RAF Refuelling Tanker Query- small tank behind cab?

tonyot

Hello Folks,

Sorry if this isn`t in the right place,.....but,..a friend of mine is building an RAF refuelling tanker from WW2 using the Airfix airfield refuelling set and he has a query about the 3 point tanker. He says that there is a horizontal tank mounted behind the cab and he wondered if anybody knows what it was for? Was it for dispensing oil to aircraft using the central boom,....was it an air tank for the pumping system or was it something totally different?

If anybody knows could you please pass on your info as my friend Tom is really scratching his head about this?

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

This looks like the right place to ask the question, the horizontal tank is the Bedford's engine fuel. If you are meaning a round vertically mounted tank that is a filter there should be two. The three booms would all be for fuel it is unlikely they would mix it just in case a mechanic put the wrong fluid in the wrong place.

But as always he could be looking at something completely different than I am referring too.

If you look at the Accurate Armour K48003 that shows the fuel tank behind the cab and K48007 shows the filters and the fuel tank has moved, hope this helps.

Don

The Airfix Bedford only has 2 booms , not 3 . The AVTUR refueller had 3 booms and the centre one of them was indeed for oil . Matador Models do a conversion to make the 3 boom version . This is all academic , however , since any of the Bedfords with booms are post-war . Wartime versions just had hoses , similar to the 6x6 AEC in the Refuelling Set .

Thanks fellas,.....this is well out of my comfort/ interest zone but I shall pass on what you said to Tom.

I think that he is using the Airfix refuelling set to modify one of them into a post war 3 point tanker,....he was adamant that the centre one was for oil and I think he worked on one of these during his RAF National Service?

So horizontal tank= the tankers own fuel tank

Vertical cylindrical tank = filter

Thanks ever so much,

Tony