Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

58 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

In my experience the Gunze (and Tamiya) gloss paints are best left for at least a week before applying masking tape. The matt and semi-gloss are much more forgiving.

Thanks Nigel, good advice. Despite the obvious advantages of acrylics,  I do find it a little amusing that after a childhood of smelly and slow drying humbrol enamels, I return to the hobby to find safer acrylics that take a week to properly cure, are very fickle to spray and brush paint, and are best thinned and cleaned with evil lacquer / cellulose thinners. Sigh. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MarkOh said:

Hi Martian,

Great to see the colors getting on! On the decals, I've recently used some on an 1:72 Airspeed Oxford I made. Also Dutch Navy. (WIP) Worked great for me. I did use some softener because I found them to be be a bit tougher than for instance Dutch Decal ones. (Whom also have a 1:48 decal set for the SH-34 (Link), nr. DD48065.)

Marco

Thanks Marco. that's exactly what I wanted to know. Super Oxford build BTW!

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely catch up Martian:clap2:. She is looking rather splendid inside and now out. Sorry to hear about your injured tentacle. I'm sure it'll grow back.:o all the best dear boy.

Johnny.

Cheers Johnny, I just wish the tentacle would get a move on, its not so much the pain but it is a blasted nuisance.

14 hours ago, CJP said:

Getting exciting to see another EDSG/Sky model emerging on BM - good luck with the removal of masking tape

CJP

I had bad luck CJP, some of the Stynylrez came away, not impressed!

13 hours ago, 71chally said:

Great to see the colours being applied.

One thing (amongst many!) that I like about Kon.Marine aircraft is that they were painted as if the Royal Navy were operating them, an intriguing what ifs from Trackers to Orions.

God bless EDSG and Sky!

Thanks Chally, I wonder if that's why I have a soft spot for Kon. Marine types.

7 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

As others have said this is looking very nice with some colour going on.

Thanks Nigel, I have had my work cut out sorting out where the primer came away from the model. I'll get some last minute pictures up in the morning before the Mem Sahib's departure.

6 hours ago, abat said:

Looking very nice Martian. Re the gunze sky, I had a bad experience masking over that in my Martlet build. Even though I was sure it had cured (waited a few days) the tamiya tape left marks on the paint (tire tracks) when removed. The marks mostly went away under a gloss decal coat. Had the same issue using gunze gloss white when I build my Iroquois. Another BM member suggested sealing the gunze semi gloss/gloss colours with a clear coat before masking. You may get on better with gunze glossy finishes than i do but perhaps test a piece before committing fully?

Thanks Abat, you could probably hear my swearing in Oz when I removed the masking!. I wonder if I polished the airframe too much for the Stynylrez to grip properly? I sanded down to 8000 grit, perhaps In should have stopped at around 2400 grit to give the primer something to key onto.

Martian

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I had bad luck CJP, some of the Stynylrez came away, not impressed!

Martian

Yeah really frustrating when you are getting close to the end of this build - the only one of my recent models that did not peel paint off with the masking was my Wyvern which I painted with Humbrol enamels - no idea why maybe just good luck - this is a great forum for discussing these sort of problems and I'm sure someone will come up with a solution eventually - I think both models will look really good in the Dutch Navy colours which I think look great on a Tracker

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 1

I had great hopes for Stylnrez, dammit I even bought some, but it still looks as if the only really good way to paint models is to use forty year old Humbrol

I hope you get a: your tentacle fully operative and b: the paint sorted soon

I've been loving these builds Martian 😢

• Like 2

Hi all,

I have very good experiences using Stynylrez but it needs to be pretty wet sprayed and don't be scared off if you think it is too wet as it levels out perfectly..

My models are cleaned with white spirit though as i experienced that cleaning with ipa caused the paint to lift seriously...

And if a little lifts of i put some stynylrez with a brush in that place and sand it out, but when properly sprayed and cleaned you don't  need to fear

36921772524_38c4b5f915_b.jpg

This plane is sprayed with the white stynylrez and really nothing lifted...

Edited by janneman36
info added
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, abat said:

Ouch! I didn’t want to hear that. Did the tape also leave marks in the sky? That was my concern but stripping off the primer sounds worse. 

I have over come the problem now after exhausting every expletive I could think of. I did not have the problem you seem to have had though.

3 hours ago, CJP said:

Yeah really frustrating when you are getting close to the end of this build - the only one of my recent models that did not peel paint off with the masking was my Wyvern which I painted with Humbrol enamels - no idea why maybe just good luck - this is a great forum for discussing these sort of problems and I'm sure someone will come up with a solution eventually - I think both models will look really good in the Dutch Navy colours which I thing look great on a Tracker

CJP

To be on the safe side it will be good old Halfords primer for the Tracker. I have put even more effort into that build and could not bear to see it ruined. I will persevere with the Stynylrez for a bit though as I do like it's self levelling properties.

3 hours ago, perdu said:

I had great hopes for Stylnrez, dammit I even bought some, but it still looks as if the only really good way to paint models is to use forty year old Humbrol

I hope you get a: your tentacle fully operative and b: the paint sorted soon

I've been loving these builds Martian 😢

Thanks Bill. Lets see if we can find a way to make this stuff work for us. It looks like Jannemaan36 might have the answer.

3 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Hi all,

I have very good experiences using Stynylrez but it needs to be pretty wet sprayed and don't be scared off if you think it is too wet as it levels out perfectly..

