Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

Thanks Bill. I understand that the canisters were often only attached just before flight so you model will be perfectly correct. I debated long and hard about fitting them to this build but in the end decided that I had made such an effort on the rest of the floatation system that I wanted to show the whole of the system.

Martian

Lovely work, glad you fitted the canisters as to me they are such a distinctive feature of sea going H-34s.

BTW there's some great images in this link, including one with the flotation gear inflated, the instrument panel in the last pic is a Wasp one though!

https://www.ipms.nl/artikelen/nedmil-luchtvaart/vliegtuigen-s/vliegtuigen-s-sikorsky-s58/1833-vliegtuigen-s-sikorsky-s58-4.html

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Thanks Chally. I may have dithered over fitting the canisters but seeing them in place on the model, I am certain I made the right move. Good link BTW.

Martian

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks CJ. These machines were kept very clean in service, as one would expect for a naval aircraft, so there will be some very light pre-shading, some subtle washes and that will be about it.

Today I gave up looking for the missing floatation canister and decided to make a new pair for the model. To be honest, I was not 100% convinced about the shape of the kit items so perhaps losing one was a blessing in disguise as it has forced me to tackle the issue which I may not otherwise have done had I located the part. I do hope however, that the kit canister decides to inflate while still in the carpet monster's digestive system and gives it the mother and father of all gut rot! I'll post a couple of pictures later today when I have finished shaping the new canisters.

Martian

Looking forward to see the painting process with interest -

Isn't is weird how you can watch a part drop to the carpet and then can't find it - I don't waste too much time looking but call on my wife who has an uncanny knack of finding these lost bits

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CJP said:

Looking forward to see the painting process with interest -

Isn't is weird how you can watch a part drop to the carpet and then can't find it - I don't waste too much time looking but call on my wife who has an uncanny knack of finding these lost bits

Funny you should say that, Mrs Martian has exactly the same talent.

I shall be getting some more done on the Roc  next so I can get the interior ready for paint. I have to completely reconfigure my room for airbrushing due to lack of space and need to make the hassle worthwhile.

Martian

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian (Still peed off with PB: you can tell, can't you!)

They are certainly off my Christmas card list

Tidy job with the floatation devices, certainly look better than the old. I will tell the carpet monster to let you have the piece back now :winkgrin:

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

and she will be ready for paint.

:penguin:

Kev

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Tidy job with the floatation devices, certainly look better than the old. I will tell the carpet monster to let you have the piece back now

Thanks Kev.

Martian

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks CC. I am away on holiday at the moment but the SH-34 is all masked up ready for paint and all I need to do is to eliminate a couple of marks where my scriber slipped and we are ready to go.

Martian

:jabber: of a scriber !!!

I very oftenly suffer from the same curse of the slipping scriber.

Yesterday, once again on the Fireball. So a complete set veeery of bad words that are not in polite use !

Have a nice holyday, take a rest, enjoy the sun and whatever please you.

Sincerely.

CC

A nasty fall resulting in an injured tentacle has kept me away from the bench for some weeks now. Following words of wisdom from Mrs Jockney, I finally consulted my GP. She decided that what I thought sprain was more likely a fracture but happily, an X-ray yesterday showed that this is not the case and that we are dealing with some kind of soft tissue injury. Its still painful but I did manage a short session at the bench this morning. It only consisted of spraying a coat of black Stynylrez over the cockpit framing and giving the rotor assemblies a couple of coats of Halfords White Primer but its a start. I hope to get the main airframe fully primed tomorrow and will get some pictures up then.

Clearly, I should have not put my tentacles out when I fell and let my head take the impact. At least there isn't much to damage there!

Martian

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Sorry to hear about your fall Martin. I'm guessing it happened not too long after we met up for supper. Thanks again for that, it was a most enjoyable evening. All the best and hope you make a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

Sorry to hear about your fall Martin. I'm guessing it happened not too long after we met up for supper. Thanks again for that, it was a most enjoyable evening. All the best and hope you make a speedy recovery.

Yes it was the following Saturday. We had just finished an MVS patrol and I was standing on the wooden pontoon beside the launch and was about to step onto the main concrete pontoon. It was a flat calm but just as I was stepping between the two pontoons, wash from a tourist boat, going too fast came in. The wooden pontoon rose way faster than the concrete one and instead of stepping onto concrete, I stepped into thin air. Thank you so much the skipper of the Solent Scene!

Disgruntled of Mars

• Sad 3

On 02/09/2017 at 11:24 AM, CJP said:

Now that FM Sikorski helicopter looks interesting Corsaircorp - I would be interested to see how it builds - I'm sure the Navy helicopter builders on BM would help - would look good with Korean War Sea Fury and Firefly -  I am starting a FM Alize and it is going to be a challenge

CJP

CJP,

Whirlybird models have released a 1/72 vacform/resin model of a Sikorsky S 51 in dragonfly HR.3 mode, and include decals for a dragonfly off HMS Ocean in The Korean war.

