Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

Thanks for  those, especially the close up of the Doppler gear, most helpful!

Martan

• Like 1

No work was done yesterday as I had an all day patrol with the MVS and was way too shattered afterwards. Anyhoo, once I had got the references on the Doppler unit sorted out, it's construction proceeded quite quickly. Some time ago, I purchased some small plastic domes, solely on the basis that they looked like they would come in useful some day. Well, that day dawned and a pair of them formed the basis of the aerials. Adding detail to their faces from 10 'thou square plastic strip was, shall we say, interesting. Well, when I say interesting, I mean kept me cursing for a good hour with swear words that the Earthling alphabet doesn't have the symbols for!

In other action, I cracked on and competed detailing the tail fold details. Just for once the loss of the kit moulded detail while trying to clean up the join of the tail to the fuselage was actually a blessing in disguise as it forced my to replace the rather heavy and basic detail with something more detailed and refined.

I have begun to add piping connections to the fuselage and some of the more prominent aerials on the aircraft have been attached. I think I will be taking a good look at the engine bay doors next an getting the canopy ready for fixing to the model. In the meantime I need to be getting the winch on the Roc build underway and electrical connections in that aircraft's cockpits fitted. The former I look forward to, the latter  not so much, its nano-engineering at it's most tedious!

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

Martian me old alien I do love the Doppler unit but, I have to ask, should it be mounted side to side because the RN ones I've seen are more likely to point fore and aft

I'm assuming that each dome is a transponder for the Doppler sensing

Remind me some time to look around for other useful domes like those, very useably useful

😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

Martian me old alien I do love the Doppler unit but, I have to ask, should it be mounted side to side because the RN ones I've seen are more likely to point fore and aft

I'm assuming that each dome is a transponder for the Doppler sensing

Remind me some time to look around for other useful domes like those, very useably useful

😉

You are quite correct as regards the positioning of the Doppler unit. I am off to correct it right now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Standing Corrected of Mars

Thanks to Perdu's timely intervention about the Doppler aerials, I shot off back to the Martian cave and corrected the alignment. Whilst there I glued the cockpit side windows in place along with the overhead consul that I had detailed some time ago. For some reason I couldn't resist dry fitting the wheels and popping the rotors in place to see for the first time what the completed model is likely to look like.

Thanks for looking again

Martian

098.jpg

099.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Nicely done all the same!

And look Bill...in the background.....folded......:whistle:

Ian

Thanks Ian. Do you think you might have pricked Bill's conscience perchance?

Martian (Not holding his breath)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Good spot Bill. Doppler radars require relative velocity.  Standard reaction to being illuminated by a Doppler radar back in the day was to turn 90 degrees off and put it on the beam :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, perdu said:

Conscience?

Ha ha

We had those surgically removed on induction lads

I'm not building a B.N. Defender neither, I ain't

:)

The Heliochopter looks nice and nicer

:thumbsup:

Well, I didn't want to be the first to question your possession of a conscience so its nice of you to confirm our doubts.

I must get that Defender finished, I shall be doing it in Indian Navy colours.

Thanks for the kind comments on my chopper.

Martian

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have a few hours in Islanders, the thought of one being armed is almost ludicrously funny. Everything at 60 knots: take off, cruise, stall, landing.....lmao

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks to Perdu's timely intervention about the Doppler aerials, I shot off back to the Martian cave and corrected the alignment. Whilst there I glued the cockpit side windows in place along with the overhead consul that I had detailed some time ago. For some reason I couldn't resist dry fitting the wheels and popping the rotors in place to see for the first time what the completed model is likely to look like.

Thanks for looking again

Martian

098.jpg

099.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

I can see a Tracker…!

Lovely job, your Green-ness

• Like 1

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

Wow !  Where did that come from ?

All those bits you've been playing with and they finally come together........

Impressive Sir Tentacled One

Kev

Why thank you Serf longshanks! (You see if you spelt longshanks with a capital L, I should have assumed you were Edward 1 and not relegated you to serfdom.)

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Beautiful, Martian, even unfinished.  Many, many hours in that.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, don't I know it!

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I can see a Tracker…!

Lovely job, your Green-ness

Thanks your Crispness. You do indeed see a Tracker, work upon which will restart directly my Telford builds are ready.

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Superb work, nice correction on the Doppler shrooms.

Excellent Seabat reference link posted earlier as well.

Cheers Chally.

Sir Martian of Hale

Looking very good Martin, however, you might want to clip those DF loops at the tail fold off and repace then with thin wire, the kit parts do look a tad iffy... Glad you rotated the doppler jobbies...

Colin

PS I'll not make Telford this year, too many other commitments but maybe next year... I'm in the UK in September just for two weeks but up in the north and doing the Driffiled show near Hull.  Then a squadron reunion in Bristol over the weekend of 9/10th...

Colin

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I just love looking at the visual riches of this and beginning to suspect that the actual aircraft maybe significantly underdetailed compared to this!:) 

Thanks Tony. Sikorsky? Rank amateurs f you ask me!

2 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Looking very good Martin, however, you might want to clip those DF loops at the tail fold off and repace then with thin wire, the kit parts do look a tad iffy... Glad you rotated the doppler jobbies...

Colin

PS I'll not make Telford this year, too many other commitments but maybe next year... I'm in the UK in September just for two weeks but up in the north and doing the Driffiled show near Hull.  Then a squadron reunion in Bristol over the weekend of 9/10th...

Colin

Thanks Colin, I shall take another look at the aerials.

Martian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Mmmmm.... looking good!

Martin

Thanks. I'm not sure if there is going to be any modelling today as a  flare up  of fibromyalgia has left me laid up in bed most of the day so far.

Martian