1/48 Tamiya Fw190A-8 to break builder's block

I've been stuck lately and haven't been able to get myself to spend much time at the bench. I was working on an Airfix Seafire XVII, but couldn't stay motivated, hopefully that won't be the case with this one!

Obligatory kit/aftermarket photo:

13268765805_efdb22a79e_o.jpg

I've already got the ball rolling on this one with the airframe riveted and armor panels installed. The armor panels are from the Hasegawa Fw190A-6 "Sturmstaffel I" kit, and required minor reshaping to get them to fit properly. They were also quite thick, so I sanded them down for better scale thickness. I don't like the vinyl panels that Tamiya provides, nor do I like the PE panels supplied in the Eduard set, so I stole the Hasegawa parts since I don't plan to build my A-6 as a Sturm.

13269103294_769168e2b0_o.jpg

Also went ahead and installed the modular underwing panels and upper wing bulges. When it comes to riveting in 48th scale, I prefer to do an "artistic" representation of the rivet pattern as opposed to FULL riveting. I also rivet the underside less than the top of the wings and fuselage, because once my models are done I almost NEVER look at the bottom haha. Guess you could call me lazy in that respect.

13269274344_cecaf86f1f_o.jpg

Now on to the cockpit!

• Like 5

Very good start here! I'm interested in this kit so it will be especially interesting following this one come together.

Very good photos as well!

About the riveting, I think that's just sensible :)

Thanks guys! I've been working but haven't really done anything else to warrant posting pics - mostly cleaning up all of the seams and ejector pin marks from all of the parts. I'm going to try to get started on the cockpit today :thumbsup2:

Okay, finally a small update but things should start to pick up speed now. I've prepped every part for the whole build in advance, and now I'm getting the first bit of paint of stuff :)

Here's an early shot of the MDC tub and modified kit rear deck with some shading and fading, detail painting and more pics soon!

13457286385_aa4e947ae0_c.jpg

• Like 2

Peter - I first sprayed the dark areas with Tamiya Nato Black, then overall with Tamiya German Grey for RLM 66, then added a drop of white to the German Grey for the highlights. Then everything was dry-brushed with Vallejo Neutral Grey and individual detail picked out with Vallejo acrylics.

• Like 1

Cockpit is done aside from assembly. I'll try to get a few pics of things mocked up before I close up the fuselage

I prefer using PE rudder pedals, but this build is partly an excuse to use up bits from the spares box so the pedals and control column are CMK, the cockpit tub is MDC, the seat is Vector, the upper instrument panel is from a leftover Eduard set, and the rear deck is a modified kit piece. There's also a Quickboost gunsight not pictured :P

13541370783_ab39d87de9_c.jpg

Edited by Brewer
  • Like 2

Thanks guys!

Wow, exceptional paintwork! Are you going to drill out a cable slot in the armour spar?

I'm not going to drill and run the aerial all the way through, I'm just going to drill a hole in the underside and run the interior part of the radio wire separate from the outside aerial

Last pic of the cockpit while it's visible, I've since closed up the fuselage.

This is a VERY loose mockup with Tamiya tape, things line up perfectly with a little pressure :)

13562251615_41d191e926_c.jpg

13562319193_6ca6fb5f81_c.jpg

13562319283_f381ef0348_c.jpg

• Like 7