A-12 to SR-71 Titanium Quintuplets WIP.

These are absolutely some of the best looking things I have seen. They just truly are drool worthy.. I always loved the Blackbird but Never really seen much of the silver ones and I think it really accentuates the gorgeous lines of this amazing aircraft. Just stunning.

Been after making one for ages now. after seeing this I am gonna have to have ago.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

These are absolutely some of the best looking things I have seen. They just truly are drool worthy.. I always loved the Blackbird but Never really seen much of the silver ones and I think it really accentuates the gorgeous lines of this amazing aircraft. Just stunning.

Been after making one for ages now. after seeing this I am gonna have to have ago.

Cheers Rob :)

Go for it Rob, the 1/48 ones are the way to go but getting the resin nose conversions in that scale is nigh imposible now, however there are plenty in 1/72 which may suit alot of modellers out there.

These are a few images of the real A/C and the effect i am trying to capture just in case you did not see them earlier in the build.

m2101ej9.jpeg

yf12_94.jpeg

attachment.jpeg

8452902168_601fb39e07_z-1.jpeg

blog-a12-img_2031_edited-1.jpg

A12Cygnus-1.jpeg

Thanks for looking

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic

Amazing. No other word for it.

Thanks, i will be sad to let them go but i am really enjoying it all the same, SR-71 to do next and then some finishing touches and the 4 will be complete, another couple of weeks so a few more updates to come.

Thanks for Looking.

Danny

Another busy day, mainly getting the landing gear started, managed to get the Camera Pods and stabiliser fins fitted to the YF-12A.

102_7569.jpg

102_7568.jpg

102_7570.jpg

Thanks for Looking

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 2

All landing gear for the 4 airframes completed today along with the bay doors, I have used the etch set on some of the bay doors where practical, I have also scratched up a additional light for the front landing strut as there should be two. They are all much the same so i have just pictured 1 set.

The rear tyres are meant to be silver as the are made with a 20+ply Aluminium Oxide construction to disperse heat.

102_7579.jpg

102_7578.jpg

102_7577.jpg

• Like 2

Danimalmagic that is looking stunning. I also notice you have Optimus Prime as your avatar pic.

I am a fellow Transformers fan, In a BIG way. Till All Are One dude. :)

• Like 1

Danimalmagic that is looking stunning. I also notice you have Optimus Prime as your avatar pic.

I am a fellow Transformers fan, In a BIG way. Till All Are One dude. :)

Cheers Rob, might be building another 2 yet.

Thanks for looking.

Dan

• Like 1

Just discoverd this thread. I am amazed at your work!

Fantastic job in every respect. Can't wait to see them all finished.

I have a YF-12 started since a long time ago. When I finally get to finish it what you've done will surely serve as inspiration. :analintruder:

Congratulations and all the best!

Jorge.

• Like 1

Just discoverd this thread. I am amazed at your work!

Fantastic job in every respect. Can't wait to see them all finished.

I have a YF-12 started since a long time ago. When I finally get to finish it what you've done will surely serve as inspiration. :analintruder:

Congratulations and all the best!

Jorge.

Thanks for looking Jorge, looks like i have another 2 to build.

Dan

Amazing! I especially love the the panel variations, fantastic build thread! Can't believe I only just found this.

Thanks Justin, its been quite a task to do the masking but well worth it.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

The main aim for this week was to get a good start on the SR-71 and get the undercarraiges assembled on all four aircraft, always have a goal. happy.gif
All the wheels and doors have been done, I have made a second landing light for the front U/C as there is not one in the kit.

Initial panel shades, I knew this would be a little bold but the plan was that by the time I had weathered and added a filter it would balance out, well that was the plan. happy.gif
102_7613.jpg
Initial Matt Black Filter, dry brushing and weathering, the panels have blended but not enough.
102_7614.jpg
102_7615.jpg
I was not being brave enough so I applied a further filter of Matt Black to blend the colours a little more. Much Better i think.happy.gif
102_7627.jpg
102_7628.jpg
Some further weathering, just dry brushing using various shades of yellow, white and sand from the Tamiya weathering set and sealed with Tamiya Matt Clear.
On the various seems especially on the underside there is a yellow sandy residue, this I think is a mixture of fuel and dust, see picture below. I have tried to duplicate this effect, the photos as usual take the edge of a bit but I think it has turned out well. There is more to do but that will happen after the decals have been added, these will need to be dirtied up a little in line with the rest of the A/C.
102_7630.jpg
102_7634.jpg
102_7642.jpg
Actual airframe.
interchangeable20nose20section.jpg
While all this has been going on I have assembled the landing gear to the four airframes.

SR-71
102_7637.jpg
A-12
102_7644.jpg
YF-12A
102_7645.jpg
M-21
102_7648.jpg
All four undersides essentially complete apart from specific decals, i think the SR-71 shows up a bit better here.happy.gif
102_7651.jpg

Well I have to say I am really pleased with how they are looking and I think I will be finished by next weekend, just the decals, canopies and some minor touches left to do.

With any luck the next report will be the final one of the complete airframes, yipee happy.gif

I would just like to sat a big thanks to Steven Flowers, he has helped me out before with specific questions and images for the Blackbird family. He kindly sent me a little surprise across the pond and i was very pleased to get it. A nice RBF tag for the Blackbird from the Blackbird Museum in Palmdale CA.
I have added to my display cabinet along side my 1/48 A-12 and YF-12A.

Cheers mate you are a star.happy.gif
102_7652.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Regards

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 5

Great job. Differentiation of panels looks very good. It is big pleasure to watch this VIP.

I was about to say i will be done by next weekend but the job has got a bit larger, A-12 trainer the Titanium Goose and the SR-71B to do next for the same guy. :-)

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Well a bit more done today, with the Drone astride the top of the M-21. I will crack on with the remaining decals for the YF-12, M-21 and SR-71 tomorrow. These will be done by next weekend.

Shortly after that I will be starting the next two birds for the same client, the A-12 trainer aka Titanium Goose and the SR-71B. The Titanium Goose is going to be a real challenge as the second cockpit is very much different to the SR-71B as it is more of a lump and bulges each side, it will need to be scratch built.

Titanium Goose is a two seat A-12 trainer, a one of a kind, note the bulges on the second cockpit.

blog-a12-img_2031_edited-1.jpg

Very near completion now.

102_7662.jpg

102_7651.jpg

Thanks for looking

Danny

• Like 6