Authentic Airliners A310 and A300-600

Yeah, I've been following it on airlinercafe, it looks lovely but (and why does there always have to be a "but"?) I'd like to make a few different colour schemes and so couldn't really afford to buy the number I'd like. Maybe one, but beyond that...I'll just wait for a new injection moulded kit to be released.

If you discover the secret of eternal life do please pass it on :waiting:

Ha!! I know that there's a few models of the A310 being planned - in various forms - so there may be the slim chance one of those will be an injection moulded kit. But then again, maybe not.

Jeff

Ha!! I know that there's a few models of the A310 being planned - in various forms - so there may be the slim chance one of those will be an injection moulded kit. But then again, maybe not.

Jeff

Weren't Revell polling to do an A310 a while ago?

Wow, the nose looks great! Wish he made a resin replacement part for the Revell widebodies.

OK, when I spoke to him a while back about replasement noses, he did say to make them fit the kit, made them incorrect again!

Weren't Revell polling to do an A310 a while ago?

Not quite sure what this means but I think the chances of Revell producing a brand new, re-tooled A310 are just about zero although I suppose they might reissue the existing kit at some point. I don't think it's been around since the Balair-CTA version many years ago.

Edited by Skodadriver

I'd better get on and finish my Thai -600 then... Based on the price of Kurt's 707-320 we're probably looking at 70-80 Euros for each version. I'll maybe get one each, as a centrepiece of my Airbus widebody collection, but would have to think carefully about getting any more.

Since EE has announced a L1011-500 and hinted at a MD-11, I've a feeling that one of the Eastern European manufacturers has an A310 somewhere in the pipeline. I saw a picture of an Aeroflot A310 on the Pas-decals.ru site, but I don't know if it's for decals or a hint of a new kit. I doubt if Revell will do a new tool, they wouldn't see the need if the old one is still serviceable; the errors won't bother them any more than it has on some of their newer releases (the Halifax and B-17 to name two). Although the chances are slim to none, they'd be more likely to tool an A300-600 fuselage for the Beluga.

OK, when I spoke to him a while back about replasement noses, he did say to make them fit the kit, made them incorrect again!

Surely if you cut the fuselage further back, say at the production break at Frame 26, this would address the problem? On the real aircraft the A300, A310, A330 and A340 fuselages are identical up to this point.

I swap the noses of my airliners all the time and the new sections hardly ever fit to the fuselage. All I'd need is a correct resin nose I could glue to the Revell fuse, sanding sticks and filler would do the rest. It couldn't be that hard to sand back the plastic to get a smooth joint.

• 3 weeks later...

The Authentic Airliners site is now showing the A310 as due at the end of April, price will be €89 :blink2: :

http://www.authentic-airliners.de/epages/64205758.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64205758/Products/K144-27

If you'll excuse the pun, A310 kits seem to be like buses; you wait ages for a new one, then two turn up almost at the same time. PAS decals appear to be also working on an A310: http://www.pas-decals.ru/forum/18--/5963-airbus-a310-1-144-pas-decals

At least we won't be spoilt for choice with markings, Ray at 26 Decals seems to have been quietly beavering away and now has new sheets for Delta Air Lines, Air Malta, Cyprus and a rather nice Biman Bangladesh aircraft: http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=79984&ViewAction=FacetedSearchProducts&SearchString=a310&SearchButton=. It'll be interesting to see what else appears...

Great news, looks like I can now sell my Revell kits.

The Authentic Airliners kit looks gorgeous, however I still prefer the PAS approach of 2 fuselage halves. And now I know why I'll be using my Air India decal sheet :wub:.

Ohh, I know quality comes at a price, but you see I'd like to make an Air India, BCal, Bangladesh A/L, Delta (thanks Ray), Pakistan A/L and probably a few more A310s. At 89 a pop, I doubt I'll buy more than one.

The Pas-decals offering may be cheaper (I hope) and having just received his Boeing 717 kit, if the A310 kit is as nice, I'll probably settle for that.

What I'd really like would be a new decent quality injection moulded kit from, I don't know, say one of the rapidly-improving-in-quality East European/Russian makers.

Maybe it's the lighting, but the PAS one looks a bit flat around the stabilizer area, more like the Airfix A300 shape.

And the brow over the windshield area seems a bit too pronounced.

Wow. I knew it was going to be expensive, but €89 is a bit too steep for me... I still prefer the A300-600, but that Cyprus Airways A310 is a stunner. I wonder if the PAS kit has the correct nose shape.

EUR 89 = GBP 73 approximately. :yikes: I'm fortunate to have a reasonably generous modelling budget and I'm huge fan of Authentic Airliners but that's completely prohibitive. Oh b*gger. The A300-600 is likely to be at least as expensive so I reckon it will be the Braz/Beluga route for me

Unless the PAS A310 turns out to be significantly cheaper and just about as accurate I reckon I'll dust down the Revell kits lurking in my loft and cast some replacement noses. Incidentally the PAS An-72 which I have almost finished was cast in a lurid bright green resin so I hope the A310 is a bit easier on the eye!

Any all-resin wide-body is going to be seriously expensive but there must come a point when even the best product prices itself out of the market.

I can't resist sharing that Google Translate rendered the sentence under the picture of Lenin on the PAS site as:

tovarischschi! Workers and peasants modelka ... the necessity of which talked all the time .. modelsheviki fait! YEEEE! Zhaksy Khabar! (KAZ)

Edited by Skodadriver

Maybe it's the lighting, but the PAS one looks a bit flat around the stabilizer area, more like the Airfix A300 shape.

And the brow over the windshield area seems a bit too pronounced.

I just looked at the PAS picture on a different monitor and there does seem to be some definition around the stabilizer area after all.

I can't wait to order both and judge on piece, however there are a few details I prefer on the Authentic Airliners kit (nose outline, etc) while still preferring the PAS fuselage breakdown and easier to cut open the cockpit windows on the Russian kit.

Thanks for the photos Pin. As usual with PAS, looks like their resin casting is superb, they really are my favourite resin 1/144 kits. I just hope their A310's nose isn't based on Revell's A330/A340's.

That's from Mr.PAS himself - the whole model is brand new and based on original 3D model. He's well aware about the problems with Revell kit

Edited by Pin

Looking promising.

Any news on a release date as the kit looks nearly ready?

When I got the Revell kit years ago (initial issue Lufthansa "Detmold", can't remember the reg) I thought the flap track covers were badly moulded until I saw a photo and they are at slight angles to the airflow. I only mention this as it's difficult to judge from the picture if the PAS kits wings have this feature.