Su-33 Flanker D 'Yellow 13' Ace Combat - 1:72 Hasegawa

Paul A H

Su-33 Flanker D 'Yellow 13' Ace Combat

1:72 Hasegawa

su33acecombat_boxtop.jpg

The multirole Sukhoi Su-33 Flanker D is the navalised variant of the successful Su-27 all-weather interceptor. At least 24 examples of the type have been constructed for Russian Naval Aviation, all of which operate from the Russian Federations sole full-size aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznestov. The Su-33 differs from the Su-27 in a number of respects. Most noticeable are the canards, situated forward of the wing which provide additional lift and manoeuvrability. The Su-33 also features larger wings with a powered folding mechanism, folding horizontal stabilisers, in-flight refuelling capability and the ability to carry a range of air-to-surface weapons.

This kit is part of Hasegawa's range of 'Ace Combat' themed models. Ace Combat is a successful and long-running video game series produced by Japanese developer Namco Bandai. The series is set in a fictional world but is famous for its use of both real and fictional aircraft. It is most definitely orientated toward the arcade/shoot 'em up style of gaming as opposed to flight simulation. Having spent a good chunk of my salad days hammering away at a couple of the Playstation 2 versions, I can testify that it is great fun. Yellow 13 was the 'boss' character in Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies, whom you have to take on and shoot down before completing the game. In the game he, and the rest of his squadron fly Su-37s, but I guess Hasegawa felt that the Su-33 was close enough to justify a new set of decals.

Hasegawas Su-33 caused quite a stir when it was announced a couple of years ago, mainly amongst fans of Soviet/Russian aircraft who hadnt expected a kit of this type from Hasegawa. Interestingly, the kit seems to have inspired a handful of new tools from the Japanese manufacturer, covering other modern subjects such as the Eurofighter Typhoon, MV-22 Osprey and F-35A Lightning II. The kit arrives in an impressively large, top-opening box, inside which are four large sprues of light grey plastic parts, separately moulded upper and lower fuselage/wing halves, a small clear sprue, a stand (also moulded in clear plastic) decals and instructions. The quality of the mouldings is superb. Surface details are very finely engraved and include both panel lines and rivets/fasteners. No flash, sink marks or flaws are visible anywhere.

Su33sprue1.jpg

Su33sprue2.jpg

The cockpit is comprised of a tub including side consoles, an instrument panel, control column and a five-part K36 ejection seat. Instruments and controls are depicted with nice, raised details although decals are provided as well. The instrument panel coaming and head-up display complete this sub-assembly. Aftermarket enhancements are available for this part of the kit, but I reckon the parts provided in the box are still up to the job.

As is the case with many kits of modern types featuring blended wing-fuselage joins, the main airframe is very simple to construct as it is made up of just two (upper and lower) halves. The wings and fuselage are moulded together and, although the Su-33 features folding wings, Hasegawa have chosen not to provide the option to fold the wings out of the box. This will either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your preference. Speaking personally, I think the aircraft looks great either way and I would have liked to have the option. That said, given that Yellow 13 was actually a Su-37, it might be best to quietly ignore this aspect of the kit's design!

Su33sprue3.jpg

Su33sprue4.jpg

The engine intakes are full-length multipart affairs that feature nicely moulded turbine faces rather than plain blanks or, worse still, an expanse of open fuselage. All of the undercarriage parts are very nicely represented. The main landing gear wheels are moulded separately from the tyres, which will make painting easier. The tyres are moulded without flats spots or bulges, so you'll have to sand them down if you want to add this feature. The large dorsal airbrake is moulded separately and may be posed open.

The same excellent range of weaponry found in the regular edition of this kit is provided by Hasegawa, namely:
4 x B-8 rocket pods;
4 x R-27R 'Alamo A' air-to-air missiles;
4 x R-27ET 'Alamo D' air-to-air missiles;
4 x R-73 'Archer' air-to-air missiles;
2 x R-77 'Adder' air-to-air missiles; and
2 x R-60 'Aphid' air-to-air missiles
Along with various launch rails. The parts for all of the weapons are nicely moulded and the spares will come in very handy indeed.

The clear sprue is very nicely moulded and is cleverly designed to as to protect the delicate parts that it holds. Unlike the regular version of this kit, a clear plastic stand of the type supplied with Hasegawa's Eurofighter Typhoon and F-15E Strike Eagle is also crammed in the box.

Su33sprue6.jpg

stand.jpg

Surprisingly, given the 'Yellow 13' moniker on the box lid, a number of marking options are included. Not only do you get Yellow 13, but also Yellow 4, 18 and 21. In each case the colour scheme is a rather fetching three-tone grey splinter camouflage over pale yellow undersides with darker yellow wingtips. A range of additional decals are provided on the sheet, for various units of the Erusea Air Force, but you'll need to be able to read Japanese (or be a real Ace Combat buff) to figure out what they are all for.

su33acecombat_decals.jpg

Conclusion

This is a really excellent kit that will hold lots of appeal for fans of Soviet/Russian types. The decal scheme won't be to everyone's taste, but I can see why Hasegawa have re-released the kit with this scheme as there aren't that many options for the real life Su-33. Overall this is a high-quality package and, if you can afford to treat yourself to one, you should be a very happy modeller.

Review sample courtesy of logo.jpg UK distributors for logo.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

While Yellow 13 was in fact an Su-37, this kit is modeled after the Su-33 Yellow 13 as it was in Ace Combat 6. I just finished this kit and it is quite nice from a detail perspecitve. There were some fit issues with putty and quite a bit of sanding on the nose cone and engine intakes. Aside from those minor gripes it is a nice kit and it served to get me back into plastic models after more than thirty years.

Here are a few shots. The detailed build thread can be found here.

d320_zps993e8d62.jpg

d380_zps649084e0.jpg

d370_zps29c0644e.jpg

d330_zps5f58bf10.jpg

• Like 4

While Yellow 13 was in fact an Su-37, this kit is modeled after the Su-33 Yellow 13 as it was in Ace Combat 6. I just finished this kit and it is quite nice from a detail perspecitve. There were some fit issues with putty and quite a bit of sanding on the nose cone and engine intakes. Aside from those minor gripes it is a nice kit and it served to get me back into plastic models after more than thirty years.

Ah, well there you go then. Serves me right for trying to be too clever! :lol: Your model is excellent, by the way. I'm glad this kit helped you to find your way back into the hobby :)

Paul

• 2 months later...

Just to note a bit of trivia, the extra decals that come with the kit are actually decals for the other enemy aces you shoot down in the game.

You'll have to play the game to know what it is about, but It's a nice touch they gave to the fans.

Here is a list of the aces you encounter here so you can build all the aces of the Erusean air force if you wish!

http://acecombat.wikia.com/wiki/Ace_Combat_04:_Shattered_Skies/Aces

• 7 months later...

Hy friend,this is my first reply in here. Congratulations the most finish work that i can see in a su-33 amazing, for the other hand i have a question and i need help...which was the colors used to paint as yellow 13? did you use humbrol colors?if were posible please somebody help me to find the right colors to this great camo.

thanks a lot!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...