1/8 C Type Jaguar

OK.... I'm back again with a bit of restored mojo.

I decided I want to tackle something a bit more difficult to tackle my miniscule brain.......

Where do I start?

I've previously mentioned plans to build a D Type Jaguar but that will be 'next' after this one.

I'm lucky enough to have a friend who works in the upper echelons of the model car business and with his assistance I've got to a stage where I can show you where I'm currently at.

The C Type will be the '53 Le Mans winner, with full chassis, engine and interior detail.

I've never attempted 'scratching' anything like this before so it will be a steep 'learning curve'.

I've got the body shell to a stage of filing, sanding, smoothing, sorting etc - and when it's looking better, I'll post more.

It's made from Kevlar, cast in a Silicon mould from a solid wood buck.

Sorry, but no pics of those stages.

Here's hoping.....

Roy.

P1010010_zpsfaec3c30.jpg

P1010007_zpsc34b4024.jpg

P1010009_zpsf9784209.jpg

P1010011_zps258cd171.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 2

Looking forward to this one Roy, although I am awaiting a 1/8 garage scratch built for you to store them all in!

PS - LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO,LAMBO!

:P

• Like 1

I knew it! I told you, here is , welcome back Roy! Seems like only last week doesn't it? I'll look forward to watching this one!

Many thanks you guys.

In retrospect, I think I realise now that it wasn't so much 'lost mojo', as wanting something a bit more taxing to do.

No doubt I'll be building my placcy kits as usual, but perhaps interspersed with work on the 'big C'.

I have no idea how the 'C' will turn out - as I mentioned, I've never built anything like this before as it isn't in any way a 'kit'.

It will be scratch built, although I'll be using the basics from a Revell E Type engine.

If I'm not sure what to do, I'll be asking questions.

Hopefully you folks will have the answers.

Roy.

Filing out the louvre holes, sanding, filling, more sanding etc has taken numerous hours and in the end I looked like a snowman!

The louvres were cast in resin and also needed umpteen minute pin holes filling using Superglue and/or filler.

They were Araldited in place and then more filler was used - more sanding... blah blah blah.....

After a rough clean up with 400 wet and dry, the bonnet has now received a first primer coat.

This is to show up imperfections for more filling and sanding.......

All good fun though and hopefully I'll make a start cleaning up and preparing the body tub today.

Roy.

P1010012_zpsbadd9c38.jpg

P1010013_zps5d754280.jpg

P1010014_zps70a6e7bb.jpg

• Like 1

I've made a start on the main body.

There's quite a bit of filling, cutting and sanding etc, particularly to get the bonnet to fit neatly.

The coat of primer is to highlight where attention is needed on the outer surface.

The wheel arches were smoothed using a piece of plastic guttering with 80 grade wrapped around it.

Simple, but effective.

The next 'proper' task will be the floor and firewall, as well as making up a rear bulkhead.

The floor won't actually be fitted until much later as there is lots to do on the interior and rear axle etc.....

Roy.

P1010029_zpsc247c7ce.jpg

P1010030_zpsa7503f04.jpg

P1010031_zps0a85b1d8.jpg

• Like 1

I’m up to the stage of prepping the body for paint but there seems to be quite a bit to do that I hadn’t really thought about, particularly as this is a ‘make-it-up-as-you-go-along’ build.
This is the first time I’ve ever done anything like this and as there are no instructions to follow, it’s a bit like two steps forward and one step back.

The main shell is looking fairly good now and I’m starting to think ‘interior’.
However, to do that, the car needs a floor.
But to do that, it needs a rear bulkhead and front firewall.
And to do that, I have to consider the space frame going in.
But to do that, I need the floor…….

And so it goes on.

I’ve decided to make a basic floor first so that I have something to work with.

The body sills were ground right down and the underneath lip was cut off as it wasn’t particularly flat.
I made up two plat panels from Carbon Fibre strip (from E-bay) and these have been Araldited in place on the lower sill edge under the car, and filler used to blend them in smoothly.
I’m going to use the strips to hold the floor panel which I intend screwing in place.

Once I have a floor panel, I can then start adding some of the framework – at least the lower part – before adding a bulkhead and firewall.
The firewall and bulkhead will be fixed inside the body, and the floor will be further screwed to them for rigidity of the whole structure.
It’s quite surprising how building something like this makes you think ‘out of the box’. (No pun intended)
You really do have to think 3 or 4 (or even more) steps ahead before actually doing anything.
I certainly don’t want to build something and then later on, say ‘Oh drat’ (or similar…) because I need to remove it all to fit something else.

The underfloor was cut from a thick sheet of Plasticard.
Measurements were taken from a plan of the actual car, using reference photo’s of the underside.
This piece will pull the car body into alignment and it must also fit where the engine space frame will go later on. Eventually it will be covered in Aluminium BMF.

Roy.

P1010032_zpsa636490b.jpg

P1010033_zps6ea7db0d.jpg

P1010034_zps753ecc52.jpg

P1010035_zps48dc0391.jpg

P1010036_zpsa97a0c0b.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

Hello Roy,

this is literarily going to be a "great" project and I will watch it closely. It's a pity, that Autograph's C-Type stalled, after the engine is completed.

Cheers

Michael

Beautiful work , I stand in awe of all those , such as you who can scratch build such brilliant models from essentially nothing

Its a great subject as well, I has a soft spot for the C type, partly from my experenc being around an almost real one some years ago, An acquaintance of mine build a C type replica using a Lynx Replica kit, (around £20000 or so) it was based on Jag Mk 10 running gear , he much such a good job of it , that an an old employee of Eurie Ecosse was convinced this replica was a real C type since is was finished in the correct team racing colours.

