Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

12 hours ago, perdu said:

This is more than just a little bit super Martian

Quite offputting for a mere yooman like me, your work is a delight to see

:(

Bloody aliens coming here and being better than mumblemumblemumble......... ;)

Thanks Bill, don't be too downhearted though, its not your fault that you come from an inferior planet. Anyway, take a step back and look at your wopse again, it looks pretty good to this alien's eye. 

12 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Are you going to enlighten us on your painting technique, or just tease us?

I had a flight in a Wessex when I was on Summer camp with the ATC at Manston in the late '70's and the one thing I will always remember is how odd it was to look forward and see the pilot's legs way up there.......well, that and the low pass along the beaches, with everyone waving as we sat in the door!

Ian

Sorry, I thought I had done so. Taking the fuselage as an example: I began by shooting some Tamiya primer at the two halves. Next I painted around the edges of the structure with Citadel back paint. This done I sprayed the appropriate parts of the interior light grey, I used Gunze Mr Aqueous Light Aircraft Grey for this as it sets semi gloss. I then mixed a lighter grey than I had used for the interior from Citadel paints and used this to highlight the raised areas of the structure. A still lighter grey was mixed and applied to the fishplates joining the structure together. The point of this being that the more a part would catch the light in real life, the lighter colour it gets painted with. The next step was to run a lightened wash of Payne's Grey around the structure to increase colour contrast still further as we need the detail to stand out even in the gloomiest parts of the interior. I use Citadel paints as much as possible for highlighting as they can be thinned like traditional watercolours which means that I can take advantage of the translucency of the paint. Hopefully that helps?

12 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

Nice to see more work on this, good to see Gallery have got the transmission floor on the right level unlike its It****I brethren. Very nice indeed!

Bob

So am I! I have put enough work into this build without having the added complication of having to carry out major corrections to the kit as well.

9 hours ago, hendie said:

I like the fact that you have labelled the inside so when you come to assemble it, you don't make a right royal muck up

I was wondering who would be the first to comment on that one. I did have a list of potential suspects and you won't be surprised to learn that the list only had two names on it and yours was one of them! I won't mention the other suspect but he goes by the nickname of Edward First of England!

8 hours ago, longshanks said:

Coming alive ................

Kev

Thank you Your Majesty! Oops!

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Lovely neat work.  That blue johnson on the transmission deck holds Gatorade, right?

Thanks Crisp. I have no idea what Gatorade is (can you drink it; without fatal consequences that is?) I remember seeing a picture or two of this part in blue on some aircraft and thought it would add a bit of colour to the area.

Martian hoping that Gatorade is some sort of real ale

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Wowza! Super impressed oh Green one. :analintruder:

is there nothing you ruddy aliens can't do. :heart:

Jont

Thanks John. As to your question, opinion is divided on the subject. I say that there isn't but Mrs Martian says..........well how long have you got?

Martian

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

hoping that Gatorade is some sort of real ale

Alas no, it is a form of sugared water used by athletes or over weight idle kids hoping it will turn them into athletes. It has the taste and nutrition value of proper hydraulic fluid, you could possibly use it as hydraulic fluid but it would probably rot your pipes! Horrid stuff that would be better replaced by water. One could say it is a marketing success over common sense!

Bob

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Good Lord!

Have you actually done a bit?

Wonders will never cease.

:P

Well I have done more recently than a certain Antipodean of this parish has on his 1/32 Sea Venom! :tease:

6 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

Alas no, it is a form of sugared water used by athletes or over weight idle kids hoping it will turn them into athletes. It has the taste and nutrition value of proper hydraulic fluid, you could possibly use it as hydraulic fluid but it would probably rot your pipes! Horrid stuff that would be better replaced by water. One could say it is a marketing success over common sense!

Bob

Bugger! I'll stick to my Reverend James then!

4 hours ago, Seahawk said:

So not Gator glue in drink format then?

Not sure why a helicopter would be carrying such a large container of Gator Glue around with it. Though I would not be at all surprised if Crisp came back at us with a good reason!

Martian

Just now, limeypilot said:

If Gator glue can stop oil leaks, there is your reason! 

Ian

Fair point but I would be seriously concerned if my transmission was leaking that much oil!

Martian

I wondered how I could have missed this saga, only belatedly realizing you'd begun it a couple of our Earth years before I joined the forum. I know what I'll be reading during lunchbreaks for a while.

