Revell Formula 1 Car - Mercedes Petronas **COMPLETED **

Hi Everyone,

I have a pair of Formula 1 cars in my stash which I intend to paint and build at the same time.

I have the Revell 1/24 Red Bull Racing RB8 with decals for Mark Webber's version and a Revell 1/24 Mercedes GP Petronas MGP W01 which has decals for Rosberg and Schumacher (I will be building this one with Schumacher's decals).

Here are the pictures of the box art as I haven't taken pictures of the sprues yet as these kits were washed at the same time as the F-14A.

Redbull RB8 :
RedbullWebber_zpsfde44213.jpg

Mercedes Petronas:
MercedesPetronasSchumacher_zpsd68b1ebf.j

Once finished, these 2 builds will join my McLaren F1 car which I finished last year in my display cabinet.

I will update with sprue pictures later on.

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I will be working on these kits within this thread but will be positing each kit separately so that the progress is easy to follow for each kit.

This post shows the sprues for the Red Bull RB-8.

SprueA_zpsb0e032cc.jpg

SprueB_zps4d76bf4a.jpg

SprueC_zpsd600db1b.jpg

More progress when painting/assembly begins.

Rick

Having built the red bull I can say it is a dream to build just the rbr decals on the side pods need a bucket load of microsol and I will be watching the merchant build as it's one I have been looking to do recently

Shaun

Having built the red bull I can say it is a dream to build just the rbr decals on the side pods need a bucket load of microsol and I will be watching the merchant build as it's one I have been looking to do recently

Shaun

Thanks Shaun,

As soon as I get the kits started more photos will be forthcoming.

Rick

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at these kits tonight and am planning to work on the component painting for the chassis and assembling the chassis.

With regards to the bodywork, I am going to build both sets of bodywork and glue them together prior to painting them especially the red bull as I have a tamiya rattle can of the redbull racing blue to use on it. I don't want the paint to be ruined by gluing them together (this was one of the problems i had with the mclaren mp4-25 f1 car I built last year).

I will be starting work on these kits tomorrow evening, unfortunately due to problems with equipment at home I have not been able to get anything done this evening.

Rick

Looking forward to this. With your ongoing Hawk project and now two cars, you do like to keep yourself busy, don't you.

Cheers,

Tom.

Looking forward to this. With your ongoing Hawk project and now two cars, you do like to keep yourself busy, don't you.

Cheers,

Tom.

Yeah I do like to keep busy.

I don't get to do much work on any of my kits so I have to plan ahead, besides the Hawk is almost finished construction wise. Just a bit more paint and its onto the decals.

Cheers,

Rick

• Like 1

Yeah I do like to keep busy.

I don't get to do much work on any of my kits so I have to plan ahead, besides the Hawk is almost finished construction wise. Just a bit more paint and its onto the decals.

Cheers,

Rick

I have two kits on the go at the moment, so like to keep busy as well. I think, though I will just stick to one at a time, mainly due to space.

UPDATE - BOTH KITS

I have started painting the components of these kits.

I have got the first few stages on both kits painted, but haven't started assembly work on them yet.

I am hoping to start work on assembly tomorrow.

Photos to follow.

Rick

I have built the Merc, A very good kit, Just the Silver stripes was a pain, I plan on starting the RB this weekend, I have purchesd Revell spary 34200 RBR blue, never used there sprays before but will give them ago....

MERCEDES UPDATE:

I have got all of the engine construction stages completed.

So far I have had to remove locating lugs from the rear of parts D4 and D5 as they do not line up with the holes in the parts assembled and had to remove the pins to locate the assembled exhaust pipes from 2 of each set of exhaust pipes as they are too large to fit into the holes on the engine sides otherwise everything has fitted correctly.

Photos tomorrow morning.

Rick

MERCEDES UPDATE PHOTOS:

Here are the photos I took last night.

I have continued with the painting of the components tonight so that I can continue with the construction.

Engine (No Exhausts):

MercedesEngineNoExhausts_zps3eea3ebb.jpg

Exhaust pipe construction:

MercedesExhaustConstruction_zpsa0ec3880.

Engine Exhausts On :

MercedesEngineExhaustson_zps7cff3869.jpg

More photos to follow.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

UPDATE 2:

I have started construction on the assembly of the chassis and engines for both kits.

No photos taken as not enough progress. I will get some as soon as the kits show a bit more progress on assembly.

Rick

REDBULL UPDATE:

Been working to paint as many of the components of this kit as possible so that I can get as far as possible and get the bodywork primed and painted.

Will be working on the Mercedes kit later on.

Rick

BOTH KITS UPDATE :

Mercedes kit is fully primed ready for complete painting. Majority of the remaining components have already been painted and are ready for assembly.

Redbull is about to be primed and then spray painted in the Tamiya Redbull Blue.

Photos later.

Rick

Unfortunately, the spray paint for the body of the Redbull car hasn't taken correctly and has bubbled in places meaning that I now need to strip all the paint off the body and start all over again.

I have no spray paint left, so this probably means that i have to strip the paint off all of the blue painted components because I will probably have to change the colour.

Does anyone if TS89 Pearl Blue is available in a brush painting tin rather than spraying ?

I am absolutely furious as a lot of work has gone into this kit over the course of this weekend.

I will still take some photos of the kit, but I won't be keeping the paint the way it is now.

Can anyone please advise if they think this paint would work as a suitable alternative : http://www.revell.de/en/products/colors-glue-co/email-color/id/32151.html

The reason I ask is that I am not happy to spend anymore time or money spray painting this kit (or any other kit I build again, hairy sticks all the way for me).

Rick (originally I put Rock)

MERCEDES UPDATE :

Here is the update for the Mercedes kit.

I have got the majority of the components painted and the remaining ones have been primed.

Here are the photos :

Primed Bodywork :

PrimedBodywork_zpsec789f9c.jpg

Primed Components :

PrimedComponents_zpsee2f57ea.jpg

Painted Components :

PaintedComponents1_zps9d626dc5.jpg

PaintedComponents2_zpsc7f0c42e.jpg

Unprimed Components :

UnprimedComponents_zpse6cef8d0.jpg

I have left these components unprimed as they are extremely small components and will be easy to paint.

Thanks for looking at the one success story of the weekend.

Rick

REDBULL UPDATE- STATUS DISASTER

This kit has suffered a paint disaster with the Tamiya TS89 Pearl Blue spray paint.

All of the components that needed to be painted blue came out perfectly, but when it came to the main bodywork, the paint ran and bubbled in places meaning that i had to place it in a biscuit tin with a coating of fairy power spray to get the paint off so that I can repaint it.

I believe I have a suitable replacement paint colour in Revell Enamel paint 51 - Ultramarine Blue.

Anyway here are the photos.

Painted Bodywork:

Bodywork_zpsbf4294d4.jpg

Disaster Area 1:

PaintDisaster_zpsc8a589e8.jpg

Other than the problem with the main body paintwork, the kit has come out really well. The rest of the bodywork is painted and the components are also painted.

Here are the photos of the components.

PaintedComponents1_zps00c7bda4.jpg

PaintedComponents2_zps43f2986c.jpg

I have now sworn that I will never spray another model kit again.

I am going to stick to the hairy stick method of painting in all my modelling endeavours.

I will take some more pictures as soon as the paint is removed from the bodywork, ready for re-painting.

Thanks for looking at my disaster with the paint.

Rick (Severely disappointed and absolutely furious)