Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

As well as hacking away at the Roc project, I have got the cabin windows installed in the SH-34, along with the section of tail rotor shaft immediately aft of the transmission deck. This has allowed me to start gluing various sub-assemblies into the port fuselage. Once these have had time to cure, I will knock together some bits for the starboard equipment rack and it will be time to button up the fuselage at long last. Once this has been accomplished and the join cleaned up, there should be some fairly rapid progress with the build.

Thanks for looking. Sorry there is not more to show today but I am typing this under the influence of four pints of Sharp's Atlantic ale and much more than a pint at lunchtime and this Martian is pretty much anybody's. :pardon:

Martian of the Liquid Lunch

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 14

Very nice, Martian.

Sharps Atlantic? Nice.

All I had in the beer fridge

was Kronenbourg 1664.

It help dinner go down though.

The RAF Wessex had a thin 20swg

cover over the drive shaft in the cabin.

I think that was just to stop the Pongoes

from playing games with it as it turned.

Aft of the rear cabin bulkhead it was uncovered.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I will knock together some bits

I say old chap that all sounds a bit cavalier ..............

Beer or no beer, we have certain expectations of you..............

Kev

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Very nice, Martian.

Sharps Atlantic? Nice.

All I had in the beer fridge

was Kronenbourg 1664.

It help dinner go down though.

The RAF Wessex had a thin 20swg

cover over the drive shaft in the cabin.

I think that was just to stop the Pongoes

from playing games with it as it turned.

Aft of the rear cabin bulkhead it was uncovered.

Thanks Pete, I left the shaft uncovered on purpose as I wanted to make a feature of it.

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

I say old chap that all sounds a bit cavalier ..............

Beer or no beer, we have certain expectations of you..............

Kev

You don't believe in putting pressure on an alien, do you?

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

This is a family site you know!

Must be the beer talking.

Possibly, band was "interesting" tonight, especially after I topped up with some more beer! I remember now why I don't drink if I am doing a gig.

Martian, expecting to feel rather fragile in the morning.

• Like 3

Commiserations dear alien, that 'excess head' is a miserable state for we humans but I can only guess at its influence on poor visitors

We hope you recover soon

And we really love this helicochopter, its already a thing of beauty

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I prescribe coffee and a bacon butty.

You'll be fine by lunchtime. Tuesday.

I woke up feeling fine funnily enough but I may still go down the bacon butty route just as a precaution.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Commiserations dear alien, that 'excess head' is a miserable state for we humans but I can only guess at its influence on poor visitors

We hope you recover soon

And we really love this helicochopter, its already a thing of beauty

Thanks Bill, I am looking forward to getting her buttoned up. I don't think I am going to touch another drop of the falling over juice, at least until this afternoon when I have to attend a friend's BBQ.

Martian the Abstemious

• Like 1

Glad you reminded me because guess what? Yes I had forgotten! Better put that next on the agenda then.

Martian the Absent Minded

• Like 1

Today started badly for this build when I realised that the system that I was planning to use for masking the mesh areas could not be used as I had left it too late in the build and there was no way I could wriggle the masking tape into place. I tried but the model was having none of it. Jealous of all the attention the Roc has been getting I guess! After a good cuss at myself for being so sloppy, :banghead: I painted on some Mr Surfacer 1500 as a primer. I will just have to resort to some very careful work with the hairy stick. Fortunately the mesh bits have a raised border so I can mask these when painted without too much difficulty.

While I was not on a roll, I decided that the time had come to button up the fuselage. This went tolerably well considering the butchering it has had to take and there should only be a moderate amount of filling required, certainly less than I had thought. I also added the mesh on the top of the transmission housing, the fairing at the rear of the same, the underside of the fuselage (not a good fit) and the tail assembly. Hopefully I can start getting things cleaned up on Monday, being out on patrol all day tomorrow with the MVS.

Anyway on to the pictures and thanks for looking.

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hendie said:

they always look rather sad when they're lying on their sides

I agree but at least this one has a future ahead of it.

Martian, Caring for helicopters on their sdes.

• Like 2

Coming along very nicely, Martian, even with the occasional bump in the road. This project is going to look so cool when it's finished!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

Always seems a big step forward when the sides go together :thumbsup:

Even if one side is heavier than the other :winkgrin:

Kev

Thanks Kev, good to see you are on form!

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Coming along very nicely, Martian, even with the occasional bump in the road. This project is going to look so cool when it's finished!

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, I hope it does look cool, at times it feels like it has been killing me, and that's without the Tracker to think about!

Martian

Thanks Nigey, once the seams have been cleaned up to my satisfaction, there should be some pretty rapid progress.

Martian

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Tracker...Tracker...Tracker...

Wicked child! :bangin: You know the Tracker has to wait until my Telford stuff is sorted out. I am only a humble Martian, not a fully fledged Time Lord with a Tardis in his back pocket!

Martian 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Hmm, I thought you were a Time Lord, Martian Ice Warrior thingy'me,bob, cyberman, + a bit of Dalek combined!!

Nigel the slightly disillusioned.

So no expectations riding on me then!

Pressured of Mars

• Like 2

.............Having finally got all the seams on the build sorted out to my satisfaction (at least for now!) I have been getting the undercarriage parts on the SH-34 cleaned up and attached to the model. I shall start detailing them as appropriate tomorrow when the glue has had chance to cure properly.

Next on the to do list was modifying the unused kit part for the fuel dump system to match the pictures I have of the underside of the aircraft.

This was followed by adding footsteps for the cockpit and the mounting plates for the hinge mechanism of the tail pylon. These need thinning down a bit before I can start building up the mechanism so that will have to wait until tomorrow as well as they need to be cured as well.

So there we have it for now, two consecutive sensible posts from the Martian! Someone best send for the vet!

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

92_2.jpg

• Like 12