1/35 Trumpeter BR86 Dampflok

bangle

I'm quite pleased, though somehow I wouldn't expect them to be otherwise.

The work continues at a pace, more detail is being added to the domes. I added handles made from a spare banjo string we had lying about and added some of the eduard etched bolts. I also attached some more of the etch and a little of the LZ models resin. I decided it was time to start adding the pipe details, I used florists wire for this as it's easy to bend stays where it's put once bent.

IMG_8424.jpg

IMG_8427.jpg

I also had one of those 'why didn't I think of that before?' moments whilst adding the hex rods to the end of said wire. I realised I could very quickly and simply add detail by drilling a little into the middle of the bolts on the kit. I'm sure this kind of thing would be obvious to most people, but hey maybe i'm a little behind the drag curve sometimes.... :blush:

IMG_8478.jpg

I also regressed back to childhood and did some papier mache work on my pipework with some toilet tissue and pva to try and replicate a wound appearance. Once i'd gotten all of the bits of toilet tissue and glue on my fingers I was pleased with the effect, but i'll have to give it a spray once it's dry and see.

IMG_8485.jpg

IMG_8487.jpg

It's also getting to the point where I need to make the decision I keep on putting off, do I make the rods that go through to the cab go all the way through or do I just make it look like they do? The first way has the advantage of stability but the major disadvantage in that it would make things much harder to assemble. Would you really notice if the inside doesn't quite line up with the outside or not? I just don't know, but I need to make a choice so I know what to work on assembly wise.

• Like 2

It's also getting to the point where I need to make the decision I keep on putting off, do I make the rods that go through to the cab go all the way through or do I just make it look like they do? The first way has the advantage of stability but the major disadvantage in that it would make things much harder to assemble. Would you really notice if the inside doesn't quite line up with the outside or not? I just don't know, but I need to make a choice so I know what to work on assembly wise.

I say go for the "all the way through". It'll look more authentic IMO. Also, I think you'll get a better sense of achievement too - well, at least I would anyway - but maybe that's just me.

I highly doubt anyone would notice if they were out by a couple of MM's. You would have to be looking for it to notice it I think. Mind you, if they were wayyyy out then maybe not...

I love the look of your asbestos tape using the toilet paper too. It's come out really nicely. I'm thinking about using small strips of medical bandage for mine when I eventually get to it. However, if that doesn't work I think I'll use your idea.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing more Amanda!

Si

Thanks :) Bandaging sounds like a good idea, though toilet roll is a heck of a lot cheaper if you don't have handy free access to such things! I'm actually starting to err away from the all the way through choice now i've realised how loose a fit that wall is, I think it needs some work (just another thing to add to my list!). Also I think i'm going to have to drill through the photoetch that will be going on the inside.

I got a bit overwhelmed today by thinking of all the things that I still had yet to do, mainly with the thought, where the heck do all those pipes go??! In the end I decided not to worry about the whole picture and just take it bit by bit.

I've got another little something I can do now. This morning my rail arrived! It appears to be quite similar in profile to the trumpeter kit part so i'm pleased. The rail chairs I got to fit with it all are a little basic but i'm sure I can spruce them up a bit.

IMG_8501.jpg

IMG_8494.jpg

This also means I can go back to where I left off when the build stalled first time round and make a base. I need to construct my rails so I can get my wheels correctly positioned on the frame. I don't want them to be hanging around in mid-air like they are on the pictures of the built model on the side of the box! (i've also seen a few complete builds with the same issue).

To begin with the rail making I sub-contracted out some of the work to my husband David. He has already made me a spacer comb using a simple cad program so, knowing that he's faster and more accurate than me (he can also cut very straight lines using the fret saw, I usually have to get a file out afterwards) I asked him kindly to help. Just in case you're wondering, no my hand is not that big or hairy!

IMG_8528.jpg

IMG_8527.jpg

IMG_8530.jpg

The domes are also progressing, with the resin being added to the first two domes. The parts were drilled and pinned before assembly to make sure that they are attached as firmly as possible. I noticed that the sand dispenser thingys (my terminology is appalling) are in sets of 3 with a blanking plate as opposed to 4 as supplied by libor's resin parts. It's just one of those little things I suspect is unique to 86 333 and not representative of 86's in general.

IMG_8534.jpg

IMG_8535.jpg

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading my post, i'm off to bed after a long day model making!

