Revell Formula 1 Car - Mercedes Petronas **COMPLETED **

It looks as though it got to hot and blistered or there was some sort od contaminate on the primer

I have to spray outside in a cardboard box due to smell of the paint (as i have a dog) and it may have got the sun on it while it was drying.

Do you have any recommendations on what paint I can use to paint it again ?

I have several Revell blues :

51 - Ultramarine Blue, gloss

52 - Blue, gloss

54 - Night Blue, gloss

56 - Blue, matt

Cheers,

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

The only paint I know that is remotely close is tamiyas ts51 but not sure about the pot paints and if it got in the sun don't worry I have done something similar before, I put a freshly sprayed car on top of a radiator I thought was off came back to it half an hour later and it had the same look all up the side of it

The only paint I know that is remotely close is tamiyas ts51 but not sure about the pot paints and if it got in the sun don't worry I have done something similar before, I put a freshly sprayed car on top of a radiator I thought was off came back to it half an hour later and it had the same look all up the side of it

Thanks very much.

I might have a colour that matches fairly well.

I bought a pot of Revell #54 Aqua colour Night Blue Gloss which looks very close to the colour for the body of the car especially when dry for my lifeboat build from last year.

Here is a photo of the colour (from the Revell website) :

blue_zpsb1739551.jpg

And here is a picture of the dry colour :

PortSide_zps3a87ef0f.jpg

I think this will work. What does everyone else think ?

Rick

Disaster averted.

Painting is once again underway with the Revell 54 Night Blue acrylic which once dry is a very good match.

I have smoothed out the bubbles on the bodywork with a bit of fine grade sandpaper before hitting the body with the new paint.

I will be giving the rest of the components a paint coat later this evening.

Hairy stick painting is definitely for me rather than spraying with paint (priming is a different story that makes painting easier).

Photographic update will follow as soon as the painting is complete and construction is back on track.

Rick

REDBULL UPDATE

Painting of this kit is now ccomplete.

All I have left to do is apply carbon fibre decals to the chassis and then work can begin on construction and decals.

MERCEDES UPDATE

This kit is ready for final painting of the components.

I will be doing this tomorrow and then its onto carbon decals and construction.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

REDBULL UPDATE

Carbon fibre decals have been applied to the chassis so I will be able to begin construction this kit tonight.

Photos tonight as I will be making some progress tonight.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

What primer did you use under the Tamiya TS-89..?? Looks like you may have sprayed the TS-89 too heavily and it's bubbled the primer, or it pooled up and caused the bubbles (solvent pop) because the previous layers were not dry properly, meaning the solvents can't escape and when you have put more layers on, the solvents have risen up and worked their way out of the layers, causing the effect you see, it looks like craters on the moon..?? Don't give up on the spray painting. If you can use primer you can spray paint with colour too, it just takes practice. It does give a far superior finish than brush painting once you master it :)

What primer did you use under the Tamiya TS-89..?? Looks like you may have sprayed the TS-89 too heavily and it's bubbled the primer, or it pooled up and caused the bubbles (solvent pop) because the previous layers were not dry properly, meaning the solvents can't escape and when you have put more layers on, the solvents have risen up and worked their way out of the layers, causing the effect you see, it looks like craters on the moon..?? Don't give up on the spray painting. If you can use primer you can spray paint with colour too, it just takes practice. It does give a far superior finish than brush painting once you master it :)

Thanks Steve,

I used the Humbrol primer (grey one), can't remember what number.

I might have not let the layers dry properly but i left it quite a while before painting it again.

I have since got it painted using a brush on this one as i haven't got enough £ to buy another can of paint at the moment.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks Steve,

I used the Humbrol primer (grey one), can't remember what number.

I might have not let the layers dry properly but i left it quite a while before painting it again.

I have since got it painted using a brush on this one as i haven't got enough £ to buy another can of paint at the moment.

