Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

Hello Martian,

Lots of success with the SH-34J in Telford.

I can tell you, that the Carrier Air Group kept the aircraft very tidy.

The reason for this was, there was enough "cheap" labor available.

This was caused by draft and low salary in general at this time.

Let us know, how it went in Telford.

Regards, Dirk / The Netherlands

• Like 2

Excellent work Martin, it's been a labour of love, I'm sure but the effort was deffinitely worth it,

Re, the cold callers. Try this next time... hello, yes can you hold a moment I have someone at the door. Put the reciever down and don't do anything else, they are now waisting their time and the cost of a call. Another alternative is to ask how they are, how is the weather, how are the children, etc. Then ask are they trying to sell you something, becuase you were nice to me when you don't even know me, gets 'em every time.

Have fun.

Colin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2017 at 10:00, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Massimo. I like to keep my models nice and clean and enjoy the challenge of building them that way to the best of my ability. I know, that with the current fashion for weathered models, I pay a price for my point of view at competitions and will doubtless do so again next weekend at Telford but that's the way I like them.

Hi Martian, 

as you say and I quote, it's a personal matter and fashions shoudn't influence our choices!

We're all different and our models express ourselves and it's right to be like this.

This helicopter is simply a beauty, so now what I've got to do is to watch out for a dust cloud and...there might be a Tracker around!!!

Can't wait for it!!!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, massimo said:

Hi Martian, 

as you say and I quote, it's a personal matter and fashions shoudn't influence our choices!

We're all different and our models express ourselves and it's right to be like this.

This helicopter is simply a beauty, so now what I've got to do is to watch out for a dust cloud and...there might be a Tracker around!!!

Can't wait for it!!!

Ciao

Massimo

Thanks Massimo. The Tracker is some way off being finished at the moment. This is due to the fact that it is a far more complicated project, to the point that it is by far the furthest that I have ever pushed the envelope with a kit. However I have had a bash at sorting the canopy out today. I am waiting on filler to dry before I can progress further. I think I will use my bench time before Telford getting on with some of the more mundane jobs that need doing such as attachment points for the various wiring looms that I will have to make.

54 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Excellent work Martin, it's been a labour of love, I'm sure but the effort was deffinitely worth it,

Re, the cold callers. Try this next time... hello, yes can you hold a moment I have someone at the door. Put the reciever down and don't do anything else, they are now waisting their time and the cost of a call. Another alternative is to ask how they are, how is the weather, how are the children, etc. Then ask are they trying to sell you something, becuase you were nice to me when you don't even know me, gets 'em every time.

Have fun.

Colin

Cheers Colin, you are right, the whole project is a labour of love and is on the verge of getting extended to other types that served on the KD.

As to cold callers, a good one my brother uses is that, "Mr Hale is too drunk to come to the phone right now". One I have often used is, "Have you ever heard of the expression flogging a dead horse?" Back comes the answer "Yes, why?" response, "Because this horse is not only dead but has rigormortis and is in an advanced state of decomposition!". :deadhorse:When a particularly peeved Martian is desperately trying to save a broken Telford entry however, they are far more likely to be told to go and do something physically impossible to themselves. Sadly, there does not seem to be a smiley for that one!

Martian

• Like 1

HI Martian, I just tried to have a look at your Tracker construction photos and Photobucket seems to have done its thing again prior to page 41- any chance of  posting some Tracker photos again to keep your fans happy?

CJP

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CJP said:

HI Martian, I just tried to have a look at your Tracker construction photos and Photobucket seems to have done its thing again prior to page 41- any chance of  posting some Tracker photos again to keep your fans happy?

CJP

Good point CJ. I will get on to it when I post my next update on the Tracker. Here are a few to keep you going .

R13.jpg

R15.jpg

sz5.jpg

zx4.jpg

zx6.jpg

F13.jpg

F33.jpg

Martian

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

it is by far the furthest that I have ever pushed the envelope with a kit.

well...I understand what you mean now!!!:gobsmacked:

Edited by massimo2
added emoticon
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Good point CJ. I will get on to it when I post my next update on the Tracker. Here are a few to keep you going .

Thanks Martian - that's an excellent photographic review of where you got up to with the Tracker - I should be able to hang on until the next update now.

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2017 at 8:57 PM, Martian Hale said:

It will be in the competition as I don't belong to a club and have nowhere else to display it.

Martian

There is always the Abingdon table.    

We can then discus the subs arrears ......................................... 

Tim (BTFH)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishbed said:

There is always the Abingdon table.    

We can then discus the subs arrears ......................................... 

Tim (BTFH)

You are an evil child Tim! However, for future years its not a bad idea.

Martian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

God, I love white sheet styrene. You make it look like it's not even flat - nice stuff!    :):) :)

You're giving me ideas for my 1:72 E-2C...

