Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

need to save up for the acres of Evergreen plastic I will need for the build.

Hello Martian,

Before you start investing in Evergreen styrene, have a look at the styrene sheet prices on the following site:

http://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk/cart_plastic.htm

For instance, one sheet of Evergreen, .060, on a random eBay site is £5.95 plus postage.  One sheet of .060 styrene on Stationroadbaseboards is £1.38, with a £3.90 minimum purchase.  I use his styrene for plunge moulding, vacuum forming and general modelling.  No problems whatsoever.  Unfortunately, the site is primarily for model rail roaders and there is little else of interest for aircraft modellers.  Also, he posts orders very quickly. 

I had intended to throw my suggestion for your next helo build in the ring but I suppose I'm a little late for that.  My only request is that as I'm getting on a bit perhaps you'd cut back a bit on the super scratching so I'd be around to see it finished.

Cheers,

Dennis

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

A WIP would be most entertaining and educating. My Alize will get done and is in a strong position to follow the Tracker as a long term project. First of all though I will need to save up for the acres of Evergreen plastic I will need for the build.

Martian

I found this very comprehensive build on the FM Alize - unfortunately all in French but lots of great reference and construction photos (only a couple of Photobucket casualties) - the link below runs to 73 pages and he is in your league Martian as far as detailed modelling.

http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59400

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DMC said:

Hello Martian,

Before you start investing in Evergreen styrene, have a look at the styrene sheet prices on the following site:

http://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk/cart_plastic.htm

For instance, one sheet of Evergreen, .060, on a random eBay site is £5.95 plus postage.  One sheet of .060 styrene on Stationroadbaseboards is £1.38, with a £3.90 minimum purchase.  I use his styrene for plunge moulding, vacuum forming and general modelling.  No problems whatsoever.  Unfortunately, the site is primarily for model rail roaders and there is little else of interest for aircraft modellers.  Also, he posts orders very quickly. 

I had intended to throw my suggestion for your next helo build in the ring but I suppose I'm a little late for that.  My only request is that as I'm getting on a bit perhaps you'd cut back a bit on the super scratching so I'd be around to see it finished.

Cheers,

Dennis

Thanks for the tip Dennis, I think I will be getting some stuff from this outfit. I think the next project will be a bit simpler but us Martians seem to be genetically programmed to super detail.

9 minutes ago, CJP said:

I found this very comprehensive build on the FM Alize - unfortunately all in French but lots of great reference and construction photos (only a couple of Photobucket casualties) - the link below runs to 73 pages and he is in your league Martian as far as detailed modelling.

http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59400

It looks most interesting and I have saved the site to my favourites as it s going to take a while to go through that lot, Shame a lot of pictures seem to have ben deleted though.

Martian

• Like 1

In-between completely exhausting myself on the safety boats for the Bournemouth Air Festival, I have managed to get some more done on the SH-34.

I have cracked on and detailed the compressed air reservoirs for the  floatation gear and added their associated plumbing. The brake lines have also been added. Whether I fit the floatation canisters themselves or not has not been decided yet. Partly because these aircraft are often seen both on the ground and in flight without them fitted and partly because the carpet monster seems to have eaten one of the kit parts. I heard it hit the ground but can I find the part? It loos like I will have to remove everything that is on the floor of the Martian cave to try and find it. Bugger!

Thanks for looking

Martian

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

In-between completely exhausting myself on the safety boats for the Bournemouth Air Festival, I have managed to get some more done on the SH-34.

I have cracked on and detailed the compressed air reservoirs for the  floatation gear and added their associated plumbing. The brake lines have also been added. Whether I fit the floatation canisters themselves or not has not been decided yet. Partly because these aircraft are often seen both on the ground and in flight without them fitted and partly because the carpet monster seems to have eaten one of the kit parts. I heard it hit the ground but can I find the part? It loos like I will have to remove everything that is on the floor of the Martian cave to try and find it. Bugger!

Thanks for looking

Martian

About time you did some modelling rather that waffling on with all that banter malarkey!  It would be finished by now if you hadn't!

Tim (never catch me waffling)

(PS looking rather good).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fishbed said:

About time you did some modelling rather that waffling on with all that banter malarkey!  It would be finished by now if you hadn't!

Tim (never catch me waffling)

(PS looking rather good).

Thanks Tim. Of course I have had absolutely no help whatsoever on the waffle, digression and general lunacy front!

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

I knew it they are multiplying..................... :analintruder:

Nice detail oh English Martian

Kev

Thanks Kev. Not to worry, I will soon raise the bonkers detailing up a notch!

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Superb work, lovely finesse to it.

Thank you James.

Martian

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

It looks most interesting and I have saved the site to my favourites as it s going to take a while to go through that lot, Shame a lot of pictures seem to have ben deleted though.

Martian

I've had a look through all 73 pages of this man's Alize build and most of the pictures have been lost up to page 10 but pretty well complete after that - still a lot of usable info - must say it looks a somewhat daunting project to me

CJP

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CJP said:

I've had a look through all 73 pages of this man's Alize build and most of the pictures have been lost up to page 10 but pretty well complete after that - still a lot of usable info - must say it looks a somewhat daunting project to me

CJP

It is never going to be any easy build by anyone's standards but if one wants an Alize in this scale its Hobson's choice. I still live in hope that Azur/Fromm will have a bash at it in 1/48.

