Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

You be rockin' dude! Nice work.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

I am usually to be found Punk Rockin' but thanks for the compliment!

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Wonderfully neat construction; and now superb painting technique.  Just keeps getting better Martian :clap:

Thanks Steve, I aim to try and improve the technique still further. I really owe it to a programme I used to enjoy called Watercolour Challenge, presented by Hannah Gordon. The idea of using the translucency of watercolour to replicate light and shade must have stuck in the back of the cluttered mess that passes for my mind. Heaven knows what else may be stuck there!

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Yeah, whatever Bill meant when he wrote wot he wrote

There's no doubt he's right

It's an exercise in just exactly looking right

Thanks Bill, it has taken decades for me to find a technique I feel comfortable with. Now I have, a few projects may well be finding their way off of the shelf of doom. Well, in my case the "really useful box" of doom but the idea is pretty much the same!

Martian

• Like 1

Lovely clean work Martian, something I can only hope to strive for!

These rotary wing things are quite fascinating but rather intimidating what with all the complex stuff that you get to create! You make it look easy.

Terry

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sprueloose said:

Lovely clean work Martian, something I can only hope to strive for!

These rotary wing things are quite fascinating but rather intimidating what with all the complex stuff that you get to create! You make it look easy.

Terry

Thanks Terry. Most of it is really not that difficult, it just looks it.

Over the years,I have found that the trick is to break down any given area of a build into relatively simple sub-assemblies. Its more about planning than anything else, I would estimate that 2/3rds of my build times is spent thinking rather than actually making things. I find that if I repeatedly rehearse things in my mind they tend to go smoothly when I come to actually do the building part. Sounds a load of waffle I know but it seems to work for me!

Martian the Philosopher

• Like 7

On 5/8/2017 at 4:36 AM, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Terry. Most of it is really not that difficult, it just looks it.

Over the years,I have found that the trick is to break down any given area of a build into relatively simple sub-assemblies. Its more about planning than anything else, I would estimate that 2/3rds of my build times is spent thinking rather than actually making things. I find that if I repeatedly rehearse things in my mind they tend to go smoothly when I come to actually do the building part. Sounds a load of waffle I know but it seems to work for me!

Martian the Philosopher

Hummm, doesn't sound like you at all!  who is this who has hacked Martins account? ;-)

Tim (the prevaricator) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishbed said:

Hummm, doesn't sound like you at all!  who is this who has hacked Martins account? ;-)

Tim (the prevaricator) 

This however, sounds exactly like you Tim! Good to see you getting back to dishing out some good natured abuse.

Martian

• Like 1

This post would have been made a few days ago had not a problem with the kit reared it's ugly head. I went to offer up the ducting assembly to the top of the engine mount and discovered that it was several mm too short. The consequent lengthening of the part resulted in loss of detail on it which then had to be scratch built. Anyhow, the part now fits, has been painted and attached to the model. It looks way too shiny at the moment due to the nature of the Gunze paints I have been using but this will all sort itelf out when the whole of the interior gets a coat of matt varnish to even things out.

I also got the black boxes associated with the sonar fit glued into place along with the battery mounting. As much wiring as is possible before the final buttoning up of the fuselage has been added. I still have to make the relevant boxes for the equipment rack that sits just inside the cabin door. I did make some a while back but made the fatal mistake of putting them in a "safe place"! :doh: Will I never learn?

Next up I shall be finishing the flight deck and attending to the cabin windows.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 15

Holy mother mars bar!!!! That is.... I don't know, it's too great/insane/detailed.  I was contemplating a hellicopter after my p38 but if this is what's expected I might stick to wings.

wonderfuly beautiful work sir. I'm agog. 

Johnny ache!:star:

• Like 2

You know that safe place, could you check it when you find it for the main wheel leg doors off my Sea Fury

I know I put them in 'the safe place' when I finished making them and fitting the frame ribs

There's a fair chance that all our 'safe places' might be linked via quantum

Quantum explains everything doesn't it?

Doesn't explain just how marvellous this helicopter is though does it. ☺

I'm loving the sonar rig details you're installing, marvellous

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hendie said:

remarkable amount of detailing there Martian.  it makes my Wessex look like a weekend build !

Not so sure about that Hendie, though it is nice of you to say so.

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Holy mother mars bar!!!! That is.... I don't know, it's too great/insane/detailed.  I was contemplating a hellicopter after my p38 but if this is what's expected I might stick to wings.

wonderfuly beautiful work sir. I'm agog. 

Johnny ache!:star:

Don't be such a woose and just get on with it Johnny.

55 minutes ago, perdu said:

There's a fair chance that all our 'safe places' might be linked via quantum

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

If they are then Stephen Hawking will certainly have this Martian gunning for him!

Martian (Going rapidly off quantum physicists )

• Like 1

Good to see you firmly back in the track. Some cracking modelling going on here. I even like your Martian green....

Always thought I could make my fortune by making and selling a big red box with flashing lights at each corner, marked SAFE PLACE!!

Kev

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Good to see you firmly back in the track. Some cracking modelling going on here. I even like your Martian green....

Always thought I could make my fortune by making and selling a big red box with flashing lights at each corner, marked SAFE PLACE!!

Kev

Thanks Kev. As to the big red box idea, it might have some mileage but then again I would probably manage to lose the box along with the lights as well.

Martian the Forgetful

• Like 1

10 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Easily solved! Write down the location of said box on a piece of paper, and put it in a safe place!

Ian

I give up! Its clearly going to be easier to knock up a replacement set and not put it in a safe pace! I think I will glue the parts straight onto the model, even I cant lose that

Martian

• Like 1

Just a quickie; can anyone explain to me why the rudder pedals for the right hand seat have proper foot plates and those on the left hand seat are just simple bars? I have noticed this on the Wessex and Whirlwind helicopters as well.

Martian the Curious

PS: I know they are not rudder pedals really but I have forgotten what they are called, so go gentle on this poor old alien please.

I'm in a dilemma here of the most pleasurable kind: whether to remain beguiled by the latter painting stages here or to hop back to/where I was in the earlier construction phase. This is such fine stuff Martian!

Tony

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Just a quickie; can anyone explain to me why the rudder pedals for the right hand seat have proper foot plates and those on the left hand seat are just simple bars? I have noticed this on the Wessex and Whirlwind helicopters as well.

if I remember correctly, only the driver has brakes (the foot plates) - the non driver only gets to panic

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hendie said:

if I remember correctly, only the driver has brakes (the foot plates) - the non driver only gets to panic

Thanks Hendie, that kind of explains it, although why the co-pilot wasn't allowed a set of brake pedals seems a bit odd. What happens if he has to take over in an emergency?

Martian

Just now, Martian Hale said:

What happens if he has to take over in an emergency?

he jumps in the drivers lap I guess!    Or the loady could always reach through from below and give the pedals a push!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hendie said:

he jumps in the drivers lap I guess!    Or the loady could always reach through from below and give the pedals a push!

All sound aeronautical practice!

Martian

• Like 1

I''d guess, this is no more than a guess mind you, that the observical chap would rarely be expected to do the real technical stuff in the event of an emergency

You know, driving along the ground taxying kind of stuff and hence wouldn't need to toe the brakes

Close examination of the pedals, (trust me I have) shows there are links to hydraulic brake master cylinders quite a bit like the ones in my Midget

In a 'mergency I reckon they'd be happy if said observitator got the damned thing down on the deck and left parking to 'The Boy Who Knows About These Things' in his tractor

• Like 1

On 22/11/2016 at 13:44, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Kev. The last time I complained of blurred vision I was apparently trying to get into a friend's Landrover, thinking it was the taxi home but then I had had eleven pints of real ale and a couple of glasses of Champagne! :pardon: 

That fizzy stuff' get you every time!

• Like 1

On 2015-02-22 at 7:25 AM, hendie said:

more meticulous work and looking fabulous there Martin. This is going to be SOOOooooooo impressive when finished.

the TR7 looks nice

I have a TR7 too, except my Canadian TR7 has the steering wheel on the correct side.

• Like 1