Su-22U 1/72 (Hobbycraft Canada)

Hello

I thought I'd do this group build. I recently discovered my local model shop and have been 3 times in the last few days. Today I bought this kit for £5 - and it's entirely complete. I was pretty suprised to be honest but happy with it. The only thing I want to do is get different decals - I hate having generic USSR decals so I might get some Polish ones or print my own. This is the last kit I'm doing entirely by hand I hope (airbrush should be coming soon) but the first I'm going to build extra detail for - including printing cockpit details, making some joysticks and such from spare parts, and so on. Any advice is appreciated but I'm not going for the most accurate model ever. I'm not as amazing as some of you lot so it frustrates me too much to do so ;)

I started the kit today for this - I've done pretty much nothing but thought I'd share and update when I can (hopefully daily).

So the box was very pretty for what it was, I like the artwork. The instructions (haven't photoed) are really handy too - separated into inside, wing assembly, fuselage, painting, decals.

20140318_202050_zps312a006e.jpg

The first thing that happened? Well it's an oldish kit I think. Either way there was a small crack as part of the kit came of the sprue. Some left over green stuff from my Warhammer times (which I may get back into...*sigh*) came to the rescue. The inside is messy, but I'm not too fussed as it wont be visible at all.

20140318_202120_zps6cf55520.jpg

20140318_202129_zpsea3313f2.jpg

I used some Skull White to undercoat the inside of the cockpit and the pilots seats. They don't look great, but they'll be fine once some detail is added.

20140318_204231_zpsa6ac7e5f.jpg

And then I realized...I'm going to have to do some work - Green Stuff to the rescue again? Or anyone got a better idea?

20140318_204455_zps0439e6d2.jpg

Thanks. I'm going to get an A4 decal sheet (maybe a few to be honest) so I can print some of my own decals. I need some for this kit and it'll save a few bob. I aim to have this done in under a month. And I'll be sure to ask you for advice!

I'd use pieces of sheet plastic cut to size and glued overtop the gaping caverns. Remember the ones on the rear bulkheads will be partially hidden by the seats so they can be thin strips. The floors ought to be as wide as you can fit them in but if that doesn't work, you can always disguise their edges by putting in side consoles.

Seeing as this isn't an Airfix kit there aren't pilots, the chairs sit pretty low so I can afford to happily put in something to fill the gaps. I'll have to wait until I'm paid before I can get any sheet plastic. It's that or use some cardboard cut to size...but that will give it an odd appearance won't it?

Also, I think I might do this as a flying model kit...what do other people think?

Small update:

I've been a bit tired the last few days. Done a lot of driving for interviews/taking partner to work at 4:30 resaulting in stupidly long and tiring days. As a resault the furtherest I've done in regards to work on this is work out my paint scheme, get over ambitious, and get some plasticard to fix the abyss in the cockpit.

I'm hoping to do some tomorrow whilst I do some baking before my friend comes over in the evening.

This is the paint scheme I'm planning to do. If anyone has any advice on how to achieve this without a paintbrush well let me know :P

Sukhoi%20SU-22..EBFS%202009%20(7).jpg

• Like 2

Ohh if you do have them I wouldn't say no to them! It would look great wih pilots in :)

Edit : Looking at it too I might just get some decal paper to do the tigers head decal for the front. I'm not skilled enough to paint it so might as well cheat it :P

Edited by Commontsar

Ohh if you do have them I wouldn't say no to them! It would look great wih pilots in :)

Edit : Looking at it too I might just get some decal paper to do the tigers head decal for the front. I'm not skilled enough to paint it so might as well cheat it :P

No worries, I will have a look later.

20140321_172938_zpsby8qybjn.jpg

Hsd a look, and mostly had WWII pilots. But had the above, which are from the Revell Canberra. If you want them, drop me a PM with your address, and I will post them out.

Finally some progress. Sorry it's been so slow. Looking for jobs / horrible group 'interviews' and actual work have been taking up much of my time.

Howevver, I've got the tail stuck together and the wings are being glued. I'm probably not going to glue them in place/fully together until I've painted it as they'll be parts that will be visible at different times due to it being a swing wing. My airbrush arrived at my parents (yeah, ordered it to the wrong house xD) so I'll have to pick it up in a few weeks when we go on holiday. Until then I can get the inside of the cockpit sorted and the pilots sorted too soon (thank you again!).

su22_zpsa08f3a61.jpg

Unfortunately there will be a fair few gaps when it's stuck together. So I'll have to green stuff and file them in. It should look nice when it's done.

Edit: Those bits in brown tape are the wing by the way ;)

I think I'll try, for once, to shade the panel lines to make them show through the paint. Turns out I'll probably be airbrushing this though - might as well make it look great :)

I might try and do a Tornado (ESCI kit) and Mig 23 (Academy) to fly alongside this - they were both under £10 after all.

Edited by Commontsar
  • Like 1

Ok...sorry for a double post. I've glued the outer wing sections together and can now show you the finished shape so to speak. It is held together vaugely with blue-tak right now. Not going to finish the wings until I've decided how I'm doing the camo.

But hey, it's progress. In the mean time until I get my airbrush (as I've decided to do that now) I'm going to sort out the canopy and stick together most of the aircraft too. I'm doing this as a flying model rather than with landing gear - as someone pointed out the kits landing gear is...questionable. But hey, it'll look nice alongside a Tornado and Mig-23 won't it? ;)

su22_zps68f4e57e.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, sorry for the delay. Was on holiday and now I'm back.

Finally got my airbrush and ruined a cheap model I had so thought I'd get some acrylics (which I find easier with the airbrush) and start the Su-22. As I said I'm doing the Polish tiger paint scheme. I know my Fitter isn't exactly the same. and I'm an amatuer anyway so it won't be the best.

I managed to spray most of the model rather than just what the area I meant to - that was mainly due to not getting the right consitancy with paints and not wanting to waste what I had :P

Either way I know I can go over what I've left so it's no bother.

Next to do are the tiger stripes. After that I'm sorting out the cock pit and the pilots and then I'm going to go ahead and finish assembly and camouflage before finally finishing.

Phew.

Right so here is what I have so far. Don't judge me :P

begining_zps120647b4.jpg?t=1397717152

• Like 1

Yellow is always hard yeah. I remember doing my Alaitoc Eldar in Warhammer...my god...yellow just never looked good. To be fair though it looks a LOT nicer airbrushed than hand painted. It ...it's just not fun. Not looking forward to any white I have to do except base coats :/

• 3 weeks later...