Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

1 hour ago, CJP said:

Looking great Martian - cant wait for the transformation that decaling does to a model and brings it to life

CJP

Nor can I but I have to disciplined now as I don't think I could bear spoiling the model at this stage. Slowly, slowly catchee Earthling as they say on Mars.

Martian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Tony. Its more than can be said about the Martian orifice! :puke:

One of the perils of reading whilst eating one's evening nosebag is coming across such delights as this. Put me right orf the bolognese now that has...:lol:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

One of the perils of reading whilst eating one's evening nosebag is coming across such delights as this. Put me right orf the bolognese now that has...:lol:

Really Tony, you have been around here long enough to know better than that!

Martian

• Haha 1

Just a quick update to let you know how things are progressing. I have now got a good gloss coat on the model and have got most of the detail panting done. Decaling cannot now be far off, I hope not anyway as it is one of my favourite bits of modelling; a kind of reward for having to cover all my work with paint f you will.

As I feared from the start of the build, the tail wheel axel was not man enough for the job and a new one had to be built from brass rod. I'm not sure why I didn't cut to the chase at the start of the build rather than have to clean up and drill parts that were already painted and in situ. Will I learn? Probably not!

Martian

• Like 6

Over the last day or two  I have been applying decals to the model. I discovered that a Dutch Decal sheet I had bought for another project had more options for SH-34s and consequently been using the best from the DD and the Flevo sheet I already had to get the best possible result.

All of the main decals have been applied and I am about 75% through the dozens of stencils that need to be applied to the model. Following a kerfuffle when I managed to lose one of the doors to the transmission deck, decided to glue these parts to the model, on the basis that even I can't lose the whole helicopter (famous last words)! I can easily finish painting the doors in situ. I always hate the look of my models at this stage, they look too glossy and with the deals in place, even the glossiness is not even. Roll on the point when I can give her a coat of satin varnish to even things up.

I have been feeling a bit clumsy today so I think it is best to walk away from the model now before I ruin something and come back to it tomorrow.

Anyway here are some pictures of where I am at as of this moment and thanks for looking.

Martian the Cack Handed

141.jpg

142.jpg

143.jpg

144.jpg

145.jpg

• Like 16

Hello Martian,

Nearly getting there. Like you mentioned, if it does not feel right, leave it and walk far away from it.

I keep a few very old Naval Air Arm personnel informed. With pics and text

One of them crashed two times with this type of helicopters. Both times during the hover. Both times it turned sideways during hitting the water.

Amazingly, the man is still very positive over the SH-34.

All, including me, are very impressed with your model. Looking forward to see them both lashed to your diorama deck, with flag mast and large Dutch Flag.

Forget the last sentence, just my idea.

Regards, Orion (Dirk) The Netherlands.

• Like 8

Thanks Dirk. No pressure with ex-aircrew looking in! Call me a picky old Martian but I'm not sure I would be so positive about the thing had it twice dumped me in the oggin.

Picky of Mars

• Haha 2

Hi Martian,

Thanks for your response

Just lingering on, concerning my last sentence

This would, could be the right location. 

http://www.vlaggeschipsmaldeel5.nl/html/san_juan_2.html

See picture 1679.

Regards, Dirk.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Orion said:

Hi Martian,

Thanks for your response

Just lingering on, concerning my last sentence

This would, could be the right location. 

http://www.vlaggeschipsmaldeel5.nl/html/san_juan_2.html

See picture 1679.

Regards, Dirk.

Its tempting!

Martian the Easily Led

• Like 1

He's good this alien ain't he?

The Wessalike looks a bit nice Martian, nice shots of a well jumbled up modelling table too

Busy chap huh

Can't wait to see the Roc up on her legs too. 🙌

• Like 2

That's looking very impressive indeed. I hope all those roundels are the right way round......

I just got back from a show and one of the exhibits was a Czech jet, with a photo of the actual aircraft next to it. Comment was made about how the panel lines were very heavy (as shown in the pic) but he hadn't noticed the reversed roundel on the right wing, with same colour being inboard on both sides......

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

I wish I could be cack handed as good as you......

Good to see a plan coming together

Kev

Thanks Kev, today my tentacles have been completely twisted. I even tried drinking out of a bottle of beer before I took the top off! Just one of those days when I should never have got out of bed.

5 hours ago, perdu said:

He's good this alien ain't he?

The Wessalike looks a bit nice Martian, nice shots of a well jumbled up modelling table too

Busy chap huh

Can't wait to see the Roc up on her legs too. 🙌

Thanks Bill. That jumbled modelling table is about as tidy as it normally gets. I usually tidy when the available space drops below to square of you Earth inches. Following the hand injury, the Roc won't make Telford, I just lost too much time. It was always an outside chance of it making this year anyway.

5 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Lovely to see the detail painting and decals going on. Looks nearly set for Telford.

Cheers Nigel, it will be ready for Telford if it kills me, which, going by today's performance, it may well yet do!

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

Superb work and your SH-34 is looking a real treat to me.

You are too kind Sir.

2 hours ago, hendie said:

can't wait for the unmasking - very nice work Martian

I await it with trepidation, I worry that despite my best efforts, some paint will have got under the clear parts resulting in loads of extra time that I don't have being taken up sorting that out.

12 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

That's looking very impressive indeed. I hope all those roundels are the right way round......

I just got back from a show and one of the exhibits was a Czech jet, with a photo of the actual aircraft next to it. Comment was made about how the panel lines were very heavy (as shown in the pic) but he hadn't noticed the reversed roundel on the right wing, with same colour being inboard on both sides......

Ian

Thanks Ian. You make a very interesting point here. On the real aircraft the blue segment of the roundel is always on the left. That is, except for the underside roundel where it is on the right. Both decal sheets  and every picture confirm this to be so and I have modelled it thus accordingly but the reason for this completely escapes me. It doesn't seem to be limited to just one aircraft either. Perhaps one of our Dutch friends can enlighten us because I can't.

Puzzled of Mars

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I'm not sure I would be so positive about the thing had it twice dumped me in the oggin.

I tend to remember the 1200+ hours when Sea Kings were faithful & reliable companions (sometimes in deeply unpleasant conditions), rather than the 15 minutes when one of them decided it wanted to go splashing about in puddles.  One of the Observers on my last squadron was a Canadian who was universally known as “Crash”, because he had been in 3 Canadian Sea King crashes (& they didn’t have that many airframes!); he still happily got into his goonbag - and he didn’t even fly the blooming thing.

Most aircrew work this way; if you didn’t you’d never get airborne!

• Like 2

Sorry sent above in error before I finished writing.

I don't think that they retro fitted the 'V' undercarriage.(Hope I'm wrong!)

13x serials had the 'V' strutted undercarriage but I can't get the IPMS Netherlands link to open to look at pictures.

Hope this doesn't mean that I need to get out my aluminium hat to divert the cosmic rays heading to PA23!

Richard

Edit now it does

https://www.ipms.nl/artikelen/nedmil-luchtvaart/vliegtuigen-s/vliegtuigen-s-sikorsky-s58/1833-vliegtuigen-s-sikorsky-s58-4

• Like 1

The radius arm u/c had big castings built into the fuselage,

and was a pretty big redesign, so a retrofit was probably impossible.

Now either we don't tell anyone about this and hope no one else notices,

or a swift number change needs to investigated.

It's the tentacled ones' model, so, back to you, Martian.

Regarding Limeypilots comment about decals.

On hyperscale there's a lovely Eurofighter Typhoon in primer,

in the Plastic pics section. Unusual and superbly done.

Until you notice the fin flash has been applied backwards.

• Like 1