Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

1 hour ago, Nigel Heath said:

Excellent job on the wiring looms, they look really smart.

Thanks Nigel, I really wanted them to work out and had been thinking about how to go about it for months.

21 minutes ago, perdu said:

Permanent marker in white

Pray do tell dear alien which of the outer planets supplies such wondrous gear, I am in desperate need of such

All I have is red, blue, black, green and a small assortment of sparkly metallics

White would be the eighth wonder of the Old World

By the by, the electro-mechanical hydraulics devices are things of beauty

Although I banished carpet from my hobby room I have to say that missing things still stay oft' lost for ages anyway

"It was jusssst one of those things,just one of those cerazey things.."

I just asked my local art shop to get me one and they obliged within 24 hours. No inter-stellar flight required at all.

Thanks for the compliment, I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised as to how they turned out and somewhat relieved from the point of view of the Tracker project when the time comes. There will be a veritable cats cradle of wiring in that one.  Why on earth do I keep putting myself through all this? Don't even try to answer that one as my shrink gave up on me yonks ago! :mental:

Martian, a few sarnies short of a Martian picnic.

• Like 4

Up to p.33 now in my catch-up of this sustained display of exquisitery. If there's not a knighthood in this for you Martian then the system is truly corrupt.

:worthy:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

He already thinks he's the Hood so a knighthood would not be a big stretch.

I typed 'Martian Hood' into Gurgle image-search just now and it promptly confronted me with this image of two Martians apparently under attack by a pubic wig:

The+six+guns+that+were+at+the+scene+fire

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I typed 'Martian Hood' into Gurgle image-search just now and it promptly confronted me with this image of two Martians apparently under attack by a pubic wig:

Is the Martian Donald Trump smoking a fag cigarette?

PS so sidetracked by the martians above I forgot to add smashing internal work, its looking quite exquisite!

PPS Original text amended for our North American cousins

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Up to p.33 now in my catch-up of this sustained display of exquisitery. If there's not a knighthood in this for you Martian then the system is truly corrupt.

:worthy:

It would be a great honour but although she has a great many outstanding qualities, I don't think Her Majesty is going to be able to even begin to understand the accumulated waffle on this thread!

4 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

He already thinks he's the Hood so a knighthood would not be a big stretch.

Don't give up the day job Nigey!

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I thought I had seen the last of that lot, they breached their ASBOs and were evicted to the punishment planetoid of Sedna several Martian years go.

1 hour ago, moaning dolphin said:

Is the Martian Donald Trump smoking a fag cigarette?

PS so sidetracked by the martians above I forgot to add smashing internal work, its looking quite exquisite!

PPS Original text amended for our North American cousins

Thanks, very kind of you.

Martian

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Muff said.

That joke was so bad that I liked the post just so that I could unlike it!

Martian

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Excellent! Martian the nimble fingered.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.

Martian

On 14/05/2017 at 9:36 PM, hendie said:

if I remember correctly, only the driver has brakes (the foot plates) - the non driver only gets to panic

Same on the Sea King.  The LHS pilot can't unlock the tailwheel, either (unless he has unfeasibly long arms).

Most helicopters - especially in the Wessex / Sea King era - weren't really designed for ground taxying; it never felt all that comfortable tiliting the disk forward on the ground, tbh.  I always assumed that the single-seat brakes were largely aimed at the Grubber sitting in the cab while it was towed.  

The Lynx has no brakes at all; they are wheel locks - either on or off.  That's why they always hover taxy.  The wheels are there to allow the aircraft to swivel on deck - hence the odd angle of the rear wheels; they were only moved to fore-and-aft for ground handling.  You could do a running landing (in the event of a single engine failure, for instance), and it worked fine even with the wheels toed-in, though there was a fair amount of accompanying smoke and stink.  

[Navy ones, that is; I assume the later wheeled AAC versions had some kind of brake-y thing.]

• Like 6

On 26/05/2017 at 8:20 AM, Martian Hale said:

After ages thinking about it, I finally got around to testing if my idea for producing better looking wiring looms than just twisting some wire together worked or not. Fortunately it did as I did not really have a plan B. This is also a great relief as I can use it on the Tracker which has a shed load more wiring on view.

