Trumpeter 1/35 BR-52 Steifrahmentender

Looking good! It's great to see the two major components together, it has a lot of presence like that.

Will there be smoke deflectors? (I like smoke deflectors, especially the small Witte type.)

Will

I've been following this with excitement, especially the running gear as I've just perchased the schwere plattformwagen type ssyms 80.

It looks fantastic so far.

thanks guys - your comments are gratefully recieved

Ozzy - I hope you do a WIP of that - I'd love to see it go together - you don't see many of them built up online.

After this, I'll be building the K5 Leopold railway gun to hitch up to the back of this engine with the aim to build my first ever diorama

I'll do a WIP of the K5 if anyone is interested?

• Like 1

Oops, that was meant to read "the formula is sound" - that's fat finger syndrome for you

I re-read my post above and it does read rather insecure doesn't it. I wasn't taking a phishing trip.

I was more meaning I already post too much :)

I got the front end of the boiler glued down on the chassis last night and now just need to secure the back end. It looks like I'll have to do some filling. Dry fitting went well, but now for some reason, I can't get it too sit correctly. Never mind, putty is a wonderful thing when needed! Easy fix

thanks guys - your comments are gratefully recieved

Ozzy - I hope you do a WIP of that - I'd love to see it go together - you don't see many of them built up online.

After this, I'll be building the K5 Leopold railway gun to hitch up to the back of this engine with the aim to build my first ever diorama

I'll do a WIP of the K5 if anyone is interested?

Sounds an interesting project, looks fantastic so far

I have a Wip thread on the go in the dioarama section of the site titled not 009 or 007, I'm currently building the tiger as the trumpeter kit is a Christmas present, so hopefully start it some time over the festive period.

Ozzy

Sounds an interesting project, looks fantastic so far

I have a Wip thread on the go in the dioarama section of the site titled not 009 or 007, I'm currently building the tiger as the trumpeter kit is a Christmas present, so hopefully start it some time over the festive period.

Ozzy

cool - I'll check it out

I'd love to see the gun build too, I've got the 1/72 versions of both kits.....The weathering you have done on the 'chassis' (What do you call that bit of a loco? :hmmm: ) is splendid, it really sets the detail off a treat. B)

Thanks Sarge. I'm pretty sure it's called a chassis - or maybe a frame. I'm not sure either :)

I mentioned in another thread that I visited a hobby shop today to buy some hard tipped and pointed cotton buds and I ended up walking out with the AFV Club 1/35 German 2cm Flak 30 - http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=137721 (sorry - having issues with the linkage of text to URL so just used the first link to any image I got of this kit - it's not a buyer recommendation) - four barreled flack gun. It's perfect to go on the back of the tender and just what I was looking for - without actually knowing it...! :thumbsup:

I must say - it's a beautiful kit. You get turned metal barrels and some PE. Fully articulating/rotating barrel array folding side panels. It's awesome.!

I just need to get some figures for it. But that can wait..I can't paint figures to save myself, but I'll give it a go anyway. Might look a bit barren without them

In the mean time, I'm trying to put these bloody pipes on and they are giving me grief. :raincloud: I need another beer...

Edited by Madhatter

That really is coming together a treat buddy. The weathering is really looking the part. One suggestion, I'm not sure if all the locos were like this but I've seen one or two pictures of them with water staining around the oval openings on the sides of the firebox, these are plugs for washing out the boiler IIRC, might be a nice detail.

Some people do call it a chassis but frame is the more correct term (otherwise anoraks may beat you to death on the spot).

Keep it coming dude!

Odd.

Thanks Odd., most appreciated

What color would be best to represent water staining? I haven't finished weathering it yet, and will finish that part of it once its all gone together.

I also forgot to add the pipe and tap/wheel assembly on the bottom front of the boiler. Might scratch that up soon

My immediate thought for water stained areas would be to create tidemarks in white or grey, possibly surrounding areas of a darker and glossier version of the base colour, to suggest areas that are still damp? :shrug:

Just a guess, as the weathering of 'choo-choos' is not a speciality of mine.....I'm sure there must be dedicated railway modelling sites with a whole host of useful ideas?

hmm - always wondered what the white marks on some steamers were - I had it in my tiny noggin it was ash!... I think I'll try using a small dribble of Future and see if that works.

Well, whilst the following is a small update in terms of photos, the work involved is a different story.

'll start with the walking boards that run the length of the boiler. It's all PE and it's been a PITA getting it to go together. Mind you - I am a novice when it comes to working with PE, so I think I can be forgiven for the profanities that came out during the build process.

I primed it Tamiya White, then a spray of Semi-gloss black, then Alclad Aluminum, then some spots of Durilium then some pale burned metal and then lastly some spots and lines of gun metal to make it look like it had just been banged together and weld-burn marks are evident. It's been semi-gloss coated to protect it and I am about to go into the shed to give it another black coat and then I'll wear it down so it'll look bette3r than just straight silver underneath.

