Academy 1/48 Hawker Hunter F.6 "Black Arrows"

This was chosen by the good people of Britmodeller in a poll for my next build. :D

I made a quick start on it this afternoon after finishing my Phantom.

Kit and bits.

image_zps61022850.jpg

Dry fit.

image_zpsa3e7ff7f.jpg

More to come in the next few days.

Sean :pilot:

• Like 1

Well this is going nicely!

Painted and fitted the replacement Aeroclub cockpit, which is a vast improvement over the kit supplied piece. It just required a small amount of fettling to get it to fit perfectly. :D

The tailcone is just dry fitted. It too fits nicely albeit with a small gap running round the fuselage, but nothing major.

The rest just went together almost effortlessly. Just added weight in the form of Blutak and air rifle pellets.

image_zpscceaabb1.jpg

It's great this modelling lark!

Edit: the crappy picture will be replaced tomorrow, I really must sort out my proper camera!

• Like 1

I seem to recall that when original released, Mike McEvoy (of SAM) built it and found it easier to leave the intake trunking assy loosely in situ to aid location when joining the fuse up.

I seem to recall that when original released, Mike McEvoy (of SAM) built it and found it easier to leave the intake trunking assy loosely in situ to aid location when joining the fuse up.

I didn't have any problems joining the fuselage, just the instrument panel was set at the wrong angle which then interfered with the front of the fuselage.

On to today's progress.

Here's a side by side comparison between the seats at my disposal.

On the left we have the Aeroclub seat, middle is the Quickboost and on the right is the kit seat (ok stop laughing at Academy's joke...)

image_zps590947a6.jpg

I also fixed the wings and tail one in place along with some filling and sanding.

image_zps9882ae56.jpg

image_zps195c9c91.jpg

• Like 1

Let me guess - you're going with the Quickboost seat?

Looks like a crack in' job you're doing there. The "wing to fuselage" gremlins that beset my two builds of this kit you seem to have tackled without any fuss at all!

Looking forward to seeing it with some paint on.

Nick.

well Im going to say it - that Quickboost seat looks UNLIKE any MB seat I've ever seen. It looks more Russian than RAF MB issue.

FGS mate - check out some refs before you put that thing in the pit

Jonners, worried...

PS - sos - other than that , bring it on - I likey

Thanks Nick.

I see what you mean Jonners. It looks like the Quickboost seat has no back padding at all. And they've added those strange foot rest things to the front.

Comparing this (sorry for the blurry photo)

image_zps0d590808.jpg

To this

http://www.ejectionsite.com/mbamk3.htm

Time to think. :hmmm:

Sean

The QB seat and Aeroclub seat are pretty much identical in terms of height with the QB base being quite a bit smaller than the Aeroclub one. Neither fit the standard Academy cockpit at all, they're too tall.

I may build up the sides of the QB one with Milliput to see if it will look a bit better. If that doesn't work, it's the Aeroclub seat for the Aeroclub cockpit...

Sean

The "wing to fuselage" gremlins that beset my two builds of this kit you seem to have tackled without any fuss at all!

Nick.

That was solved with a bit of brute force and quite a bit of masking tape although for some reason, one fitted much better than the other and only needed a small amount of persuasion... :fight:

Despite it's know faults it's actually a nice kit to build I found.

I attempted a fair few of the "Corrections" and got around the pit dilemma by using the full Aires cockpit and seat set.

Yours is coming along nicely.

Edited by pte1643
  • Like 1

I've experimented with building up the sides of the Quickboost seat with Milliput. While it worked to some extent, I wasn't happy with it, so I'll be using a Neomega seat when it arrives.

image_zpsec4db991.jpg

I've also glued the various lumps and bumps on the bottom of the fuselage as well as sanding and polishing the seams.

image_zpsf6cd1fef.jpg

It'll be ready for a coat of primer soon, maybe even tomorrow!

Christ - that was quick!! Good work old chap

Jonners

BTW - I seem to recall others saying one wing was easy, and t'other a tad dicey too

Thanks Jonners. When I said one wing didn't fit as well as the other, I'm only talking about a tiny crack near the leading edge of the wing root. That's been solved with a small amount of Milliput and some superglue. :D

Sean

Cheers guys.

Phil, feel free to post a picture of the seat, it'll be interesting to see the different interpretations of the seat by the different companies.

Primer went on this morning, I'll let that harden today then maybe a coat of black tonight. :D

Sean

Aires...

As far as I'm aware the Quickboost seat is the Aires seat but with moulded on seat belts. They look identical from that photo you posted.

Sean

Sean have you checked clearance with the new seat in and the canopy on? The floor of the cockpit may be too high for the correctly sized seat, I remember seeing a thread were someone had to extend the pit down 2mm~ to get it all to clear.