Matchbox Victor...I'm guilty.

Commontsar

Hello :)

So first post...and my god I feel so happy with this. So I've always loved the V-Force. Cliche I know, but I do love them. I already have a Valiant and Vulcan at home (both Airfix kits). I got a Victor a few years back too, the Matchbox one. I got it complete on eBay for the stellar price of £8 and P&P. Bargin. I haven't realy started it...ok I did but the paintwork is awful and when I get my airbrush/compressor set I'll do some practice models and move onto it.

So here's the pretty box...(please don't judge my need-copious-amounts-of-cleaning carpet)

1kit_zpse0afb110.jpg?t=1395097825

So I haven't really explored my local area before...and I said to my partner after work one day I wanted to see a few shops. I know we have a web based store here that lets you purchase from it's warehouse directly but I wanted to see a more traditional one like I'm used to in Swindon - you know the sort, walls of models and too much choice?

So as I said I had one Victor already.

Well there was one sat there in the second hand section. I grabbed it and checked it was complete - one thing missing off the sprue but rolling around in the box. I couldn't resist - I've seen these sell for £50 on eBay now and it was only £30...so I got it. I had to.

So I now have 2 Victors...and maybe 2 Vulcan kits soon too. Somebody help me xD

kit2_zps5928bee1.jpg?t=1395097830

Also, isn't that artwork just glorious?

• Like 4

That's all brilliant you don't need help I have v force fever too and it's something you can enjoy.

I can't wait for the build and stuff the airbrush compressor just use humbrols sprays hu 163,165, 34 and your sorted they are wonderful paints and give a fab finish.

The matchbox art for this is burned on my mind from childhood god I miss the 80s and early 90s

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 2

I might just scan the box and get someone to remove parts from it and fix it up (if their lovely anyway). But yeah I love the artwork...I wish Airfix would go back to that style. It's beautiful .

Yeah I'm getting this set . I know the airbrushes aren't great but they'll be ok for big areas and it's the compressor I needed to get cheap anyway (yay free Amazon vouchers). And I'll grab those paints. Do humbrol do those as pre-mixed for sprays? I've not looked into them (just assumed I'd have to mix them).

I think I'll do all of my V-Bombers in camo. Idk about the Valient...ahhhhhhhhhh decisions!

I've got an Alphajet to do first. Because it was £7.99 and I think they're adorable.

• Like 1

In my view the only thing that should limit how many V-Bombers one has is the space to store them!! I built my Victor in the 55 sqd tanker markings provided but I really like my V-Bombers in white. Beautiful but menacing at the same time, although a conversion job for the Victor. I've got two Valiants in the stash. One is the Mach 2 kit which should be fun - not. Going to do one as a Grapple 49 sqd aircraft and the other in 7 squadron markings. Need more Vulcans and Victors though!

• Like 1

I remember when I first got my Vulcan and I was looking at all the V-Bomber kits. Obviously got a Victor but I recall seeing the Mach 2 Valiant and my dad staunchly told me I wasn't allowed it haha.

Thanks for the picture Don. I'm sure I won' paint over glass though. I'll be too scared!

• Like 1

I remember when I first got my Vulcan and I was looking at all the V-Bomber kits. Obviously got a Victor but I recall seeing the Mach 2 Valiant and my dad staunchly told me I wasn't allowed it haha.

Thanks for the picture Don. I'm sure I won' paint over glass though. I'll be too scared!

Yes, it looks like a pretty tough prospect, but I do try to build everything I buy, even if it's replaced by a better kit. I bought the Mach 2 kit immediately as the I really wanted one more than just about any other aircraft, and it had never been kitted before except the Frog kit (1/96th) which I understand the moulds were lost at sea, believe it or not, and the Welshmodels vacform in 144th. With the new Swift from Airfix and various new Lightnings there is now a great representation of British Cold War types whereas a few years ago there was either nothing or ancient offerings that required much work. Now all we need is a new tool Victor, Venom and Buccaneer and that will pretty much be the full set. Huzzah! (oh yes, and a Canberra B2!!!!!)

• Like 1

You can never have too many V-bombers!!

I'm just putting the finishing touches to a 57 Squadron Matchbox Victor K2, its an awesome kit when built, hopefully post some pics in RFI later in the week!

**** knows where i'm going to put it though :shrug:

Commontsar - Those Matchbox boxes bring back a lot of happy memories! Spent a lot of my childhood building Matchbox stuff and some of those box art pic's are just stunning, the Victor being one of them. I also liked the tanks that came with there own diorama bases!

Can't wait to see some in progress pics of your V-Force!!

Rob - Concur how much the 80's/early 90's are missed, just think back to all of the aircraft types that were in RAF service then! And how good were air shows in the 80's. :(

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

Rob - Concur how much the 80's/early 90's are missed, just think back to all of the aircraft types that were in RAF service then! And how good were air shows in the 80's. :(

Rgds,

Eng

Indeed good times I am happy I seen the tail end of the great turbojets which seem to be on the decline now. It only spurs me on to make more models especially of V-Bombers I am infact building 2 in Work in progress right now. 2 vulcans one is the Dragon 1/200th as XM595 with blue steel, The other and main project the Airfix one in 1/72 as XM597 with free fall bombay. Both will be in the 60s gloss camo with D-type roundels.

