Honda RC166 with all 'Detail Up' parts (Tamiya 1:12)

Hi,

I recently purchased the above and have been given the cash back for my birthday. Whilst I've also received another kit (and am completing a current build) I really want to build the RC166 next. If there's enough interest I thought I'd turn it into another build thread. It looks an awesome challenge and the 'Detail Up' parts look superb (if not rather daunting) Hence, here's what I have as starters.

IMG_2680_zps82932a19.jpg

Edited by wimbledon99
  • Like 1

It would indeed be interesting to see this in WIP. It's a great looking kit, I have it in my stash, but only planned an OOB without the add on parts (I know I'm not good at that...). A friend of mine got all the extras as well and they do look fantastic in the bags.

Nice to see the kit, the bike in question is one of my all time favourites, it looks great and there is no mistaking the fantastic sound it makes.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi,

Waiting to see WIP. Thanks for sharing the video, so much power to handle with those large drum brakes. What if it was tested on the Bonneville salt flats. The movie " World's fastest Indian".

Please start!

I have made a start on this kit (without the add-on parts) and you may inspire me to get mine completed!*

I have really enjoyed what I've done so far, and am really keen to see how the wheels look.

If it's any help, you can see how far I got here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234950346-tamiya-112-honda-rc166/

* Birth of twins (premature) has taken up a lot of my time recently, going to hospital every day, plus renovating the house. I think some "me" time is needed!

Edited by injidup
  • Like 1

Ahhh,

now that's a proper sounding bike!

So yes I'll be following this one closely.

Regards

Reggie

Ahhhh the Japanese National Anthem !!!!! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Thanks for the link indidup and congratulations on the twins :cheers:

I'm looking to complete the Jag in the next couple of weeks then I'll start the RC166. Nothing like a bit of pressure!! :blush:

OK - I've caved in on holding out. Thought I would start the RC166 in-between the Jag bodywork drying etc. Hence, here's the first sprue, sprue E. E for engine? Not sure that's how it was designed but that's how it works out. Off to wash in detergent then the build is under starters orders :)

IMG_3057_zps4e6fc473.jpg

The Jag is now complete so it's head first into the RC166 :)

The Tamiya acrylics I ordered in the week arrived yesterday and I've just ordered a new airbrush. I've been using a cheapo from China for a few months but it's time to upgrade. I'm hoping the new one will do this build a little more justice.

Edited by wimbledon99

Hi

I have built it with all the add-ons. You can see a picture of it here:

http://www.ipms.dk/DM2013/Pics/I/I%20P07%20I%2011.JPG

The chain is well thought out. Just make sure that you follow the instructions very closely. It WILL work when done properly, But it will be very fragile so don't expect to 'race' it on the carpet! ;-)

The wheels are works of art and previous experience with lacing up bicycle wheels came in hand. Again - make sure you follow the excellent instructions and make sure which side of the wheel you are working on. Alternatively mark the right side with a marker so you don't get confused.

It is a lovely kit and I loved every minute of making it.

Best regards

Flemming

• Like 3

Stage 1 complete. I have to say the detail in this kit straight out of the box is impressive. I've not even looked opened the DP parts yet! I believe this is going to prove to be the challenge I hoped it would be :)

IMG_3432_zps80ef5687.jpg

IMG_3435_zps5fef66c1.jpg

IMG_3437_zps7e8cb6cf.jpg

IMG_3430_zpseb12198a.jpg

• Like 1