Martian

56 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

It is never going to be any easy build by anyone's standards but if one wants an Alize in this scale its Hobson's choice. I still live in hope that Azur/Fromm will have a bash at it in 1/48.

Martian

I promise to stop waffling on about the Alize now but I found this on page 15 of the French gentleman's article - dated 2013 - never heard of a Tamiya Alize so wonder what the story is with this model?

alize-tamiya-_BANNIERE-2.jpg

CJP

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CJP said:

I promise to stop waffling on about the Alize now but I found this on page 15 of the French gentleman's article - dated 2013 - never heard of a Tamiya Alize so wonder what the story is with this model?

alize-tamiya-_BANNIERE-2.jpg

CJP

A Photoshoppped wind up I should imagine!

Martian 

That reminds me of a Japanese flight student I taught a few years back. I was training him for his initial Flight Instructor certificate so he had to go through everything as though I were an initial student......in the aircraft, check for full and free movement of the controls, and his comment was "we check fright controls".....I couldn't stop myself laughing.....his description was pretty accurate, especially if used incorrectly!

Ian

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

That reminds me of a Japanese flight student I taught a few years back. I was training him for his initial Flight Instructor certificate so he had to go through everything as though I were an initial student......in the aircraft, check for full and free movement of the controls, and his comment was "we check fright controls".....I couldn't stop myself laughing.....his description was pretty accurate, especially if used incorrectly!

Ian

Brilliant - thanks for sharing Ian

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

A Photoshoppped wind up I should imagine!

Martian 

Beautifully done too, it has a look of Heller about the artwork, for me.

Yes I might have had one 'for the stash' back in the day.

😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Beautifully done too, it has a look of Heller about the artwork, for me.

Yes I might have had one 'for the stash' back in the day.

😉

Thinking about it, you seem to be right. The image is based on this:

736459HellerBreguet1050Aliz001150.jpg

Martian

• Like 1

On 04/09/2017 at 9:40 AM, Martian Hale said:

I have managed to get some more done on the SH-34.

Simply exquisite looking Martian.  It's such a pleasure seeing your construction work that I almost feel it's a shame to paint it.  And then you paint it and I think it looks marvellous.  Just fickle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Simply exquisite looking Martian.  It's such a pleasure seeing your construction work that I almost feel it's a shame to paint it.  And then you paint it and I think it looks marvellous.  Just fickle.

Thanks Steve. I know exactly what you mean, I have a real problem when it comes to covering the extra detail with paint. Still, we have all the pictures despite the best efforts of those thieving scum at Photobucket.

Martian (Still peed off with PB: you can tell, can't you!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Steve. I know exactly what you mean, I have a real problem when it comes to covering the extra detail with paint. Still, we have all the pictures despite the best efforts of those thieving scum at Photobucket.

Martian (Still peed off with PB: you can tell, can't you!)

Agree 100% on PB comments

SH34 - agree great detail work on the SH34 and I'm sure it will look fab in camouflage colours and some weathering & washes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CJP said:

Agree 100% on PB comments

SH34 - agree great detail work on the SH34 and I'm sure it will look fab in camouflage colours and some weathering & washes

Thanks CJ. These machines were kept very clean in service, as one would expect for a naval aircraft, so there will be some very light pre-shading, some subtle washes and that will be about it.

Today I gave up looking for the missing floatation canister and decided to make a new pair for the model. To be honest, I was not 100% convinced about the shape of the kit items so perhaps losing one was a blessing in disguise as it has forced me to tackle the issue which I may not otherwise have done had I located the part. I do hope however, that the kit canister decides to inflate while still in the carpet monster's digestive system and gives it the mother and father of all gut rot! I'll post a couple of pictures later today when I have finished shaping the new canisters.

Martian

• Like 2

This afternoon I managed  to get the canisters for the floatation gear finished and fitted to the model. I reasoned that there was less chance of them getting eaten if they were attached to the main wheels. As these will be getting brush painted, masking will not be an issue. The issue I had with the kit parts is that they look way to angular in cross section to my eye and the flange that runs around the edge looks to wide. As I happened to have some plastic tube of the correct diameter, knocking these items out was no big deal with the most time consuming part being waiting for the basic canisters to dry properly before I could go to work carving and sanding them to shape.

I have also begun fettling the canopy so that it fits better and once this has been masked, glued and fitted, I think its just a quick session reinstating any lost panel lines, finish up masking and she will be ready for paint.

Thanks for looking

Martian

120.jpg

121.jpg

123.jpg

• Like 9

Those canisters do look good Martian, it is usually better to have made them right than trusting to luck after all

Funnily enough I popped them off my HAS3 because so many of the reference pictures of it show just the bare hubs

On these swing arm suspensions the air bottles give us more visibles to enjoy, I am loving this

:thumbsup:

• Like 1