Allied to a sea fury - many 1/72 sea furies kits have decals for Carmicheal's  fury off HMS Ocean, and a mk. 5 firefly, where aftermarket decals are available for planes flying off HMS Ocean, and you have a Korean war project with all the planes flown off Ocean during its 1952 tours of duty.

Edited by Whofan
Spelling
  • Like 1

Get well soon Mr. Martian! I know from personal experience that 1) walking on air is actually not possible, despite numerous pop songs attesting it, and 2) modelling cures your body as well as your soul. So get to it! The bench awaits...    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

My dear Martian, distressed to hear of the tentacular fracture and sending over some healing vibes.

Rest assured that one of your companions has already dealt firmly with the Solent Scene. It will not trouble you again:

war-of-the-worlds1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Get well soon Mr. Martian! I know from personal experience that 1) walking on air is actually not possible, despite numerous pop songs attesting it, and 2) modelling cures your body as well as your soul. So get to it! The bench awaits...    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill. The first member of my band that writes a lyric mentioning walking on air will promptly have their tentacles kicked in! Talking of which, we did manage to get the said tentacle strapped up enough to get me through band practice this evening. Just as well really as we have an album scheduled to be recorded before the end of the year and playing the guitar is traditionally a two handed business. :guitar:

Anyway we will see how I get on tomorrow when the main primer will be going on the model. This will also be my first large scale test of this Stynylrez stuff, the small amount I used today seems to have worked fine but I am giving it the recommended 24 hours to cure before over-spraying it. No point in rushing things now.

Martian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Yes it was the following Saturday. We had just finished an MVS patrol and I was standing on the wooden pontoon beside the launch and was about to step onto the main concrete pontoon. It was a flat calm but just as I was stepping between the two pontoons, wash from a tourist boat, going too fast came in. The wooden pontoon rose way faster than the concrete one and instead of stepping onto concrete, I stepped into thin air. Thank you so much the skipper of the Solent Scene!

Disgruntled of Mars

Amazingly bad luck Martian - you would  think with all those tentacles you have you would have been able to grab onto something with at least one or two of them - like Navybird I recommend a few sessions on the SH34 & S2A to fix that wounded tentacle

CJP

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whofan said:

CJP,

Whirlybird models have released a 1/72 vacform/resin model of a Sikorsky S 51 in dragonfly HR.3 mode, and include decals for a dragonfly off HMS Ocean in The Korean war.

Allied to a sea fury - many 1/72 sea furies kits have decals for Carmicheal's  fury off HMS Ocean, and a mk. 5 firefly, where aftermarket decals are available for planes flying off HMS Ocean, and you have a Korean war project with all the planes flown off Ocean during its 1952 tours of duty.

Thanks for that info Whofan

CJP

4 hours ago, CJP said:

Amazingly bad luck Martian - you would  think with all those tentacles you have you would have been able to grab onto something with at least one or two of them - like Navybird I recommend a few sessions on the SH34 & S2A to fix that wounded tentacle

CJP

This is indeed true had one seen the vessel approaching. Unfortunately, the marina where our launch is berthed is surrounded by the high sides of Poole docks and the vessel was not seen until it was too late. Our coxswain said he had never seen he concrete pontoons move so much, even in stormy weather! I think the Baron's solution for the Solent Scene is a most elegant one, it certainly appeals to me in my current state of mind!

Fret ye not, I shall be back on the SH-34 later today, although my tentacle is still mightily sore from last night's band session.

Martian, suffering for his art.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This is indeed true had one seen the vessel approaching. Unfortunately, the marina where our launch is berthed is surrounded by the high sides of Poole docks and the vessel was not seen until it was too late. Our coxswain said he had never seen he concrete pontoons move so much, even in stormy weather! I think the Baron's solution for the Solent Scene is a most elegant one, it certainly appeals to me in my current state of mind!

Fret ye not, I shall be back on the SH-34 later today, although my tentacle is still mightily sore from last night's band session.

Martian, suffering for his art.

I hope the Skipper of Solent Scene was made ware of his poor seamanship before the Baron organised his retribution and vaporised him

CJP

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, CJP said:

I hope the Skipper of Solent Scene was made ware of his poor seamanship before the Baron organised his retribution and vaporised him

CJP

Ray guns on all of our launches, now there's a plan, it would certainly make people play nicely!

Martian

• Like 1

I hope you are listening AND paying suitable attention to what the sawbones says Martian, we do want you in full fettle next month

It is just about a month to go (35days and I still haven't seen the new floor plan from t'committee). :(

I can't tell y'all where to find us without it

Be careful please, dear alien chum, soon be time to meet

And have the photoshoot with the 'keithproof' camera Ced brings

😱

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, CJP said:

Thanks for that info Whofan

CJP

CJP,

You're welcome, but I need to offer an apology over an incorrect piece of information.

I can't actually find specific after market decals for a firefly (mk 1 or mk 5) that flew off Ocean, but - as I confused myself, they can be made up from aftermarket generic post war FAA decals.

Dragonflies also flew off HMS Glory which did tours in the Korean War, though it looks like one dragonfly simply transferred from Ocean to Glory and back again.

• Like 1