1/8 C Type Jaguar

You guys are extremely kind with your comments. Many, many thanks.

I've built the main part of the radiator using K&S brass strip and wire mesh.
The brass was covered in ally BMF once the shell was built up.

The first mesh was from the usual auto bodywork repair stuff. It looked ok but the mesh was too coarse so I had to find something far finer.

An 'anti-spit' guard for a frying pan.

£2.99 and a pair of scissors later - new front mesh which looks far more like the real car radiator.

The real rad really is just a plain ally 'box' so it was really easy to replicate.

The photo (irritatingly) makes the mesh look 'crooked' and not vertical/horizontal, which it actually is. I was very careful in this regard.

I think it is a 'moire' effect of the camera that causes small patterns or grids to look peculiar.

I need to make the radiator header tank next, followed by the support struts and then the top hose needs adding.

The bottom hose is in place but it isn't very visible.....

The front brakes are now also connected but I haven't added the hose clips yet.

Roy.

P1010024_zps4610a3cc.jpg

P1010023_zps9d08080b.jpg

P1010025_zps66b8af9b.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

I think it's me that needs to be in a museum.......

I've finished the radiator header tank and fitted it along with the strengthening plates and stays.

The header was made from plasticard and a resin part was cast from it using plasticine as a mould.

After sanding smooth it was sprayed aluminium but was eventually covered in ally BMF as it looked too 'plasticky' in paint.

Once fitted, the bonnet was checked for clearance - all ok there. The side plates were made from flattened Coke can metal and the stays are steel rod fixed to small brass fillets Araldited to the engine frame.

The rad filler cap is actually the end of a small steel screwdriver.

The top hose was also relocated to the correct position on the header tank and the expansion/overflow pipe was added.

Some detail parts next - mirror, fly screen and Aero screen, number plates, GB sticker on the rear, bonnet catches and finally the radiator grille - which I'm still fathoming out.

Getting close to the end now......

Roy.

P1010026_zps3ebf1356.jpg

P1010029_zpsccef2001.jpg

P1010027_zps8fa3808f.jpg

P1010031_zps59fee47a.jpg

P1010032_zps2fbaa720.jpg

P1010033_zps34ba08f1.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

Where the Big C is at, now.

A few details to add but almost there.

The grille is going to be a bit of a mission so it's going to be worked on alongside another build....

I was tempted to get my scratch-build D Type underway but I think I want a bit of a break from having completely make the parts before any building.

Pocher next? - probably.....

Alfa or Aventador..... Not sure yet.

Anyway....

The C Type and friends:

Roy.

P1010035_zpsd1b82046.jpg

P1010036_zps8e58ef70.jpg

P1010037_zps98cd1008.jpg

P1010038_zpsd0351900.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This one hasn't been forgotten......

At last, I have grille.

Made from 15 separate slats and a frame.

Fortunately, all of the slats have the same curvature - just different lengths.
The frame was made from 1/4 or 'quadrant' brass wire, with the thin ally slats just super-glued in place. A rubber mould was taken when it was all settled.
The grille was cast in white metal by a contact I have, who actually normally makes fantasy figures for himself and his local club for war gaming.

Frustratingly, it isn't a perfect fit into the bonnet aperture so a bit of tweaking will be needed there.

I really DON'T want to have to make another!

ALMOST complete now.

Roy.

P1010113_zpsbd0d63e6.jpg

P1010115_zpsef427f67.jpg

No.... The house is actually nowhere near big enough for all these monsters but I just love building them.

The current Aventador really is just about my space maxed out.

I still have a 1/8 D Type, a couple of E Types, a Pocher Merc and an Alfa waiting in the wings.....

Heaven knows where they will go.

In the meantime.....

I've wrapped the grille in cling film, taped it in and filled the gaps at the edges.

Once dry, a bit of sanding, careful touching in of the green paint and hopefully, all will be well.

Otherwise, it's remove all the light fittings, sand it, respray the entire bonnet, new decals....... fingers crossed....

Roy.

P1010144_zps8c236117.jpg

By no means forgotten, although you guys might have forgotten it by now.......

The front end is just about re-shaped and repainted, and the grille is fitted.

Really on the home-stretch now with this one.

The bonnet is just 'in place' in the pictures, and not actually fitted tight.

A bit of tweaking to go.

Roy.

P1010047_zps94142741.jpg

P1010048_zpsf3a4261a.jpg

P1010049_zpscc133297.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...