• Like 1

I noticed that the sand dispenser thingys (my terminology is appalling) are in sets of 3 with a blanking plate as opposed to 4 as supplied by libor's resin parts

At one time all driving wheels had sand pipes to them. At some stage they were removed from one set of drivers. Quite why ?, could be lots of reasons. It was far from unknown on British locos. The probability is that it's a class wide mod and not specific to 333.

Fantastic work, pity Airfix don't do something similar for a UK prototype.

Stu

Where did you get that rail from? Who makes it? Does they come with those cleat looking things that hold them to the ground?

I wouldn't mind a set for myself

Where did you get that rail from? Who makes it? Does they come with those cleat looking things that hold them to the ground?

I wouldn't mind a set for myself

I got my rail from tenmille products (http://www.tenmille.com/index.html) , it's 'bullhead nickel silver' rail (you can get other shapes as well, I think bullhead is the most accurate) and comes in yard lengths (their product code is AG109AS). The rail chairs (that's those cleat things!) come separately as a pack of 60 (their product code is AG070A). The lot cost me around £10 with postage (the lady said it would be a lot cheaper per unit if I wanted more than one, they're clearly not used to dealing with static display requests!). I only really had any success with ordering from them by phone, they're a little old fashioned business wise I suppose.

At one time all driving wheels had sand pipes to them. At some stage they were removed from one set of drivers. Quite why ?, could be lots of reasons. It was far from unknown on British locos. The probability is that it's a class wide mod and not specific to 333.

Fantastic work, pity Airfix don't do something similar for a UK prototype.

Stu

Thanks for the info Stu, I hadn't really looked into it too much, it's good to know a bit of background though. What i'd love to know is which set doesn't have them, i've been squinting at the wheels on the pictures i've found on 333 for the ends of the pipes but I can't work it out. Seen as it is a much more common thing than I thought I can always have a look at other locos and find out that way now so your info is going to come in handy :).

I agree with you on the kits front, it would be nice to see a good plastic kit of a British steam loco.

Well the 'sprucing up' has turned into some fairly major modifications, which is not easy considering these things are made out of vinyl. I've made the clamping part much thinner and the whole lot much sorter overall with hex shaped rod added to replace the bolts I chopped off.

IMG_8545.jpg

IMG_8544.jpg

One down 47 to go...................................................................................................................................................

IMG_8547.jpg

• Like 1

I love your attention to detail, this looks like a fantastic project. I also like the fact that you're doing the beautiful black/red version, great choice.

Thanks, I do love the black and red scheme, it looks very smart.

2 days, some sore fingers and a nasty cut on my index finger later, I have all 48 rail chairs modified. Now it's time to make them rusty :D.

IMG_8551.jpg

The chairs are all rusty now, I engaged my husbands services to drill me some holes in my sleepers. He's good at the precision thing. First he made me a test piece to work out the best width based on my frame and wheels.

IMG_8556.jpg

Then he used a cad drawn template to drill the holes. It didn't quite work as planned, it seems the paper stretched itself a little on glueing so some of the holes had to be widened a little bit, but we got it sorted in the end.

I also weathered the walnut sleepers up a little using tamiya smoke which I handpainted on, left to dry then sanded the top.

IMG_8571.jpg

IMG_8572.jpg

Next the ends of the rails were cut off with a circular saw to give a clean edge to my base

IMG_8576.jpg

IMG_8580.jpg

My next job is to get the sides of the rail all rusted up then after that i'm back onto loco building!

• Like 2

Where did you get those sleepers from?! Wow, you certainly have some stuff I never knew existed and now I want it too....my wallet is really hating me right now

I bought a set of 4 of those RB buffers too. Will use the kit ones for the join between the engine and the tender, but use the RB ones for the noticeable ones on either end.

Keep up the fantastic work!! :D

MH

Where did you get those sleepers from?! Wow, you certainly have some stuff I never knew existed and now I want it too....my wallet is really hating me right now

I bought a set of 4 of those RB buffers too. Will use the kit ones for the join between the engine and the tender, but use the RB ones for the noticeable ones on either end.

Keep up the fantastic work!! :D

MH

I made the buffers from some 5mm walnut sheet stock I had hanging around from my wooden model ship building times. We used our hobby circular saw to cut it into 8mm wide strips then cut them to length which was 75mm.

