Airfix MG K3 Magnette Rebuild

Evening all, just before Christmas one of my colleagues at work said he had some old kits he didn't want and that i was welcome to let my little boy have a go with them as he had "trashed them". I had a look at the little MG and having seen Hendie have a go at his Aston thought I'd try something similar (although not to his detail), so here she is at the start.

DDA9EC88-139E-4D48-B275-FD3466CD8919_zps

Having spent some time in the brake fluid and cleaned up I was left with this

22323552-D776-481B-B821-A93370704973_zps

A little bit of dry fitting of the bodywork showed the radiator would need a little widening but apart from that it all fit fairly well

1EFA5E6F-3300-4707-8300-CC1F1E9C904E_zps

3B4473A6-B7DA-4D49-81AE-9A2273C07CB3_zps

Chassis rebuilt, painted and lightly weathered

C8E660A2-0DA6-49BD-B775-CBFE2E4DA82B_zps

A bit of paint and another dry fit

3D1CAEE7-C87D-42F2-AB41-05D211C60A91_zps

2425ADF8-6D5F-4DCA-967A-D87F55E166F5_zps

front modified, the seats atached and the wheels on for show

21C40409-D6DB-4C65-A5C4-D7A82F279B51_zps

Glazing, Grill, lights and front wheels added

ACD5049A-3AAE-4EAB-8CAC-B63A01A8D576_zps

Exhaust being attached and a peek inside

D8B9BC09-1A37-4E8C-BE46-5AC5EF831C19_zps

Nearly there now, front complete and the rear and spare laid out prior to fixing

7B5F7297-FB40-4EDB-B2D6-22F57B14BD20_zps

And the nearly finished article

C1D17249-A8AB-47D0-9644-E0747141C99A_zps

5E357B98-44BE-41D8-9837-5EC383A5CFB3_zps

Just a little bit of varnish and some slight paint touch ups and she'll be ready for inspection. I am surprisingly chuffed how well its actually turned out and am now kind of keen to have a go at the little Model T I have stashed away for a rainy day. All comments and advice greatly welcomed. i cannot decide whether to fully black in the front grill or just run a soft pencil over it to change the shade as the all over chrome is a little too much however I think black may be a little too much decisions decisions....

thanks for looking

Graham

• Like 3

It was very much like starting a new kit and the colours were chosen to use up two rattle cans and also as they looked quite good on a bike I built last year, did a google search and not that many of these cars in two tone shades (although a few other classic MG's are). Thanks for the comments chaps this has been a lot of fun to clean up and give a second chance to.

Graham

A bit off topic, but there is a new series of car sos starting monday, and I believe they are restoring one of these.

Matt.

Off topic or not, which one of the many tv channels available is that on, before this kit I'd never heard of one of these and would be interested to see the 1:1 scale restoration.

Cheers

Graham

Nice little car. I have this kit in the stores and it's moulded in a maroon colour. Gonna be tough to paint over. Now thinking this little gem needs to be moved up in the queue. Mine is MPC I think, but was done by Airfix first. I built the Airfix Model T several years ago. Turned out very nice.

• Like 1

Nice little car. I have this kit in the stores and it's moulded in a maroon colour. Gonna be tough to paint over. Now thinking this little gem needs to be moved up in the queue. Mine is MPC I think, but was done by Airfix first. I built the Airfix Model T several years ago. Turned out very nice.

Give it a go, went together very well, except that the radiator at the front needed widening on mine to fit flush with the bodywork. If the maroon colour is that bad give the whole thing a coat of grey primer (Halfords or similar) should make it easy to paint then any colour you wish. Have a couple of Group Builds to get on with then the Model T.

Cheers

Graham

Give it a go, went together very well, except that the radiator at the front needed widening on mine to fit flush with the bodywork. If the maroon colour is that bad give the whole thing a coat of grey primer (Halfords or similar) should make it easy to paint then any colour you wish. Have a couple of Group Builds to get on with then the Model T.

Cheers

Graham

Thanks for reply. We do not have a Halford's in the USA. Good results from Dupli-color primers available at any auto parts store like Bumper to Bumper, Autozone and the others. I have problems with red colors bleeding through primers sometimes.