The way I went about things was as follows:

I began by pre-colouring some fishing line of the required thickness (in this case 5.6lb breaking strain) with a permanent marker of the desired colour. In this case it was white. When dry as many strands as needed were glued into a socket on the electrical junction box on the forward bulkhead of the transmission deck. These were then held together with small slivers of Albion Alloys aluminium tubing which had been slid over the wires and held in place with a small dab of CA glue. The loom was then connected to the desired piece of equipment with wires branching off from the loom where required; pretty much as happens in real life.

This all sounds a bit complicated I know and it was indeed a bit fiddly at first. However the process rapidly became easier as I became used to it. I also found that the idea worked well for piping, I used 12lb line coloured black for this. The process will now be used for the wiring on the engine.

Hopefully this idea will be of some use to the denizens of this forum and as always, thanks for looking in.

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ooh fishing wire you say. That looks the business. Time I think to pay a first visit to the tackle shop in town. I need to get lead shot too.

wish me luck. Big knives in the window and a little wind up cobbler bashing a shoe.  The pit and engine bits look amazing. :clap:

jont

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Ooh fishing wire you say. That looks the business. Time I think to pay a first visit to the tackle shop in town. I need to get lead shot too.

wish me luck. Big knives in the window and a little wind up cobbler bashing a shoe.  The pit and engine bits look amazing. :clap:

jont

Thanks Johnny. I find that fishing wire can be better for some jobs than detailing wire which is prone to kinking. You are also going to need some for your Handley Page 0/400 rigging if you are going down the functional road in order to strengthen the model.

Martian

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Johnny. I find that fishing wire can be better for some jobs than detailing wire which is prone to kinking. You are also going to need some for your Handley Page 0/400 rigging if you are going down the functional road in order to strengthen the model.

Martian

Thanks M.

I had a look in the tackle shop but wasn't sure what Breaking strain to get.

6lb looked ok but 4 looked better for the rigging. Which did you get for rigging if you can remember.

thanks for any help.

johnny

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks M.

I had a look in the tackle shop but wasn't sure what Breaking strain to get.

6lb looked ok but 4 looked better for the rigging. Which did you get for rigging if you can remember.

thanks for any help.

johnny

I use 1.5 or 2lb test monofilament fishing line for 1:72 rigging. The 1.5 is scale accurate at 0.06mm but the 2lb is easier to work with at .13mm (.006")

Ian

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

The more bits of white styrene and fishing wire that get added to this project, the more I like it!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

You will be in paradise when I get the Tracker re-started as this painting technique I have begun  using has inspired me to try and add even more detail to that build. You will also be pleased to know there is another "fix" for you coming up in the morning. I seem to get better pictures in natural light.

Martian

• Like 1

16 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I use 1.5 or 2lb test monofilament fishing line for 1:72 rigging. The 1.5 is scale accurate at 0.06mm but the 2lb is easier to work with at .13mm (.006")

Ian

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think I used 2.5 lb line but it was a long time ago.

Martian

Thanks guys. :lol:

• Like 1

There. All caught up now with these treasures and feeling quite inadequate as a result, but then I don't have the advantage of tentacles...

Earth salutes you Arean emissary!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

There. All caught up now with these treasures and feeling quite inadequate as a result, but then I don't have the advantage of tentacles...

Earth salutes you Arean emissary!

Thanks Baroness. No need to feel inadequate though your Boxcat is coming along just fine.

Martian

• Like 1

As promised and to ensure Bill, aka Navybird, gets his regular fix, I duly present pictures of the completed engine assembly. I think these pictures show the method of creating the wiring looms a bit better. Probably because they are in full light. I have found that after the first couple of looms the process is really quite easy and apart from losing a set of tubes I had just cut to size when I sneezed, I found the process to be rather enjoyable; not least because the model seemed to be coming to life. I do still have the oil cooler assembly to finish off and I may well get this sorted out later today as the forecast doesn't look too promising.

Without further ado, here are the pictures and thanks for looking in.

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 11