Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

I'm sure I saw white smoke coming from Melchett towers. I suspect he'll be there next year, dressed as the Pope!

Nah, that was just Lady M burning the remnants of last years 'medicinal weed' harvest, right now we have the happiest pigeons in Lincolnshire. Good point about the by-pass though, sadly it'll pass within blunderbus distance of Melchett Towers reconstruction of the Somme that doubles up as a garden in the summer months, (upside is that it'll provide moving targets for the gamekeeper when he has a quiet moment or two). I've instructed Darling to set up the fairy lights this year, oddly he was very enthusiastic.

You flatter me Melchie; what do you want?

The name of your analyst for starters.....it's not Gag Halfront by any chance?

• Haha 2

Clearly the Galactic privacy laws are not working. Halfront is in for a blurglecruncheoning.

In other news, this little baby will be making an occasional guest appearance in this thread. I believe I indicated that I was tempted to add other types from Karel Doorman's air groups and a look at the IPMS Netherlands display at Telford confirmed in my mind that this was the way I want to go.

Martian

001.jpg

• Like 7

Only just now caught up with the completion of the SH-34 (the Postimage pis aren't working for me though), what an absolute gem, looks like absoulte perfection in scale.

really does stand out in the Kon.Marine markings as well.  well done!

With all the banter and excitement of the Helix project getting underway, I thought it best to let you know that the Tracker hasn't been forgotten. A lot of time was spent yesterday laminating plastic card together and trimming blocks of resin offcuts to form the basis of the assorted radar and radio equipment that will be going into the rear cabin of the aircraft. Hopefully they will be sufficiently cured today for me to start shaping them and get some pictures up for you.

Martian

• Like 7

Hello Dear Martian !

Sooo, once again we will play in the same pool ??

Seem that your Siko's looking a little bit better than my Fonderie one !!

Are'nt you going to try this one ??

faam-2

Mine will be blue and Korean war related !

You surely will finish your far ahead of mine :tumble: Since Fonderie...

Well, we talk about that when sipping our Belgian beverage just in front of a belgian table that did'nt noticed anything !!

And it has been said ! All the confiscated stuff has been thoroughly destroyed !!

Was thinking about your Trainer harrier before the Helo !!

And the Roc ??

Will work on mine today !

Have a good modelling time, Hope that the Chimay, Rochefort and Westmaelle has let you good and nice rememberances  !

If not full boxes of B-17 searching for the Wind in your head on the next morning side :rofl2::rofl2:

Which is very oftenly a side effect !!

Once again ! glad to see you, your mem sahib, the General ( without his stick !! Poor Britannia !) And Longshank too  !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 5

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dear Martian !

Sooo, once again we will play in the same pool ??

Seem that your Siko's looking a little bit better than my Fonderie one !!

Are'nt you going to try this one ??

faam-2

Mine will be blue and Korean war related !

You surely will finish your far ahead of mine :tumble: Since Fonderie...

Well, we talk about that when sipping our Belgian beverage just in front of a belgian table that did'nt noticed anything !!

And it has been said ! All the confiscated stuff has been thoroughly destroyed !!

Was thinking about your Trainer harrier before the Helo !!

And the Roc ??

Will work on mine today !

Have a good modelling time, Hope that the Chimay, Rochefort and Westmaelle has let you good and nice rememberances  !

If not full boxes of B-17 searching for the Wind in your head on the next morning side :rofl2::rofl2:

Which is very oftenly a side effect !!

Once again ! glad to see you, your mem sahib, the General ( without his stick !! Poor Britannia !) And Longshank too  !!

Sincerely.

CC

They will be doing a Westland built kit so I will be using that for a couple of Royal Navy ones. I have to wait until my birthday for the Harrier kit, Fortunately that is only until 13th December. My plan is to get the Roc and Starfighter ready for next year's Telford, had I not had the hand injury the Roc would have had a good chance of making this year's SMW. There is an outside chance that the Tracker will be done as well as I was cleaning up the laminated blocks for the radios, sonar and radar equipment today and began to think that there is not a million miles to go before I can start painting the interior. There is also the added incentive that it will be nice to have the Tracker to display alongside the helicopter.

Martian

• Thanks 1

On 18/11/2017 at 1:41 PM, Martian Hale said:

Clearly the Galactic privacy laws are not working. Halfront is in for a blurglecruncheoning.

In other news, this little baby will be making an occasional guest appearance in this thread. I believe I indicated that I was tempted to add other types from Karel Doorman's air groups and a look at the IPMS Netherlands display at Telford confirmed in my mind that this was the way I want to go.

Martian

001.jpg

Martin, do you know if the Dutch versions had the same rear fuselage as the American ones?

The ones flown by the FAA during the Koreanwar had a "bulge" at the underside of the rear fuselage, unlike the U.S. version.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whofan said:

Martin, do you know if the Dutch versions had the same rear fuselage as the American ones?

