Trumpeter 1/35 BR-52 Steifrahmentender

Good evening everyone

Sorry, this is not an update post - I haven't touched it for a week as I have has to build SWMBO's raised vege gardens and it's zapped any build enthusiasm I have. However, I do have a question which I am hoping someone can answer.

For all the references I have, including the walk arounds and so on, not ONE of them shows me what and where that big spring up front actually attaches to and what it is for. I'm assuming it's something to do with the brakes but I don't have any pictures of where the bottom of it attaches to. I can see where the top of the spring goes though - which is great.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I could follow a couple of other builds, but I want to make sure the info I have is right. I can not guarantee that the builders of the kits I've seen with them on are correct - despite the masterful quality

Thanks in advance

Si

Right, I may possibly have an answer for you. I can't be 100% sure without actually getting to look over the real thing, but I believe this spring is to do with the cylinder drain cocks. That is if it's the one sloping down towards the cylinder on the left side.

Bear with me.

http://data3.primeportal.net/transports/hans-hermann_buhling/rahmen/images/rahmen_029_of_132.jpg Here we see your spring, seemingly anchored at one end near to the reverser gear, connected to a rod at the other.

http://data3.primeportal.net/transports/hans-hermann_buhling/rahmen/images/rahmen_027_of_132.jpg Here is said rod moving down diagonally from right to left.

http://data3.primeportal.net/transports/hans-hermann_buhling/rahmen/images/rahmen_023_of_132.jpg Which then seems to connect to the top of the rod seen in this picture, running vertically down behind the motion to just behind the cylinder, you can see it stops just behind the lowest link in the motion.

http://data3.primeportal.net/transports/hans-hermann_buhling/rahmen/images/rahmen_108_of_132.jpg And on the opposite side we see an identical rod, connected to what looks like the drain cock actuator (the rusty bar along the bottom of the cylinder).

Might be telling you something you already know here but while the loco is stationary, any steam still in the cylinders will condense back into water. While steam can be compressed, water cannot, thus if you try to move the loco with water in the cylinders you're apt to blow the end caps off. Not pleasant at all. The cocks are small valves on the bottom which are opened to let any water drain out, and are not closed until after the loco begins to move, so that the steam entering the cylinders will help blow the last drops of water out (this is why engines start moving off in a huge cloud of steam at the front end).

By my reckoning these two vertical rods should be attached in some way to either a lever or wheel in the cab. Pull the lever/turn the wheel one way, the cocks are opened, the other and they close. My best technical guess is that the spring is to help the cocks close against the massive pressure of the steam.

This is all bearing in mind of course that I'm guessing right. I'd have to actually look at one in the flesh, because all the walkaround pictures are at the wrong angles to see everything properly.

Odd.

• Like 3

Odd - that is by far one of the most helpful posts I have ever had. Thank you for explaining what it actually is. I just assumed it was for braking beause if where it attaches to up top (some kind of tensioner or something) but your explanation is much more feisable. And it also makes things easier for me now that I know where to attach the base to. I have to add the additional detail along the bbottom of the cylindrs but I haven't done that yet for obvious reasons - I'd break them before long

And trust me - you haven't told me anything I don't know because I literally know NOTHING about steam engines other than what I've learnt along the way.

So, you made mention of a lever in the cab that would be pulled to activate these cocks - I can only see the spring attaching to the rod that connects to the large banana shaped thing that looks like a big brake clamp (I really need to post this at home where I can use pics to show what I mean). Looking at the assembly , I would say that the whole lot are connected by the same rod. Would that be a fair assumption?

OK, so as it turns out, the spring belongs to the reverse system and I also now know where the base of it attaches to - the frame that runs from the top of the cylinder back to the braking rod on the framework. As such, I have now incorporated it onto mine and is almost done. Also need to add some more wiring that i have missed and as a result of your post Odd, I need to detail the bottom of the cylinders to include the drainage system. Trust me, it's not a complaint in anyway - especially for someone who likes to detail like me :)

It was a good guess though and you provided me some info that I never knew about steamers

Si

Bugger, beat me to the pip. I was doing some more digging and saw that the rod was not attached to the top of the cylinder cock rods. It's so hard to see with all those links and the frames. Why didn't those pesky Germans design the things to be more photograph friendly, they must have known there would be people like yourself trying to glean minute details for their builds.

