Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

38 minutes ago, longshanks said:

:hmmm:

Loath to say it but this is also looking gooood !!

All that hot air does seem to stimulate you .....

Just leave the rose bushes alone :winkgrin:

Kev

Thanks Kev, I am beginning to get a good feel about this now.

As for the rose bush, she has filed a complaint with the local constabulary!

23 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I just want to say: 

Whacko old fruit!

That is very very easy to look at and very hard to tear the gaze from.

Just splendid Martian.

Thank you your Baronessship. My only real concern now is not to let the paint fill in the holes in the grilles.

Crossed Tentacles of Mars

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Woody. There should be plenty more to come, if I want to have it ready for Telford that is.

Martian           

Hello oh Dear tentacled one.

I really like the way you improved your kit. It is very inspiring.

Many thanks to you for sharing !

Sincerely.

CC, back to the plastic job !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJP said:

Good to see this back on the front page again and it is  looking great - nice to see that Tracker lurking in the background

CJP

Thanks, ther should be some more over the next day or two.

43 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello oh Dear tentacled one.

I really like the way you improved your kit. It is very inspiring.

Many thanks to you for sharing !

Sincerely.

CC, back to the plastic job !

Cheers CC, my pleasure.

Martian

• Like 2

Hello Martin,

I am amazed what you are doing with this model. I have shared some pics with some  actual crew members and technicians  and they couldn't believe the details on your model.

Highest Regards,

Dirk 

• Like 2

Hi Martin, she's looking very good. Have you thought about trying to stuff some tissue or thin paper into the grill areas for masking, just might work... I bet the Sharp's is good stuff, pity I can't get it down here in SA. However we do have some seriously good craft beer and my local carries a good pint from Mitchells Brewery in Knysna. I go for the Bosun's Bitter @ around two quid for 500mils.

Colin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello Martin,

I am amazed what you are doing with this model. I have shared some pics with some  actual crew members and technicians  and they couldn't believe the details on your model.

Highest Regards,

Dirk 

Thanks Dirk, I feel somewhat humbled if the people who flew and worked on the thing liked it.

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Martin, she's looking very good. Have you thought about trying to stuff some tissue or thin paper into the grill areas for masking, just might work... I bet the Sharp's is good stuff, pity I can't get it down here in SA. However we do have some seriously good craft beer and my local carries a good pint from Mitchells Brewery in Knysna. I go for the Bosun's Bitter @ around two quid for 500mils.

Colin

Thanks Colin, as it is impossible to see anything other than vague shadows behind the grilles, I think I will be OK with several very thin coats of paint.

Beer at two quid a pint! If it weren't for the warm climate, I would emigrate to SA immediately!

Martian

PS: does anyone have any decent pictures of the "mushroomy"  shaped object that can been seen on some of these aircraft and what exactly is it?

17 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Telford

Telford! So soon? So how does one recognize a shape shifting Martian, sans tentacles, at Telford? Never met a Martian before, might be interesting.

Dennis 

Edited by DMC
Punctuation
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Telford! So soon? So how does one recognize a shape shifting Martian, sans tentacles, at Telford? Never met a Martian before, might be interesting.

Dennis 

As General Melchett and myself have a dare on about coming as ourselves and I have absolutely no intention of wimping out, recognising me should not be overly hard!

2 hours ago, massimo said:

WOW!

I've seen this topic just now!

I've got something to do for tonight!!!!I'll read it from the beginning!Great detail work ...it'll be a very interesting reading !!!

Thanks Massimo. Sadly some of the earlier pictures are no longer available thanks to those thieving scroats at Photobucket.

Martian

• Sad 1

You've told us what you think, dear Martian, I hope you won't mind if we differ somewhat.

The concept and execution of this build have been rather wonderful so far

I think a hearty thanks is due to you for giving us this treat

👍

• Like 1

Thanks Bill, I guess it looks better to you chaps as I know where the mistakes are and you don't. If you guys are enjoying the build then the thread is achieving it's purpose and the journey from the planet Wibble has been worth the effort.

Martian

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Does anyone have any decent pictures of the "mushroomy"  shaped object that can been seen on some of these aircraft and what exactly is it?

Which shape do you mean?  On the belly?  If so, sone early ASW helos had a sonar body that looked like an inverted mushroom.  I suspect this isn't what you're driving at, but more info needed.

P.S.  She continues to look superb.  Well up to your usual precise, clean standards.  

15 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

Looking totally amazing

Thanks KP!

6 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Which shape do you mean?  On the belly?  If so, sone early ASW helos had a sonar body that looked like an inverted mushroom.  I suspect this isn't what you're driving at, but more info needed.

P.S.  She continues to look superb.  Well up to your usual precise, clean standards.  

Thanks Crisp. The bit of kit I am talking about is shown on this picture. It is well aft of the sonar equipment and I have noticed something very similar on early RN helicopters, any ideas?

5770_ditch_138.jpg

Martian

Martian

I am almost certain that is the aerial (or rather pair of aerials) for the doppler system (whoch some quick checks tells me was the Ryan-Teledyne AN/APN-97 Doppler, itself an upgrade of the AN/APN-79).

P.S. As also fitted to this gorgeous Wessex HAS1 at Duxford.

36476340982_0518ce3ef6_c.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jamie_Graham said:

Ufff ... what amount of extra work has this model ... and everything looks amazing!! 

Thank Jamie, I'm glad you like it.

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I am almost certain that is the aerial (or rather pair of aerials) for the doppler system (whoch some quick checks tells me was the Ryan-Teledyne AN/APN-97 Doppler, itself an upgrade of the AN/APN-79).

P.S. As also fitted to this gorgeous Wessex HAS1 at Duxford.

36476340982_0518ce3ef6_c.jpg

Cheers Crisp, now I know what I am looking at, I can do something about sleuthing it out.

Martian

Thanks to Saint Crisp of the Sea King's timely identification of the above item, it took less than five minutes to find a good picture of the unit and one is accordingly under construction as we speak.

Martian

• Like 5