XM597 has to be finished in time for Cosford show eek..

Build here for anyone interested.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956570-the-perfect-excuse-to-build-another-vulcan-wicked/

Cheers Rob ;)

I tend to go for cold war aircraft (later end) and modern. Being born in the 90s meant I saw the end of Cold War aircraft into the early 2000s.. My first airshow was 1997 RIAT (the first time it was 'Royal') I think there was a Czech Mig 23/7 there. It is one of the aircraft that I remember the most and I might try and make that aircraft too...Mig 23s are cheap these days so I might well do one with some decals.

I thiink Cold War aircraft are charming because they're a mix of the beautiful, the functional, the powerful, and the experimental (I'm sure there is a A. Rand essay possible here haha).

I got asked today at the store I started going to why I went to the second hand section and spent my time sifting through them for the most part. He asked me if it was the price. I said it was a minor part - as £5 for a second hand kit isn't that cheap compared to £7 for new. It was just the charm of some of the older more exotic kits, and the artwork too.

• Like 3

I tend to go for cold war aircraft (later end) and modern. Being born in the 90s meant I saw the end of Cold War aircraft into the early 2000s.. My first airshow was 1997 RIAT (the first time it was 'Royal') I think there was a Czech Mig 23/7 there. It is one of the aircraft that I remember the most and I might try and make that aircraft too...Mig 23s are cheap these days so I might well do one with some decals.

I thiink Cold War aircraft are charming because they're a mix of the beautiful, the functional, the powerful, and the experimental (I'm sure there is a A. Rand essay possible here haha).

I got asked today at the store I started going to why I went to the second hand section and spent my time sifting through them for the most part. He asked me if it was the price. I said it was a minor part - as £5 for a second hand kit isn't that cheap compared to £7 for new. It was just the charm of some of the older more exotic kits, and the artwork too.

I am the same I love the older kits. Just something about them. My First Airshow was 1992 RAF Wroughton Great Warbirds Airshow featuring the 2nd to last display of the Vulcan which was absolutely terrifying to watch and I loved every second of it. That's what got me hooked on Vulcan's and aviation in general. It also had everything else there I loved including Tornado GR1, Tornado F3, Harrier GR5 and GR7 IIRC, WW1 and WW2 aircraft a plenty including a grand flypast with nearly all the WW2 stuff (stunning) There were kits, sunshine and I can remember it like yesterday I am only sad its not yesterday as nearly all of if no longer flys and If it does its not the same as it used to be everything was FASTER LOUDER and I was younger... I am 30 this year what the hell happened I feel no different crazy... I am still modeling with the same tools I was after that airshow and still using some of the decals too.

Nuts how things change and some stay the same.

Looking forward to the build. Cheers Rob ;)

As soon as I saw this I knew it wouldn't be long until robvulcan made an appearance. I didn't have to scroll down too far! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

LOL yea I'm here lol, hopefully better than having Gaston Marty turn up ! Hahah

I think Gaston's changed his name again. I saw some posts the other day that sounded suspiciously like him, but had a different name attached. Unfortunately I didn't note the attached name.

• Like 1

Gaston is notorious on almost every model board for taking every kit apart for "abominable precision", delivering proof with photos crudely adorned with red lines. Best ignored. Unless you find entertainment in such antics.

• Like 1

So a lovely little troll? Most people don't care about the inaccuracies (om a global market and target market sense). Those who do will fix it and find it a challenge.

Urgh. We all know some kits are awful and some are glorious. But it seems like no one wants this guys opinion...there's a Lily Allen song for him :P

Oh, and if you tell him he's wrong, you're a liar, you don't know what you're talking about and have obviously NEVER seen the kit in question.

IIRC, he also coined the term "fatal flaw..."

• Like 1

Oh, and if you tell him he's wrong, you're a liar, you don't know what you're talking about and have obviously NEVER seen the kit in question.

IIRC, he also coined the term "fatal flaw..."

There is no such thing as a "fatal flaw" for models (just humans). A modelling fatal flaw is translated as "modelling opportunity"

Robin

Oh god whats I started here,, I actually know little of Gaston I come across him when doing the spit for my dad and a post with a load of interesting to read argumentative comments, I heard on another post a few days ago he has even got onto amazon reviews slating kits there, I was curious as to who he is and now I know alot more. Hats off for spotting detail correcting it thats all cool with me, but its also kool with me to just build it and have fun. Nothing wrong with any modeling genre just something wrong with people who think everyone one should be the same as them.

I would love to see his models I assume he must make his own to be such an authority on them.

Cheers Rob ;)

If you're interested, I spent six years working on K.2 Victors with 55 and 57 Sqn at RAF Marham from 1993 to 1999 so am very familiar with the lovely beast.

If you have any questions, or need some guidance please feel free to get in touch.

XL164MarhamAugust1985.jpg

XVTonker :pilot:

• Like 3