Incidentally, although it's all in Dutch (or should that be Deutsche), I ran across this website, and this brilliant technical diagram of German locomotive layout. It's not the BR-52, but some of the design aspects are almost identical. http://dlok.dgeg.de/115.htm You can plainly see the drain cocks (10), how the reverser gear works and is linked to the cab, and most importantly your big spring (44). It's anchored the opposite way from the BR-52, but the effect is much the same.

I'm pretty positive now that it's an aid to ease operation for the driver, since when the loco is actually moving the pressure of the steam going through the valves makes the reverser very hard to operate (I pulled a muscle in my shoulder doing it), and the google translation of the diagram key comes out roughly as control return spring, so there you have it.

Anorak on, I'm off to the railway station!

Odd.

My sincerest apologies for my delayed reply - I haven't been on line a lot lately. Thanks so much for all of your assistance on this Odd - it's been hugely appreciated.

I have built the spring and attached it, but for some reason, it keeps sagging - despite a plastic rod inside to stop it from doing exactly that.

Ini the mean time while I figure out a way to stop that, I have made the last little bits for the cab - namely the seat backs and will attach those tonight - ready to close it l up and attach the cab to the boiler

All being well, that should be done tonight :) Pics to follow later

greetings everyone

It's been a couple of weeks since I last updated this as I hadn't done much, but over the last couple of days, the engine has finally seen some movement.

The cab is now attached to the boiler and most of the external details have been added ready for paint - which I hope to start either today or later during the week.

I can't add all of them as I need to add those sand pipes (which I am dreading because from what I've read - they don't stick down to well, but hopefully, CA will do it's job)

I don't know whether it's a testament to Trumpeter's engineering or my building skills (the later I think is more likely) but there was an enormous gap between the wheel housing and the boiler, so out came the plastic strips and a patch job ensued. It worked fine in the end, but man - what a PITA.

Also, if you've ever built on of their kits, but Trumpeters PE stuff is so stiff and hard to fold when compared to Eduard. There's meant to be a little lip on the side window surround but I just couldn't get it to bend - even with annealing, so I just didn't bother with it. I might make up a thin plastic lip instead.

Anyways, enough talking, here's where I am at currently. The paint is so close I can smell it!

first up - the gap I mentioned before (up top)

IMG_7125_zpsc1b2883b.jpg

IMG_7133_zpsfccea395.jpg

IMG_7134_zps953b3963.jpg

IMG_7135_zps6729988a.jpg

IMG_7138_zps817857b1.jpg

IMG_7139_zps7d087d4c.jpg

IMG_7140_zpsd9acd6c6.jpg

IMG_7142_zps8de3b81f.jpg

IMG_7141_zpse5b13562.jpg

Well, that's it for now, but I'll be back again once I start the painting.

As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look

MH

• Like 5

oh yes - I completely agree. I put down the pre-shading today (well - only where dirt, grime etc build up - not a full on panel line shade like you would a plane - if you did that kind of thing) and now am getting ready to start masking it all up. However, I've run out of masking tape and I forgot to buy some whilst I was in town today, so it'll have to be a trip to the city during my lunch break on Saturday

greetings everyone

Well, after a few days solid of masking, painting, waiting for paint to dry, masking, painting and then the same process over again one more time, the first coat of paint is on and now you can see the scheme I had in mind.

I know some will not like it and that's fine - it won't suit everyone, but I personally really like it :)

There are a fair few fix ups to take care of but that'll happen soon enough. I also need to reattach bits that came off during the masking process.

Bear in mind, this is not weathered - it's just the base coats. I'll weather it accordingly once it's all together.