The ones flown by the FAA during the Koreanwar had a "bulge" at the underside of the rear fuselage, unlike the U.S. version.

The Dutch ones were bog standard Sikorsky builds and had the same fuselage. I shall be interested to see if AMP address the fuselage issue on the Dragonfly kit or whether a hefty dose of scratch building looms in the future. I can feel it in my Martian water that the latter will be the case. :(

Pessimistic of Mars

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

The Dutch ones were bog standard Sikorsky builds and had the same fuselage. I shall be interested to see if AMP address the fuselage issue on the Dragonfly kit or whether a hefty dose of scratch building looms in the future. I can feel it in my Martian water that the latter will be the case. :(

Pessimistic of Mars

One would hope so. However, if their dragonfly is the BEA version it might have the U.S. fuselage, but the S & M models 1/72 BEA dragonfly looks as though it has the FAA fuselage.

• Like 1

Thanks Whofan, I have information to make the change if necessary. I just don't particularly want to have to do it myself.

Lazy of Mars

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Whofan, I have information to make the change if necessary. I just don't particularly want to have to do it myself.

Lazy of Mars

You're welcome.

I look at the work you do in many of your builds and I can only conclude the Martian definitian of lazy bears no resemblance to the Earthling definition!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I shall be interested to see if AMP address the fuselage issue on the Dragonfly kit or whether a hefty dose of scratch building looms in the future. I can feel it in my Martian water that the latter will be the case. :(

Pessimistic of Mars

They have added the bulge (I believe a battery and equipment housing) for their military Westland Dragonfly kit, can't wait to get it!

The BEA machines were Sikorsky built S-51s.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

Here's a sneak preview of what a Martian built S-51 will probably look like 

http://www.vlaggeschipsmaldeel5.nl/html/sikorsky_s-51_aan_boord.html

Also liked this one..continue the trend Martian

3498.jpg

Tempting, aren't they?

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

They have added the bulge (I believe a battery and equipment housing) for their military Westland Dragonfly kit, can't wait to get it!

The BEA machines were Sikorsky built S-51s.

In that case bring them on!

Martian

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 22:05, Bendinggrass said:

Martin, could you give me a link to your TSR2 build.

Thanks.

Randy

I could Randy but those scum at Photobucket has deleted all the pictures. If there is anything specific you need to know re the TSR2, PM me as I still have all the research I did for the model.

Martian

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, mr.T said:

Hi Martin, any update on the Tracker? Wonderful project! 

Hi Mr T, I am glad you like the project.

As it happens, yes. I tend to save up stuff for an airbrushing session due to the lack of space in the Martian cave which is only 6 x 6 feet in area. this means that the entire room has to be reconfigured whenever I need to airbrush. I will very shortly have enough stuff ready for a session and have one planned for when I get back from holiday. I have some window still to fit to my SM.79 build and then we are good to go. The Tracker is due to receive some primer and then some top coat on the interior. Hopefully this will spur me on to finishing all the radio, radar and navigation gear that needs to go in there. I don't have the model with me at the moment but I think that is the last significant area of construction left to be done before the fuselage gets buttoned up. Providing life does not get in the way, I would hope to see her finished by the end of the year.

Martian 👽

• Like 5

Hi Martian,

Tim (mr. T) also understands the predicament. My cave is also limited and I do the same with constructing and then airbrushing. Just bought myself a spray booth and that needs to be tested soon. I have the Tracker lying around as well as the Seabat for a rainy day. Current bench project is the TF-104G by Italeri (so 1/32). 

The precision of your modelling is inspiring. We have a Tracker still functioning and they regularly test run the engines and wings (at Lelystad air museum). Fun to watch. Unfortunately it is not cleared to fly, but it is an original Stoof that flew off the Doorman.

Looking forward to your finished Stoof and Seabat!

T

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mr.T said:

Hi Martin, any update on the Tracker? Wonderful project! 

Yeah I cant wait to see Martian get the Tracker underway again - waiting patiently in OZ

CJP

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CJP said:

Yeah I cant wait to see Martian get the Tracker underway again - waiting patiently in OZ

CJP

I think its been going longer than your Alize!

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

Then and only then he builds the ship

All of it

In the gentleman's scale...

Then we all go to Poole for the launch in the harbour

And the party afterwards

Glugglug 🍻🍺🍷🍻🍷🍺🍹🍷🍺🍻🍹🍷🍺

Do we have a grinnie/smily for hungover here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Then and only then he builds the ship

All of it

In the gentleman's scale...

Then we all go to Poole for the launch in the harbour

And the party afterwards

Glugglug 🍻🍺🍷🍻🍷🍺🍹🍷🍺🍻🍹🍷🍺

Do we have a grinnie/smily for hungover here?

That's fine Bill, I'll let you know how many barrels of beer to bring.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1