Looking at the quality of the last couple of pages I know it'll be a pleasure.

Tony 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Well I have done more recently than a certain Antipodean of this parish has on his 1/32 Sea Venom! :tease:

Been busy with the big one

_C139271_zpspo70qhrd.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Been busy with the big one

_C139271_zpspo70qhrd.jpg

Well work faster then! :poke: Sheesh! Do I have to think of everything?

Martian

• Like 3

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 19:50, TheBaron said:

I wondered how I could have missed this saga, only belatedly realizing you'd begun it a couple of our Earth years before I joined the forum. I know what I'll be reading during lunchbreaks for a while.

Looking at the quality of the last couple of pages I know it'll be a pleasure.

Tony 

Welcome on board Baroness! While I am trying to get the helo part of the project finished in time for Telford, the thread probably has a few Pluto years left to run as there is the Tracker to finish as well. TBH I would rather be working on the Tracker at the moment, even though I am enjoying the SH-34, but there is no chance of having her ready in time forte big show. Probably because I waited decades for a 1/48 injection Tracker to appear, then there is the Karel Doorman herself to finish!

Martian no rest for the wicked

• Like 2

On 4/27/2017 at 11:56 AM, moaning dolphin said:

Bob

All of which is true - and it is often seen in large blue buckets alongside American playing fields.  Hence my original comment.  [Can't say I have ever tasted the stuff, nor do I intend to]

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

All of which is true - and it is often seen in large blue buckets alongside American playing fields.  Hence my original comment.  [Can't say I have ever tasted the stuff, nor do I intend to]

Sounds like beer is a far better option! :cheers:

Martian showing more sense than many American athletes

• Like 1

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

:hmmm:

:poke:

Kev

You are an evil child Kev! Even a Martian has only so many tentacles!

Martian the Overworked

Happy May Day peoples of the Third Planet!

Following a few days in Oxford on elderly parent duty, I decided to make some Martian time and carry on painting and installing details on the SH-34. This proved a very good way of de-stressing myself and some satisfying progress was made.

I began by painting up the transmission housing and gluing this into place along with the front part of the tail rotor shaft. This was followed by detail painting and assembly of the engine and accessories. This showed that much of the detailing I did on the motor was no longer visible. However, I was not too disappointed as I had anticipated this and It was good practice for the motors on the Tracker which will be most definitely visible, the port one very much so with the cut away cowlings.

Next up I need to prime some more interior parts and I have to begin making wiring looms. We will then see if my grand idea for making a more realistic loom is pants or not!

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Where do you put the batteries?

This is going to fly isnt it, blooooomin' lovely stuff Martian, me old alien

I'm looking forward to seeing it at Telford

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

You are an evil child Kev! Even a Martian has only so many tentacles!

Martian the Overworked

Just worried that you might burn out :whistle:

Anyways surely a multi talented alien like you could grow another set ....

I can see from the above pics you're not likely to burn out soon, unless something goes wrong on re entry from Oxford :winkgrin:

Nice work!

Kev

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Where do you put the batteries?

This is going to fly isnt it, blooooomin' lovely stuff Martian, me old alien

I'm looking forward to seeing it at Telford

Thank you Bill. It should make Telford as, although there is a lot left to do on the interior, once the fuselage is buttoned up, it should come together very quickly. The only bit I really have to sort out is the mount on the pert side for the weapon or drop tank; whichever I eventually decide to go for.

28 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Just worried that you might burn out :whistle:

Anyways surely a multi talented alien like you could grow another set ....

I can see from the above pics you're not likely to burn out soon, unless something goes wrong on re entry from Oxford :winkgrin:

Nice work!

Kev

No, no burn our anticipated in the near future. In fact, following a really fraught few days in Oxford, it did me the power of good to shut myself in my modelling room and have some quality Martian time. I have discovered, somewhat to my surprise, that I find going back and forth with thinned watercolour paints to do the shading and highlighting very therapeutic. Just as well really as there will be at least twice as much of it to do on the Tracker!

Martian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nigel Heath said:

Lovely detailing and painting on the interior.

Thank you Nigey person, you are too kind! I think after many years of trying, I have finally found a way of painting interiors that I actually feel comfortable with.

Martian

• Like 1