My models are cleaned with white spirit though as i experienced that cleaning with ipa caused the paint to lift seriously...

And if a little lifts of i put some stynylrez with a brush in that place and sand it out, but when properly sprayed and cleaned you don't  need to fear

36921772524_38c4b5f915_b.jpg

This plane is sprayed with the white stynylrez and really nothing lifted...

It looks like you may have put your finger on the problem. I did use IPA to clean the model.

Martian

Following yesterday's traumatic session in which the model came very close to getting binned, I stayed up most of the night and have managed to feather out the areas where the Stynylrez lifted and re-sprayed them with the appropriate colours. I added a bit more levelling thinners to the Gunze paint to let it grip onto the bare plastic and this seems to have worked well enough. I shall let things be until tomorrow to give the fresh paint time to settle before breaking out the hairy sticks for detail painting. The whole model will then be getting a good coat of Tamiya clear to ensure there are no more dramas prior to decaling the model. It will then be on to finishing painting the rotor assemblies. Off to catch up on some sleep now. :sleep_1:

Thanks for looking

Exhausted of Mars

135.jpg

136.jpg

137.jpg

• Like 17

@ Martian this was my first model with stynylrez and the first time i did used ipa and i almost pulled all the paint off and i  used tamiya tape wich is low tack!!

I also did a airbush run on it where the paint was almost instantly dry ...

So in my opinion the ipa wich dissolves stynylrez somehow react i think in combination with the pretty dry paint application.

Did a pretty wet spray the second time after i cleaned all my paint off with ipa and then cleaned it again with white spirit..

And it all stayed on...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janneman36 said:

@ Martian this was my first model with stynylrez and the first time i did used ipa and i almost pulled all the paint off and i  used tamiya tape wich is low tack!!

I also did a airbush run on it where the paint was almost instantly dry ...

So in my opinion the ipa wich dissolves stynylrez somehow react i think in combination with the pretty dry paint application.

Did a pretty wet spray the second time after i cleaned all my paint off with ipa and then cleaned it again with white spirit..

And it all stayed on...

I think you may well have the answer, I shall certainly be trying your method on the next build to make it to the paint shop. Not on the Tracker though, I am playing 110% safe on that one!

Martian

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Martian, is that Gunze acrylic EDSG out of the bottle?

It is Crisp. The flash makes it look more "in your face" than it really is. It seems to be a very good match for the pictures I have of Dutch Sh-34s.

Martian

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if any sequence of primer/masking/top coat goes without drama?  Pleased you managed to make a great save Martian :)

I began to order some stynylrez primer whilst I was catching up on the thread - and then cancelled it again........

She's looking great with some paint.

• Like 1

It really gets me wonder just how worthwhile all that extra angst is for we little guys

I understand the big beasts in the game have their own 'ways' but is it worth me getting more involved in fear inducing 'extras'?

Unresolved thoughts for now,there's to be primed in the future of my Buccaneer.

I'm definitely considering that being the Stylnrez grey primer on the shelf, just ere!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

I sometimes wonder if any sequence of primer/masking/top coat goes without drama?  Pleased you managed to make a great save Martian :)

I began to order some stynylrez primer whilst I was catching up on the thread - and then cancelled it again........

She's looking great with some paint.

Thanks Steve. I shall be trying Jan's method of cleaning a model with white spirit but should that fail, its back to good old Halfords primers for me and into the bin with the Stynylrez.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

It really gets me wonder just how worthwhile all that extra angst is for we little guys

I understand the big beasts in the game have their own 'ways' but is it worth me getting more involved in fear inducing 'extras'?

Unresolved thoughts for now,there's to be primed in the future of my Buccaneer.

I'm definitely considering that being the Stylnrez grey primer on the shelf, just ere!

Given the models you turn out Bill, I would say the angst is worth it.

49 minutes ago, 71chally said:

great recovery and cracking result - I however, remain a Humbrol enamel user!

Thanks Chally. Personally I find Humbrol unreliable stuff and a better result can be got from the likes of Tamiya, Gunze and Lifecolour. I guess that the phrase " one man's meat is another man's poison" was never more true than when talking about modelling paints.

If it works for you, stay with it.

Martian

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 20:38, heloman1 said:

Looking good Martin, shame aboutthe paint, maybe one reason I stick to Humbrol...

Thanks Colin the nightmare seems to be over now. In this case, the actual paint performed well enough, it was the primer failing to stick to the model properly that was the problem. I think that we all find a brand or brands of paint that work for us and stick to that. As a confirmed user of acrylics, I find Tamiya, Gunze and Lifecolour work best for me.

Martian

Martian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Painterly. In the nicest possible way.

Bravo Martian!

Thanks Tony. Off to Oxford now for a few days so things should be well cured by the time I get back.

Martian

• Like 3

With Mrs Martian and the camera back from Chernobyl I can now bring pictures of progress that was made before I had to go to Oxford on parent duty.

Detail painting has begun and the anti-glare panel and navigation light panels have been painted black. Next up is to finish the detail painting and get some coats of clear varnish on the model prior to decaling.

Thanks for looking

Martian

139.jpg

140.jpg

138.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

The visiblity of inner detail on that just oozes class from every orifice.

:nodding:

Thanks Tony. Its more than can be said about the Martian orifice! :puke:

Martian

• Haha 2