos in the morning.

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

Hi Everyone,

Here is my update for the Petronas Mercedes kit. I didn't take a picture of the tartan decals before applying them as they are very visible on the seat when its assembled.

Anyway onto the photos.

Completed Cockpit Assembly :

CockpitAssembly_zps6ba2003f.jpg

I know the back of the steering wheel isn't painted properly, but it won't be visible once its in the car.

Chassis Assembly (up to stage 16) :

ChassisAssembly_zps1ac75b3c.jpg

Why can't every Revell F1 car fit together as well as this car is so far ? I think everyone knows which car I am referring to when I say that.

Thanks as always for looking.

Rick

Excellent. Love the tartan.

I must say, the carbon fibre decals are very effective. Especially on the last photo, above.

Looking good.

Tom.

• Like 1

Excellent. Love the tartan.

I must say, the carbon fibre decals are very effective. Especially on the last photo, above.

Looking good.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, the decals especially the carbon fibre ones are much better than the ones on the red bull it almost seems like cartograf decals (which these are) are of a much better quality than the ones produced for the red bull rb8.

More progress later today.

Rick

Hi Everyone,

Here is yet another update for my Petronas Mercedes kit.

Onto the photos.

Cockpit Installed From Above:

Cockpitinstalledfromabove_zpsd70b4237.jp

Cockpit & Air Intakes installed from below :

Cockpitandairintakesinstalledfromunderne

The following photos show the parts (including the main bodywork) which have been given a single coat of Revell Acrylic paint no. 99 Aluminium.

Bodyworkpainted_zps15274b1e.jpg

Sidepodshalfpainted_zps1039f351.jpg

Frontwingpainted_zpse276cbc3.jpg

Wheelspainted_zpse7227756.jpg

Bodypanelspainted_zps0ea6c280.jpg

Bodypanelspainted2_zpsf41bdaa5.jpg

Rearwingpanel1painted_zps2eb3ef21.jpg

Thanks as always for looking. More progress either tomorrow or Monday.

Rick

• Like 1

April 21st - Update 1

Hi Everyone,

Here is the 1st of today's updates.

Hopefully I will post at least one more. Anyeay onto the photos :

Front Suspension installed:

FrontSuspensioninstalled_zps1db1a059.jpg

Side Pods Installed:

SidePodInstalled1_zpsd4e9522e.jpg

SidePodInstalled2_zps9acb6780.jpg

Front Wing Installed & Bodywork fitted to Chassis :

FrontWingampChassisInstalled_zpsf0bba497

I am working on the Matt Silver stripe decals. They are currently drying on the front wing in preparation for fitting the decals over the top for the main decals.

I will be continuing with the silver stripe decals.

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

April 21st - Update 2

I have got the tail fin.rear wing assembly built up and fitted to the car JUST.

One of the locating lugs snapped off so I had to glue the lug into place once the rear wing was installed.

Hopefully once the glue is cured the rear wing assembly will be secure enough for me to put the decals on, luckily the interior decals for the fins have slots in them which will allow me to fit them in place once the glue is dried.

UPDATE ON REDBULL

I am awaiting acknowledgement from Revell regarding the Red bull kit which I emailed them about last week. I have had a read receipt today from them, which I find strange as they should be closed today.

I have asked them for a new kit for the Red bull.

Will update as soon as they come back to me.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

April 25th update:

I have prepared the remaining matt silver decals for application which I will do tonight.

Luckily it appears that the majority of them are applied in sets rather than individual decals.

I will be getting that done and then working on the final assembly and rest of the decals, i want this kit finished by the end of the weekend if i can.

Photos later.

Rick

Hi Everyone,

Here is the update for this kit today (and several other days worth of work)

Before Matt Silver Decals:

BeforeMattSilverDecals_zps21b6cbed.jpg

Matt Silver Decals Finished :

MattSilverDecalsFinished_zpsb2050bd3.jpg

Rear Wing Decals :

RearWingDecals-Front_zps365de9fe.jpg

RearWingDecals-Rear_zps65288eeb.jpg

Excuse the rear wing angles. The fit of the parts is not perfect.

Front Wing (Matt Silver Decals Done - Main Decals/Assembly Underway

FrontWingMainDecals_zps3092e5f2.jpg

Side Fins Right Hand Side - No Decals

SideFinsRight-NoDecals_zpsff975fc3.jpg

Side Fins Left Hand Side - No Decals

SideFinsLeft-NoDecals_zps91f58f5f.jpg

Thats all of the progress for the moment. I have been out all day so haven't been able to get anymore work done.

Hopefully I will get some more work done over the next few days to get this kit completed.

Rick

April 28th Update 1:

Aside from wheels, wing mirrors and 2 fins (which I am going to install after the decals are complete), the build of this car is complete.

I have already made a start on putting decals in place and will hopefully have this complete tonight or tomorrow.

Rick

April 29th Update 1 :

The decals for this kit are now all complete. I have taken photos, but haven't time to post them before I leave for work.

I will put them up tonight as all I have left are the wing mirrors and wheels to assemble and fit.

This will go into the ready for inspection thread tonight.

REDBULL NOTE : I am still waiting for Revell to provide me with their response to my complaint from April 18th 2014.

Photos later.

Rick

Hi Everyone,

This will be the last post in this thread as I am about to start work on constructing and attaching the wheels to this car.

As soon as that is done, I will post the link to the RFI Thread here.

Anyway onto the photos.

Top Decals Complete

Wholetop_zps98d6358e.jpg

Left Side Complete

LHSWhole_zps9170d496.jpg

Right Side Complete

RHSSideComplete_zps2d1ffa6a.jpg

Fin Decals

Findecals_zpsb38889f8.jpg

As always thanks for looking.

Rick

Hi Everyone,

Here is the link to the RFI thread for the Mercedes Petronas kit.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234960093-revell-124-mercedes-gp-petronas-mgp-w01-schumacher/

I have also got a plan to salvage the Redbull kit from this thread into something a bit different, I will explain in a different thread.

I have heard from Revell today and they are going to be sending me another RB8 kit with new decals etc for me to go at it again. It was a very close thing as apparently the RB8 kits are limited edition and the decals are made by Redbull (rather than Revell) so they were considering not sending me another kit to build. I might have used a guilt trip just a little, lol.

I will be starting a new thread for the RB8 rather than using this thread as it turned into being more about the Mercedes Petronas than the Redbull.

Thanks for all the comments and support on this thread, I look forward to your comments on the completed build's RFI thread.

Regards,

Rick