Cheers,

Rick

I think the Humbrol primer may have been the problem. I'm fairly sure it's an acrylic base. The TS is lacquer and has probably eaten into the acrylic. If you can get the grey plastic primer from Halfords that will work well under TS spray. Glad you got the body painted anyway and I look forward to seeing some pictures when you post them. Good luck with the rest of the build :)

REDBULL UPDATE

Stages 1-17 of the construction have now been completed including carbon fibre decals,

Prep work for stages 18 - 20 is also complete (carbon fibre decals installed).

Photos tomorrow evening as construction continues including photos of the newly finished bodywork paint.

Thanks as always for looking.

Rick

REDBULL UPDATE :

Stages 18 - 23 are complete. This includes installing 2 of the blue body panels.

It's finally beginning to look like a car.

Just need to get some progress on the Mercedes now so that kit gets to the same kind of point over the next few days.

Rick

REDBULL UPDATE:

Here is today's update.

The pictures show Stages 1 - 23 complete and also the newly repainted bodywork.

Anyway onto the photos.

Stages 1 -23

Stages1-23_zps82822254.jpg

Painted Bodywork

PaintedBody2_zpsd306aafb.jpg

Anyway I am on holiday now for 2 days and then Easter, so progress will be extremely rapid over the next couple of days.

I will also be starting to work on the Mercedes project to get some more progress on that one as well.

Thanks as always for looking.

Rick

REDBULL UPDATE

Stages 24 - 33 are now complete.

I have begun installing components into the main body including the drivers cockpit and front suspension upper half.

I will be posting more photos tomorrow as I am out tonight.

Rick

REDBULL UPDATE

The fit together of this kit is awful most of the body components do not even form a nice join together.

The air intake pods despite almost an hour of constant pressure being applied do not even close together properly.

I am so disappointed with this kit that I do not actually think I can continue with it.

I will also never be building a Formula 1 car again as soon as I finish the Mercedes Petronas car.

Rick

Don't get disheartened. F1 models, much like their 1:1 counterparts, are complicated beasts.

I have built a Revell McLaren MP4-25 (1:24) and a Tamiya Ferrari F189 (1:20) and found the Tamiya model(s) to be far superior in fit, finish and detail.

If I can be so bold and offer to a suggestion/advice. It would appear to me that you have applied the paint top coat to a primer layer that is not properly dry. On average, I would spend a week getting the bodywork sanded, primer layers sorted and then leaving it up to a week to fully dry. Only then would I start on the proper paint layer.

The other trick is to apply lots of thin coats (primer or top coat) and build it up. Allowing drying and wet-sanding time in between. After all, if its not quite right, you can always add more layers but you can't take it off if you've gone to far.

I hope this is useful.

Good luck.

Don't get disheartened. F1 models, much like their 1:1 counterparts, are complicated beasts.

I have built a Revell McLaren MP4-25 (1:24) and a Tamiya Ferrari F189 (1:20) and found the Tamiya model(s) to be far superior in fit, finish and detail.

If I can be so bold and offer to a suggestion/advice. It would appear to me that you have applied the paint top coat to a primer layer that is not properly dry. On average, I would spend a week getting the bodywork sanded, primer layers sorted and then leaving it up to a week to fully dry. Only then would I start on the proper paint layer.

The other trick is to apply lots of thin coats (primer or top coat) and build it up. Allowing drying and wet-sanding time in between. After all, if its not quite right, you can always add more layers but you can't take it off if you've gone to far.

I hope this is useful.

Good luck.

Looking really good Rick. That is one hell of a speed you are working at.

Cheers,

Tom.

Thanks guys, I am going to keep going.

I think I might have sorted a way to get it done.

I will be trying it out later as I have got so far and want to finish it now.

Photos tonight when this thing will hopefully be finished.

Rick

ReDBULL UPDATE:

This build is now back on track.

Up to stage 39 of the assembly work is now completed.

Work on stages 40 - 52 is currently on going with various pieces of construction and decal application underway.

Photos later.

Rick

REDBULL UPDATE:

Stages 40 - 49 are now complete.

Decals for stages 50-52 are fitted to the parts. Photos will follow later as the camera batteries died before I could take anyway.

I have got a photo of the kit assembled up to stage 49 which I will post as soon as the batteries have some charge.

Rick

REDBULL UPDATE:

Here are the photos I took earlier this evening of this kit.

I was really happy with the progress on this kit until I started assembling the tail section of the kit.

Stages 1- 49 completed:

Stages1-49_zpsf887aa44.jpg

Piece D78 Front:

PieceD78Front_zpsc11deb2c.jpg

Piece D78 Rear

PieceD78Rear_zpsf93dfa02.jpg

Tail Decals Inside OK :

TailDecalInsideOK_zps3cfdebad.jpg

Tail Decals Outside OK

TailDecalOutsideOK_zps31e8aba3.jpg

Now for the bad news.

Whilst assembling the tail section (adding the tail fins, rear wing assemblies) the inner decals on the fins and the decal on the upper rear wing section have been damaged by glue as the entire rear tail assembly does not fit correctly to the car and as such the decals have been extremely badly damaged and are not removable from the rear fin assembly and I have no replacements without straying away from my planned assembly for the Australian grand prix.

I tried to assemble the tail section both on and off the rear section of the car and it didn't work at all because even with putting pressure to push the fins inward they still didn't attach to the inner fin assemblies.

I am writing a letter of complaint to Revell (which I am going to e-mail as I have a contact at Revell UK) as this is not the only fit issue with this kit today. I am going to be requesting a replacement kit from them free of charge as the tail of this kit is not salvageable.

I am putting this kit on hold until I hear from Revell, but I am reiterating my point from earlier today, after I finish the mercedes, I will never build another F1 car again.

Anyway here are the photos of the damaged decals caused by the poor fitting tail section.

Tail Decal Inside 1 (Damaged) :

TailDecalDamaged1_zpsbe3f26ed.jpg

Tail Decal Damaged Inside 2

TailDecalDamaged2_zps0846ad9a.jpg

Tail Decal Damaged 3

TailDecalDamaged3_zps00acd875.jpg

Piece C72 Broke on first insertion into body

PieceC72_zps2fdeb4c2.jpg

Thanks as always for looking, apologies for the extremely long post and bad news about the kit, I thought I was going to have this thing finished in the next couple of days, but I don't think that is going to happen now.

Rick

This thread will now be for the Mercedes Petronas kit that I have got on the bench.

I have looked at the decals for this kit and noticed that the tail fin assembly decals have slots in them to allow for fitting of the decals after the setup of the tail assembly. The decals were made by cartograf.com and appear to be of a lot better quality than the ones for the Redbull kit.

Photo update later today for the Mercedes kit.

Rick

What a shame. What type of glue did you use for the assembly of the rear wing..?? Liquid cement type or some other..?? Did you test fit the tail sections together before any painting had taken place..?? It would have exposed any potential fit problems before painting whilst you could still have made some adjustments to the overall fit. It's very hard after painting to do that without damaging the paint and/or decals.

I think you had a bad experience and to be honest, you didn't start your F1 building career with a very good kit. Revell kits are not bad, but the quality is a bit hit and miss in my experience. They are not the best kits to cut your F1 teeth on. I think if you tried a Tamiya kit you would see a massive difference in quality and fit. It's a real shame you started out with a Revell kit because it seems to have put you off for life on building F1 cars. Don't be too disheartened. I always think that you're only as good as your last kit and strive to always do better on my next. If you have a particular kit that has been a real troublesome build just put it aside and try again, because next time you will know all the pit falls and you will have learnt from your mistakes, so you can make a better job on any new kit you try. Forget the Red Bull now it's finished. Put your effort into the Mercedes now and start that with a clear mind. Put all memories of the Red Bull aside and give the Mercedes your best shot. However, whatever happens, DO NOT GIVE UP..!!! I usually have a "disaster kit" every five kits. I make some mistake with the painting or something else and end up stripping it over and starting again. But I always try to finish it and make it right. I've never, in 25 years of automotive modelling built a kit that I was 100% satisfied with, nothing that I could say was "perfect" I've come close a few times, but I've never achieved my idea of "perfection" If the day ever arrives where I do, it will be the day I retire from making models..!! Keep your chin up Rick and let's see this Mercedes..!!

• Like 1