Karel Doorman The Last Cruise, Grumman S-2A Tracker and SH-34 Helicopter

Cheers Guys. It may be that the increased meds are starting to cut in as I did feel like doing a bit on my Starfighter build today. I hope that I will feel well enough over the holiday period to start the last push needed to get things to the point I can start painting up the interior on the SH-34 build.

Martian

• Like 2

Whilst  awaiting delivery of a mask set for my Ju88 project, I decided to indulge myself in spending some time on the SH-34 part of the project.

I felt it was time to start getting some paint on the interior as this is going to be by far and away the longest part of the finishing process. I began by first giving the interior a shot of Tamiya primer. this was followed by the mind numbingly tedious process of painting all of the recesses on the structure with acrylic black. This will act as a sort of pre-shading. It was then time for an almost equally boring session or three masking off various areas and airbrushing the appropriate colours. As can be seen from the pictures, this process is still ongoing on the fuselage halves.

Next up was to carefully highlight any raised areas in lightened tones of their base colour to hopefully make the detail pop out more when it is in semi darkness when the fuselage is buttoned up.

Following this process, I will be giving everything a coat of gloss varnish before adding a pin wash where appropriate and flatting everything down.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Hello Dears,

Wow wow, a lot of page to read for this very nice and interesting thread.

If you don't mind, is there a little place for watching ?

I'll catch up quick and promise that I will not be too Noisy.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Paint.  Wow.  I mean.....Paint!!

3 hours ago, perdu said:

That is great detailing in the fuselage side structure, I may have mentioned that before

I think I may have done so too.  If not - I should have done and am rectifying the omission now (belt and braces approach :D)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Now here's an old friend!  I had almost forgotten about this build, but it's great to see it back

Thanks Crisp, you will probably be seeing a lot more of it as I want to have it ready for Telford, which means I have to get my skates on.

3 hours ago, perdu said:

I didn't forget this but I don't like to nag...

That is great detailing in the fuselage side structure, I may have mentioned that before

;)

Cheers Bill, the detailing is why I am going for the highlighting approach to painting the interior as I want as much as possible of the interior detail to be visible to the naked eye. I will still be going with the digital photo frame idea was well.

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dears,

Wow wow, a lot of page to read for this very nice and interesting thread.

If you don't mind, is there a little place for watching ?

I'll catch up quick and promise that I will not be too Noisy.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thank you Corsaircorp. The more the merrier and don't worry about being noisy, the usual suspects don't! 

28 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Paint.  Wow.  I mean.....Paint!!

I think I may have done so too.  If not - I should have done and am rectifying the omission now (belt and braces approach :D)

No, you are not dreaming, that is indeed paint you see on the model! Now go and lay down with a cold beer to get over the shock.

Thanks for the compliment about the side structure.

Martian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

I'm in shock can I have a nice cold beer......................

Seriously well just a little Good to see this challenging project underway again. Looking forward to some more Martian magic !!

Kev

You have to buy your own beer, sorry!

I got the grey on the interior today so my immediate future involves lots of highlighting.

Martian

6 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

This was one of the first threads I discovered when I joined this forum, It's great to see it back on the bench!

Ian

And it didn't put you off BM? now that really is crazy! :mental: 

When I can see past the horrible glossiness of the interior at the moment and visualize it flatted down, I am quite enjoying it at the moment. One problem though is the colour call outs for the detail parts on the instruction sheet are virtually non-existent and when they are there, they are invariably wrong. Not good for a colour blind alien, I suspect Mrs Martian will be called in to assist in the very near future.

Martian

1 hour ago, CJP said:

Fantastic scratch building - glad to see them back on the front pages again

CJP

Thanks, I am rather enjoying it.

21 minutes ago, shark 64 said:

Superb work going on here

Cheers Oliver, a great compliment coming from such an accomplished modeller as yourself.

Martian

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

Nice to see this one is still alive Martin,.....the interior of the Sikorsky looks great.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, the highlighting of the interior structure that I had been so not looking forward to has proved to be rather therapeutic thus far. I think it is because the detail I have put into the model is beginning to pop out as a result of the process. I have also rather enjoyed getting to use a brush on a largish scale again. I have been using Tamiya white brushes recently and have to say that they are the dog's danglies as far as brushes go, I just wish that they did them in more shapes and sizes.

More pictures very soon.

Martian

• Like 1

Well, I have been plugging away at this system of painting that I have been trying out. It is very labour intensive but at least I am pleased at the results I am getting. I have also been able to start adding some of the Eduard pre-painted parts for a bit of instant bling and am looking forward to adding the seat belts later today. On the whole I would say that they system of painting I am using is very much a case of "slowly, slowly catchee Martian;; still, its the results that matter. I have just got the engine and transmission assemblies primed and these will be next up for the detail painting. Enough of the waffle and over to the pictures.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 12

This is more than just a little bit super Martian

Quite offputting for a mere yooman like me, your work is a delight to see

:(

Bloody aliens coming here and being better than mumblemumblemumble......... ;)

• Like 3

Are you going to enlighten us on your painting technique, or just tease us?

I had a flight in a Wessex when I was on Summer camp with the ATC at Manston in the late '70's and the one thing I will always remember is how odd it was to look forward and see the pilot's legs way up there.......well, that and the low pass along the beaches, with everyone waving as we sat in the door!

Ian

• Like 1