Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

4 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Lovely looking work Martin. Question: when it comes to spraying the outside, how will you stop paint going through the mesh?

Thanks Nigey. Before buttoning up the fuselage I shall mask the interior of the mesh and then spray round the outside of the mesh with the appropriate colours. The exterior will then be masked using the edges of the mesh as a guide. The interior masking can then be removed, any touch-ups attended to as necessary and the fuselage then joined. I used this system when I built the Fonderie Miniatures Piasecki H-21 a few years ago and it worked really well. The real key is the accuracy of the external masking and I shall make sure I fully document the process when the time comes. 

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Don't feel inadequate he says. Posts the above pictures straight after. :cry:

:D

Absolute awesomeness Martian.

Thanks Baroness. The build is really only made up of a lot of very simple steps, it just looks complicated when it is all put together, in the same way that you Boxcar interior will do when it is completed.

1 hour ago, hendie said:

lovely work Martian - the engine is looking fabulous - as is the rest of it

Thanks Hendie, praise indeed from the Wessex King!

Martian

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Cor blimey - that's the dog's danglies, that is!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, I am quite pleased with the way it has gone.

Martian

Martian,

I'm not sure how I missed this thread in the past

but I've had fun catching up on things to date.

The almost a Wessex is coming along very nicely indeed.

I've seen looming Martians on old B&W films but this is

way better than the old Hollywood version.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Nothing short of brilliant :clap2:

Your wiring and plumbing have taken this model to the next level

Kev

Thanks Kev, I am really pleased that the technique worked out having pondered over it for months. It will definitely be getting used on my Starfighter and the Tracker. Moreover, for some strange reason it's success has had a positive effect on my depression; I don't understand why but I'm not complaining!

Martian

• Like 2

Another of those rather lacking in bling moments today I am afraid, despite most of yesterday being spent on the build. The main drain on my time was fettling the under fuselage panel to a better fit. This was partly due to my having measured the depth of the sonar well wrongly and in equal measure down to a poor fit of the panel just aft  of the air filter for the carburettor. Having finally sorted this out, I decided to get the filter and it's surrounding mesh painted up. Due to the filter assembly passing through the mesh, I felt that brush painting the area was by far the easiest option. Therefore it was out hairy stick and the job was completed in well under half an hour. This process had the added bonus of flagging up the fact that I had no Gunze Mr Aqueous Sky paint in stock and a couple of bottles were duly ordered. I was content to paint up the mesh and it's frame in Tamiya Sky as I hope that this will give a subtle contrast with the rest of the airframe. Cabin windows are next on the agenda.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Your photography is getting much better since the beginning of the build!     :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, I just stopped struggling with artificial light. Our sitting room is south facing and the light through the window seems to be just right in the mornings.

Martian

17 hours ago, longshanks said:

Your wiring and plumbing have taken this model to the next level

Please leave his plumbing out of this, that really is too much information! :tmi:

Ian

• Like 2

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Please leave his plumbing out of this, that really is too much information! :tmi:

Ian

Even my stomach turned at that thought! :sick:

Martian

The detail painting and wire work is really paying off Martin - looks amazing.  

Dunno how you manage to brush paint tamiya tho'.  They're practically unusable for that purpose in my idiotic hands........

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

I can brush paint Tamiya provided the area is small enough, but I share your admiration for our green friend's skill.

Don't worry about a lack of bling, Martian - we're not really a bling crowd.

[Besides, one man's bling is another man's totally OTT  - I am still chuckling at hearing POTUS described on the weekend's News Quiz as "all gold taps and no toilet".]

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I have just caught up on this thread Martian.

Fantastic work throughout mate. :yes::yes:

Simon.

Cheers Simon, glad you are enjoying it.

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

The detail painting and wire work is really paying off Martin - looks amazing.  

Dunno how you manage to brush paint tamiya tho'.  They're practically unusable for that purpose in my idiotic hands........

Thanks Steve. I just gave the area in question three thin coats over the primer and that was that. At a pinch I could probably have got away with two but decided to play safe.

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I can brush paint Tamiya provided the area is small enough, but I share your admiration for our green friend's skill.

Don't worry about a lack of bling, Martian - we're not really a bling crowd.

[Besides, one man's bling is another man's totally OTT  - I am still chuckling at hearing POTUS described on the weekend's News Quiz as "all gold taps and no toilet".]

Thanks Crisp. we are not very far from buttoning up the fuselage now which means the Roc is coming down from the loft today as there will be room on the bench for it. I must try and find the note I made about the Bermuda floatplane target tugs; I hope they are in the kit box.

Martian

15 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Steve. I just gave the area in question three thin coats over the primer and that was that. At a pinch I could probably have got away with two but decided to play safe.

The problem I have is that any sort of overlap in brush strokes at all seems to lift the paint that I've just laid down.  I've tried adding flow enhancer and I've tried thinning with thinning with X-20A with Mr Levelling Thinner all with only modest success.  Poor technique I'm sure - but I've yet to identify just how :blush:

31 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Crisp. we are not very far from buttoning up the fuselage now which means the Roc is coming down from the loft today as there will be room on the bench for it. I must try and find the note I made about the Bermuda floatplane target tugs; I hope they are in the kit box.

Martian

The Roc (née Stringbag) beaching gear will be in the post tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Looking forward to seeing our tentacled friend lash these to his Blackburnery...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Cheers Crisp. Mrs Martian helped me get the Roc kit and the file down from the loft this afternoon so a big thank you to her.

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Looking forward to seeing our tentacled friend lash these to his Blackburnery...

Thanks Baroness. Not sure how fast things will go this side of Telford but I am anxious to make a start. On the plus side I discovered that I had already done the workings out for the length of the various struts for the floats. On the down side, I seem to have lost my list of serial numbers and code tie ins so its going to be back to my copy of Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 to 1945.

Martian

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

On the down side, I seem to have lost my list of serial numbers

I had this bookmarked from some earlier research Martian, there's a list of serials in the notes on the floatplane version, if it's of any help:

http://dinger.byethost5.com/blackburn_roc.htm?i=1

They mention L3174 as a target-puller.

Not of immediate use, but some nice anecdotal evidence about 773 Sqn, as well as a page from a Lt. Emmet's logbook recording non-float target towing in a Roc:

http://mobile.royalgazette.com/article/20140315/ISLAND/140319837

Apologies if this is bringing coals to Newcastle...

Tony

• Like 2

Not at all Tony. These aircraft aren't the easiest to research so anything helps.

Martian (off to set up the Roc thread)

• Like 1