IMG_7619_zpsa0301b66.jpg

Then I spent the large portion of Sunday night, Monday day sorting out those friggin awful vinyl sand pipes. Again, it was a case of Primer, paint, clear coat then paint. I kinda wasted my time really doing the metallic underneath because these pipes didn't get knocked around at all but they did catch a lot of crud in behind etc - so that'll be something to weather later.

Getting them to stick to the actual engine was surprisingly easy using good ol' super glue. I've read some horror stories about that part and it was something I was dreading - but I needn't have worried. I'll add the taps at the end of the build - along with a few other trinkety things that will easily break. All sub assemblies are now being put together and painted separately

And at long last - the wheels are on and it really does look like an engine now! Yay!

IMG_7620_zpsde56c71e.jpg

IMG_7622_zps83a64922.jpg

IMG_7623_zpsc4c2c1ec.jpg

Quite the maze of pipes and so on in that last shot. Since taking these pics, I have added the cabin doors and the back of the cab. All the tape etc has been removed and it looks good! I am so happy with how this engine has come out so far Its a personal best for me. Hopefully, the K5 will come out just as good - although not as weathered as they weren't very dirty.

I reckon I am not very far away from the end. I still have the flak gun to build yet - but that'll come soon enough

Thanks for stopping in and looking. As always, please - if you have any constructive feed back - please drop a line

Si.

• Like 5

That's looking better with every picture, can't wait to see how the rest turns out.

What about Tamiya flat base for the water marks, it dries to a nice chalky finish. Mix with a little future and it might do the trick.

Odd.

• Like 1

Surprisingly - they are strainght from the box - although unsurprisingly there were ejector pin marks to clean up :)

I finished painting the runner boards last night and they came up beautifully. It seems almost a shame to have to wear down the paint but it needs to be done to keep them in line with the rest of the engine

I'll post some pics tonight if I find time

Edited by Madhatter

Thanks Sarge, greatly appreciated

I think I'm going to have problems getting the walk way boards to sit straight on the frame supports. Dry fitting is proving to be a real PITA. I don't think it's anything to do with the actual PE parts and more of a builder issue.

We'll see how it pans out over the weekend

Start at one end and hope for the best? :shrug:

I hate large etch parts.....Anything bigger than a 1/72 headlight guard should have been done in plastic IMHO! :wicked:

yes,I think that'll be the way to go. I'll soon find out whether or not that will work :)

I would have stuck with plastic, except the plastic ones on this are not very good

Well, things are now drawing to a close! At long last. I only have a few more things to attach and the engine is pretty much done - or at least construction will be. I will spend another few days weathering it so it's all uniform, but I hope to get the rest of it done tomorrow - or as much as I can.

The drive linkages were very fiddly to say the least but now that it's all together, it looks good. Even the bottom of it looks cool. I haven't taken any pics of that part yet -but I will.

Here's where I am up to at the moment:

IMG_7628_zps5543f8c6.jpg

IMG_7629_zpseb975b53.jpg

IMG_7631_zpsf121600b.jpg

IMG_7632_zps78a98008.jpg

IMG_7634_zps7f59158b.jpg

IMG_7635_zps048f7608.jpg

IMG_7636_zps25411f97.jpg

IMG_7637_zps19566a57.jpg

IMG_7639_zpsd53aa4af.jpg

The light green is really showing as prominent - but in the plastic, it's not as bright. It's only because I am using a high F stop and long exposure tie that it looks like that.

So there you have it - almost done! I bought a 1.8m length of timber today to get ready to start laying down some track and ground work. I've ever built a diorama before, so this (like a steam engine) will be a learning curve for me.

I'm just hoping that my shelf will be long enough. If not, then I may have to rethink building the K5 just yet and will have to make do with the 52. But I really do want to build the railroad gun

Anyway - it's almost half past midnight here and I am shattered, so I am off to bed, but I'll continue with this in the morning and start ading the final bits and bobs

As always, comments and constructive critique are always welcome

Bye for now

Si

• Like 5

98% finished now. Just need to add 2 or 3 things, then its time to build the flack gnus. I did some measuring last night and I do not have enough space to have this and the K5 in a row, so will have to rethink my dio to have them side by side. Not sure how I'll present it.

Please excuse the bad white balancing - I haven't got the energy to colour correct them all. I'll fix them over the next few days when I get a few free minutes to do it

IMG_7662_zps1a91dfbc.jpg

IMG_7666_zps638a241e.jpg

IMG_7667_zps3280184f.jpg

IMG_7668_zps6c66fe3b.jpg

IMG_7673_zpse35a382b.jpg

IMG_7676_zpsa78d8d99.jpg

IMG_7679_zps9c12c871.jpg

IMG_7680_zps5952bc54.jpg

IMG_7683_zpsf7bdce8d.jpg

IMG_7659_zpsb7741217.jpg

IMG_7658_zps7fc28cf3.jpg

Well, that's probably it now. The next batch of shots will most likely be the start of the flack guns

Till then

MH

• Like 4