HMS Invincible references please

Pappy

G'day people,

I am looking for some reference pics of the Invincible in her Falklands fit. I have the 1/700 kit in the Falklands boxing and I have my doubts about the painting diagram for the deck markings. I plan to use the WEM PE set which provides options for different ships of the class ans well as different time periods.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some on-line references?

I don't intend to buy a book for a 1/700 kit,

cheers,

Pappy

As the Wafus love their taxis there are no end of photos available on line.

Just tried a simple google search string 'HMS Invincible 1982' flicked to images view and a plethora of piccys popped up. Some quite useful ones from above the FD so should help with your spot marking query.

Should tide you over but I would imagine that there may be some more detailed phots available if any of our resident posters have served on her.

Hi Pappy,

these should help you with what you need. Which kit are you using?

Mike

hms_invincible_1981_-_LPH_trials_%5B40%2

Ignore the helo landing spots in the drawing below as they were changed before the Falklands War. Use the photo above for positioning

hms_invincible_-_first_commission_layout

As the Wafus love their taxis there are no end of photos available on line.

Just tried a simple google search string 'HMS Invincible 1982' flicked to images view and a plethora of piccys popped up. Some quite useful ones from above the FD so should help with your spot marking query.

Should tide you over but I would imagine that there may be some more detailed phots available if any of our resident posters have served on her.

G'day SGeek,

Thanks, I followed your advice but although there are plenty of pics, many are grainy and of poor quality or taken from too great a distance of from an angle which makes them of limited use.

Hi Pappy,

these should help you with what you need. Which kit are you using?

Mike

hms_invincible_1981_-_LPH_trials_%5B40%2

Ignore the helo landing spots in the drawing below as they were changed before the Falklands War. Use the photo above for positioning

hms_invincible_-_first_commission_layout

Result!

Cheers Mike. Can you tell me if the black upper mast area (between the funnels) was over painted in grey during the deployment? I am using the Dragon 1/700 kit (Falklands boxing) ,

cheers,

Pappy

Can you tell me if the black upper mast area (between the funnels) was over painted in grey during the deployment? I am using the Dragon 1/700 kit (Falklands boxing) ,

Hi Pappy,

yes, I believe the mast was repainted grey all over. I saw some images on-line, taken from HMS Yarmouth, which showed her as all grey.

Mike

That's true, so your build will need to reflect when in the conflict your model depicts. On the way down was grey and black mast; and then progressively, the deterioration/weathering mentioned.

Mike

That's true, so your build will need to reflect when in the conflict your model depicts. On the way down was grey and black mast; and then progressively, the deterioration/weathering mentioned.

Mike

G'day Mike et al,

I want a weatherbeaten ship, so a flaky grey black it is!

Hi Pappy,

I've just checked some photos and found a couple - one a few months before the Falklands and the other I believe to be on the way back.

The second image below shows the weathering to the masts and funnels. Note that the flight deck vehicles remained yellow throughout that period.

Another view of Invincible (top), being relieved on station by Illustrious, from a side view is HERE

HTH

Mike

HMS Invincible a few months before deploying to the Falklands

HMS%20Invincible%201981%20%5B40%20Cdo%5D

HMS Invincible homeward bound

HMS%20Invincible%201982_resized.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

G'day Mike,

Fantastic stuff and thank you once again, that is exactly what I needed.

I have also purchased the Dragon 1/700 Sheffield kit. Could someone please advise suitable colours for the deck and superstrutcures?

I would prefer Gunze/Tamiya colours as getting the WEM colourcoats is time consuming and a little spotty,

cheers,

Pappy