Well it looks like we're having an exchange of information as I hadn't yet come accross the RB buffers before, I just looked them up, they're a VERY nice bit of kit.

Thanks tommy1drop, work is progressing slowly and steadily at the moment as i'm doing a bit of hand painting on the rails. Though I was a bit annoyed this morning, our small child decided to nudge me whilst painting and I had to remove brown enamel paint from one of my sleepers! Luckily I was using a fairly fine brush and I could scrape it off with a blade.

Well i'm pretty pleased with how my rust has turned out. First I painted a base of humbrol 160 along all the rails and left that to dry. Once dry I found one of my fuzziest brushes and used it to dry brush on a mix of humbrol 62 and 82. I then went along the top edge with some drybrushed 82. Then all the paint that ended up on top of the rails were sanded off with a fine micromesh (the major advantage to using metal rails!).

IMG_8655.jpg

IMG_8658.jpg

Now that's done i'm on to getting my wheels fixed up so that they will sit on the rails correctly.

• Like 1

Some truly excellent work being shown here. My wallet has already taken a hit with buying a load of resin parts for my BR-86 and 52 kits, now all I need is to get some of that there track. :frantic:

Thank you :) I'm sorry to hear about about your wallet Dave, i'm sure it will recover though.

Not many more purchases on my part. I did get myself a few little bits and pieces from Cosford model show though. I decided i needed a single drain to go next to my water pump so I bought the mini art street accessories kit. The funniest thing is I only need a single drain from the whole set but i'm sure the rest will come in useful some day. I also got myself some more ballast as I think the stuff i'd already bought was quite under scale.

IMG_8676.jpg

Back to the model. A lot of thinking has been going on in the intervening time and very little actual making. I'm busy trying to remember what I was going to do on my frame and in what order, I had gotten it figured out about 2 years ago!

In actual visible model terms, I have managed to get some brass rods through my wheels and get them test fitted (the rear ones look really wonky in the pictures as the blue tak I put on to test fit was busy deciding to give up on me!).

IMG_8752.jpg

IMG_8758.jpg

IMG_8754.jpg

The frame is at a point now where I want to get its first spray done, I still haven't chosen the red i'm going to use yet. The restored version is quite bright but I might tone it down a bit. I don't want it to look too plastic if you know what i mean. I've also been working on the front buffer, I've got most of the detail sorted apart from making some steps. I decided to make my own frame for the steps to go on as the kit part was too thick and the photo etch too thin and not at all like the ones on 333. I also added a wire hook, i'm not sure what it does but it's very noticeable on the real thing. There's a couple of other minor adjustments to kit parts for accuracy sake as well.

IMG_8760.jpg

IMG_8764.jpg

Anyway, thanks for the comments, hopefully I will get my colour sorted and get some airbrushing done tonight.

• Like 2

Digging around trying to find what that hook is for - still no idea - came across this which may be of interest

http://www.marklin-users.net/forum/yaf_postst18081_Wutachtalbahn.aspx#post270637

Stu

Thanks Stu, I have found this page before, it is a very useful one. I may even be going on a visit to the railway later on in the year if all goes to plan!

Excellent work! The rails look great, as do the added detail to the front buffer. I've said it before, but every time I see the black/red version I'm convinced of your choice. It will look great in red with small details painted and some oil and grease added.

Thank you Jorgen and René. I've just had to upgrade my photobucket account because I exceeded my monthly bandwidth allowance on this thread, so i'm glad my work is appreciated! I can't say trains is usually my thing either but I enjoy doing something a bit different. It's fun and remarkably challenging as i've never really gone too far into adjusting a kit before. I feel like i've gone on a crash course in scratch building!

I didn't manage to get any airbrushing done as we had visitors but it may be a good thing as i've decided to postpone it a bit whilst I sort out the frames between the main frame and the boiler. It seems they need some work (no surprises there). One of the frames is completely innaccurate and the others need some adjustments. I am also going to add in the panels and bolts around the edges. Below is a good comparison of the kit and the actual thing. It makes me realise I have a long way to go and a lot of little things to make!

frames.jpg

ah - the joys of building a Trumpeter kit huh? More work than you expect....

You've really banged this one out so far - miles ahead of me! It's really starting to take shape now.

Always looking forward to an update from you :)

MH