I also need to finish off painting the steam cylinders and I should do that tonight.

Anyway, enough talking, here's the pics:

IMG_7174_zpsb8619590.jpg

IMG_7178_zps69aee3e9.jpg

IMG_7179_zps416d7cce.jpg

IMG_7180_zps30151ce6.jpg

IMG_7182_zps770e629b.jpg

IMG_7183_zps90f77474.jpg

IMG_7184_zpsc23417ff.jpg

IMG_7185_zps246448ed.jpg

IMG_7187_zpsd505b07f.jpg

As you can see, the end of the line (pun intended :P ) is not too far away - but yet far enough to keep me busy for a while yet.

Any and all input is always greatly received.

Till next time

Si

• Like 6

Thanks guys. Hopefully, the weathering will blend it all together some more. Just need to look at some pics of real trains to get an idea on how to weather it correctly.

thanks guys :) I just peeled the masking tape off the steam cylinders and half the other colour came off with it - so major fix up time there.

Am about to paint the brakes and then I think it's about time to mate the boiler to the chassis and add some wheels!

Cheers Tommy

Well, I've made a solid start on the chassis ready to put the wheels and so forth on. Most of this weathering won't be seen and will be dulled down a bit before the final flat coat goes on.

I've been looking at pictures of engines and I've done what I've seen on a few operational engines - although some I really don't know how they kept on going as they were in such disrepair.

I've gone for a well used and hard worked engine that's been sitting out for a while. At least, I hope that's what I'll get..

Pics of where I am up to:

IMG_7214_zpsd481cd85.jpg

IMG_7216_zps26aa9bb6.jpg

IMG_7217_zps5a32cf0c.jpg

IMG_7218_zps7b47390e.jpg

IMG_7219_zpscb689482.jpg

IMG_7224_zpsae79d49e.jpg

Most of the weathering will be blended in with a coat of track dirt and won't be seen (hopefully)

Tell me what you think. Don't be shy. If it's very wrong now is the time to fix it :)

Si

• Like 2

Another post to add to the last one - I was too tired last night to take these

After looking at a fair few images of this area, I have decided to take the harder option and challenge myself with a rust job - a realistic one. Of course, my skills aren't quite there yet, but I enjoyed the challenge and think it came out looking like it should - well, to my eyes anyways :)

IMG_7233_zpsc35bf9e6.jpg

IMG_7234_zpsc8b47234.jpg

IMG_7236_zpsf6b59f26.jpg

IMG_7237_zps9e7801c5.jpg

IMG_7238_zpsf909c807.jpg

Well, that's it for this week most likely - unless I get some serious work done tonight - which at this point seems unlikely.

Please do feel free to offer constructive critique - I'll never learn to get any better if no one shares their views.

Thanks again

Si

• Like 5

well, it;s a small update this week. I haven't had a lot of time to do anything but arrange and execute my child's birthday party. Fortunately, it went well and I still have my sanity.

As for the build -well, as I said - not a lot of movement - but I have finished the base painting and underside weathering. The frame still needs a touch up here and there to dull out the over rusted areas

Tonight, I will mate the boiler tot he chassis - so we'll see how that goes.

Here's where I am up to currently:

IMG_7490_zpsebf9dfa2.jpg

IMG_7491_zpsa06572d2.jpg

IMG_7492_zpsf9f5baab.jpg

IMG_7493_zpsb2c170c9.jpg

IMG_7494_zpscf3158ab.jpg

IMG_7495_zps6c848091.jpg

IMG_7496_zpse16ebcd0.jpg

IMG_7498_zps4c79e9f1.jpg

IMG_7499_zps31a8cc2e.jpg

IMG_7500_zpsf1005028.jpg

IMG_7501_zpsd7fe8137.jpg

IMG_7505_zps91501b7d.jpg

In that last picture, you can see where I have lightly rusted it, but I will dull that down some and around the axle surrounds etc on the chassis - clearly evident in the second to last picture.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll be back again later

Till then

MH

• Like 3