So please Roy , royal blue and white stripes when you come to paint the beast!

Many thanks for the kind words all you chaps but it will be Jaguar BRG, not Ecurie blue.

The Ecurie car was a slightly different shape, different details and features and I'm following plans of the number 18 car.

Rolt/Hamilton '53 Le Mans winner.

I do love the blue/white colours though, and the next one after this is going to be a D Type.

THAT one might be blue.....

Roy.

So.... A bit more done.

With a floor tentatively in place it was time to look at the front firewall.

First, a bonnet lip was cut from ¼ inch Evergreen strip, curved to shape and then glued in under the leading edge of the body tub.
Next, a card template was cut out and trimmed until it was a good fit as a firewall.

The template was transferred to substantial Plasticard and cut out. After some tweaking and fiddling it was a nice tight fit that also pulled all the leading edge of the body into symmetry as I had taken care to make sure the left and right sides of the firewall were exactly the same shape.
This had a hefty strengthening rib bonded to the rear side and then the firewall was fixed in place with Araldite.

Lower firewall side panels were then made up and fixed in place. Once all this was done and dry, the strengthening ribs were added to the front face of the firewall. Now the floor could be removed for work to begin on the interior.

However….. My 'C Type expert' friend kindly provided me with copies of the original Jaguar plans for the car and further photographic research proved my firewall to be wrong!
At first, I thought it wouldn’t really notice once the engine etc was in place, and who would know anyway…

Me, that’s who.

The firewall outer braces were carefully cut off and the correct dimensions of the inner transmission aperture were marked out with thin masking tape. Then, out came the Dremel.
It was actually an easy alteration and now that it’s sorted, I’m glad I did it.
It would have forever bugged me if I had left it incorrect.
Also, this time around I used the correct dimension Evergreen strip and square section to replicate the strengthening ribs far more accurately, and correctly.
All eventually given a coat of primer.

Roy

P1010037_zpsb29d8793.jpg

P1010038_zps6543200a.jpg

P1010041_zpsff906387.jpg

P1010042_zpsbb57d95b.jpg

OK.... But it's WRONG!!!!!

P1010040_zps3ac48a2e.jpg

P1010043_zpsf5b21263.jpg

Out with the Dremel.....

P1010044_zps952a546f.jpg

Much better.......

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

I've been working away on the Big C a bit more....
Really enjoyable. Mojo all back again.

The next stage was to start on the interior.

A basic tub shape was made in fibreglass from a simple wooden buck. The interior details would be added using Evergreen tubing, plasticard and wire.
Once the tub had been cleaned up and checked for fit inside the body, the interior frame and panelling were made, following 1/8 plans of the real car as well as copious photo’s of the number 18 car. These parts were fixed inside the tub using Araldite.

The transmission tunnel was cast in resin from a wood mould, covered in strands of cotton and strips of wire to replicate the heat shield texturing of the real car. Detail panels were added from thin aluminium.

The interior was painted in a mix of aluminium and chrome silver, once again to replicate the car.
The various door skin panels etc were deliberately fitted ‘not smooth and perfect’. Looking at pictures of the actual cars shows how the interior panelling and bodywork was fitted very much ‘by hand’ and in places, even looks as if the aluminium panels were hammered and bent into shape, in situ.
The door pull was made from thin black wire and the spark plugs are made from tiny nuts, white plastic tube, thin ally tube and a dressmaker’s pin through the centre.
I’m tempted to make tiny ‘Champion’ decals to wrap around them.
The spanner resting on the driver’s door step was found in a box of rubbish so I added it for a bit of fun.
It’s even the correct size for the plugs!

The seat was made from strips of thick plasticard and wood, covered in leather and piped with wire.
The complete seat was sprayed in a mix of matt light green and Tamiya smoke, to represent the ‘aged’ look.
I must admit to being very pleased with the completed seat.

Whilst these parts were all drying, I turned to giving the body a first coat of green paint.
The actual 1953 Jaguar dark BRG colour was mixed by Halfords and after a good wet sanding of the primer, a wash and dry, three light coats were applied, wet sanded and one ‘flood’ coat finally added. The paintwork took 3 days.

Once fully dry – at least a week – I’ll give the body a good polish and see how it looks.

In the final pic, the green looks quite light - it's the Sun on it doing that. The colour is actually very dark as per the first two 'paint' pictures.
The real cars were never ‘toffee apple’ gloss but depending on how it looks, I might (or not) give it a coat of 2K clear.
Then the interior tub can then be fitted, and attention will turn to fiddly bit.
The front chassis frame and engine…….

Roy.

P1010050_zps03a91425.jpg

P1010047_zps05bc756f.jpg

P1010055_zps856c2558.jpg

P1010058_zps3bce7b6f.jpg

P1010059_zps25126911.jpg

P1010053_zps5052bf56.jpg

P1010052_zps63d83934.jpg

P1010056_zps0bba4568.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

It has come together surprisingly quick and you've got to love the look of an old british sports car

Many thanks.

Mind you, bear in mind I'm now an 'old retire-ee' - so I have to make a concerted effort NOT to spend anywhere from 6-10 hours per day on my building.....

Also, I have the help of my Jaguar - genius friend who is always at the end of the 'phone or email.

I really do have to try to limit myself as I don't want the car to be completed too quickly, and I don't want get tired of working on it.

Trouble is, building something that isn't a 'kit' is just so much blinkin' fun!

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack