Does anyone else watch Wheeler Dealers?

aerofan

Might have been asked before so for that I apologize. I've watched most of the recent ones and recently watched the older ones online. Although many people squawk about the work done on the cars, I simply like it for the work Ed does. Many of the things he does seem pretty much general maintenance and the bigger jobs, which could have been avoided with routine maintenance, are very interesting to see. Just wondering how many others watch and their opinion about the show.

Edited by aerofan

I think I've seen most of the shows. They are now being re-run (again) on Discovery here.

Although the Discovery we watch is for Italy! Plus another two Polish Discovery channels.

Routine maintenance & checking can save you money, true.

Nice blokes, saw them at the NEC a couple of years ago.

There are bits on the cars that get fixed without being filmed,

(Accident damage on an American car disappeared between scenes)

And the Valet & Polish/detailing may be done by professionals.

There are worse ways to spend your time than watching,

And it can be educational. That's my excuse, anyway.

• Like 1

I watch it and I must admit I quite like the program, it does show a lot of jobs you could do yourself and save a fair bit of money. But I often think , when Mike tots up the cost at the end and gloats about his profit, what does Ed get out of it ? . There's never any allowance for the time Ed puts in, which must be considerable, wouldn't last long if it were a real business.

Andrew

Id guess and profit goes to the production company.

I like the show, they do some good work and they do seam to get the details done as well. Nice to see some moden classics getting attention. Series 10 is on in the UK now, they did a Ford Fiesta XR2i, 933 last week, and on Monday its an RX7 IIR

I'm a big fan and as a result now know 'something' about the dark arts of mechanics. I was even talking about tracking rods recently!

Mike's cheeky cockney act could be throttled back a bit and Edd's assistant should be given more credit as I doubt Edd does everything himself.

I agree the 'profit' is notional as labour costs aren't factored in.

Still it's an entertaining hour and I'm looking forward to what happens on the Mazda tomorrow.

Trevor

Yes if they have to factor in Ed's labour into the cost, every car sales would be at a loss. I agree that those "profits" go to the production company for expenses and to purchase future cars. I'd definitely like to see all the work done on each car but I think DW wouldn't want a show that's 24 hours long :lol:. The nice part is that they work on cars that aren't too old so many of the tips can be used on your own car. I thought Ed and Mike would be nice chaps because it shows through on every episode.

I've also watched those old Chop Shop London garage shows too but not a big fan of Leepu's work - all those nice cars turned into :shit:. Bernie is a character and I do slightly enjoy his old Classic Car Rescue shows but not for the reality scripted drama junk parts. If they focused on the work done to the cars it would be a better show.

Edited by aerofan

I watch the show but I can't help feeling it has lost some of it's original charm. Now there seems to be no end of money to throw at the cars and the gadgets and gizmos in the workshop would put many a main dealer to shame.

Still enjoy it though.

Mike D.

Mike D, I kind of feel the same. I recall how they bought that Ford Capri and Ed painted the wings due to the budget. Too bad the humidity caused a poor job during the clear coat phase. It's fun to see how they evolved though. From that warehouse like workshop to the one they are currently in. Also, how both Ed China and Mike Brewer evolved as tv personalities.

Edited by aerofan

Personally I'd like more technical content/techniques - and the amounts they quote for a 'restoration' based upon what they appear to do in the show are a little wide of the mark IMHO.

If anyone sees the Esprit episodes - the silver Turbo Esprit at the beginning - filmed at Kemble - is mine - with me driving :)

Iain

If anyone sees the Esprit episodes - the silver Turbo Esprit at the beginning - filmed at Kemble - is mine - with me driving :)

Iain

How did you get that gig and are you in the credits?

Trevor

My car was down in Devon having some work done (S J Sportscars) and they were down there filming.

Part of the format back then was to show a premium example of the breed at the beginning of each programme and then go out and find their own for restoration.

They saw mine and asked Steve if he'd put them in touch with me - which they did.

No credits - got a lunch and a copy of the programme for helping out - and it's added to the history of the car if I ever sell.

Production crew were great and it was good fun :)

Me and the producer:

232_12368123122_1175_n.jpg

Two weeks later I spent a day with Classic and Sportscar for a photosheet/feature.

Iain

I'm a big fan of Wheeler Dealers and usually love what they do.

But did you see what they did this week to that poor Mazda.?

Deary me.........

Graham

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Wheeler Dealers and usually love what they do.

But did you see what they did this week to that poor Mazda.?

Deary me.........

Graham

Wasn't exactly a looker to begin with!

Trevor