Cheers,

Bill

Oh dear! I think you are about to freak out then......................

Martian

• Like 1

....................Bill's post came in just as I was about to do this update so I hope he won't be getting too over excited. However, we must press on and today I finished cleaning up the canopy. This is supplied in two halves with not much more than a gnat's whisker between the two windscreen panels. This of course made hiding the join without damaging the clear areas the Devil's own job. Earlier on in the build I made yet another rod for my own back when I opened up the two escape hatches above the pilots' seats. What I had not bargained for was the fact that this revealed that the overhead control panel fits where it touches. This resulted in some pretty fiddly Miliput action. I then added some rails for the sliding escape hatches to complete the assembly. I then gave the whole lot a good polishing with a product new to me, recommended by Jaden of the Rebels At Cloud Nine YouTube channel. The product is called Novus and is a dedicated plastic polish and this brought a shine to the transparencies better than may be had from Klear so good call Jaden.

Next up I spent a good couple of hours making and attaching fixings for the various wiring looms that festoon the interior of the aircraft. I completed today's efforts by giving the whole airframe a good sanding with Micromesh 1500 grit to remove the ingrained much that seemed to have attached itself to the exterior of the model while it was not getting worked on.

That's pretty much it prior to Telford but here are some pictures to enjoy and as always, thanks for looking.

Martian

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

• Like 11

I built a Tracker, oh I dunno, maybe thirty five or more years ago

I desperately wish I had been as good  as you Martian, made up the interior that it deserved

This is going to be a masterpiece when finished

Has to be, acos it already is, already

:yes:

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, perdu said:

I built a Tracker, oh I dunno, maybe thirty five or more years ago

I desperately wish I had been as good  as you Martian, made up the interior that it deserved

This is going to be a masterpiece when finished

Has to be, acos it already is, already

:yes:

Thanks Bill. Sometimes it feels like I have been on this project for thirty five years! Don't do yourself down though, some of the stuff you are producing now is amazing and in a much smaller scale. I present your Wasp as a prime exhibit and thereby rest my case.

Martian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

One museum piece completes and another continues ....

Happy Days :penguin:

Kev

Thanks Kev, hopefully I can complete it to the same standard as the SH-34.

In other news and somewhat to my relief, I can confirm that the plan for the digital photo frame to show the interior does actually work so the experiment will definitely be repeated with the Tracker.

Martian

• Like 2

On 06/11/2017 at 18:26, Martian Hale said:

As to cold callers, a good one my brother uses is that, "Mr Hale is too drunk to come to the phone right now". One I have often used is, "Have you ever heard of the expression flogging a dead horse?" Back comes the answer "Yes, why?" response, "Because this horse is not only dead but has rigormortis and is in an advanced state of decomposition!". :deadhorse:When a particularly peeved Martian is desperately trying to save a broken Telford entry however, they are far more likely to be told to go and do something physically impossible to themselves. Sadly, there does not seem to be a smiley for that one!

Martian

I had had a call from a gentleman with a sub-continual accent called John Smith who professed to be from “Computer Security”.  I took great pleasure in letting him tell me what was wrong with my Microsoft OS and how he could fix it, so I gently walked through into the conservatory taking an Acme Thunderer with me, closed the door and then with a great deal of gusto, blew said Thunderer down the phone while telling him to go forth as I had a Mac!  Visions of :o for poor Mr Smith as I hung up!  Hope his shift got worse after me!

The Wessei wannabe looks tres lovely! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, HomerJ_757 said:

I had had a call from a gentleman with a sub-continual accent called John Smith who professed to be from “Computer Security”.  I took great pleasure in letting him tell me what was wrong with my Microsoft OS and how he could fix it, so I gently walked through into the conservatory taking an Acme Thunderer with me, closed the door and then with a great deal of gusto, blew said Thunderer down the phone while telling him to go forth as I had a Mac!  Visions of :o for poor Mr Smith as I hung up!  Hope his shift got worse after me!

We too are an all-Mac household, and my wife does the very same thing, only using a Vuvuzela (donated by a South African friend at the time of the SA World Cup) rather than Acme Thunderer.  They keep on ringing, though...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HomerJ_757 said:

Thanks Homer. I keep meaning to lead those scum astray by pretending to have one of old Sinclair computers. They even try it on with my dad and he doesn't even have a computer. The ones that are calling from this also get very upset when you point out that only a coupe of months ago some people got their collars felt for trying to perpetrate just this sort of scam. The other one that gets on my wick is the accident I am supposed to have had recently, funny thing is I can't for the life of me remember having had one or find any damage on my car. I must be losing the plot big time!

Martian of the Lost Marbles

• Haha 2