How to make a 777 disappear--?

NavDoc

Break it. If it has a massive structural failure at altitude there won't be anything much larger than a dinner plate left to fall into the ocean. Even if it has a smaller failure, the end result will be pieces of ariplane on the bottom . Or arrange for the flight crew to suffer the same kind of loss of situational awareness the Air France 447 crew did and let the airplane fly itself into the ocean. There is a depressingly large number of ways for an airliner to disappear and that's not counting terrorism, which in this case has apparently been ruled out.

The ocean is a very large place and to the untrained eye, never varies in its exterior. It is so easy to miss something floating on the surface; you can be within 100 feet of it and the timing of the swells, the glare of the sun or the sheer monotany of searching an expanse that doesn't seem to change will let you miss the very thing you should have seen. And, once they have slipped below the surface, the actual items can end up hundreds or even thousands of miles on the bottom of the sea from where they floated on the surface. Take what Jessica said above about the size of pieces you are looking for and the needle in the haystack will be easier to find.

thoughtful ideas. I was thinking that there should be a fair number of items that would float,-- but these could be very hard to spot, as you said. The instantaneous aspect of it seems so strange - with so many systems backing each other up, and they say the 777 is about the best there is for safety backups - that some kind of signal didn't get out? Someone said that radar and communications are not as complete and sophisticated in that part of the world------

You'll get much bigger pieces than dinner plates. Lockerbie, Air India 747 exploding over Atlantic 1985, BOAC 707-436 'PFE over Mt Fuji '65, JAT DC-9 1972, Comet 1s and countless others All had massive explosions through either structural failure or bombs and there were sizeable bits, the fin always "gets away" ,more or less, in one piece.

All seems VERY odd to me! I thought that a 'Black Box' is indestructible & releases a "beacon" for 30 days? A plane cannot simply "disappear" with ALL the modern gizmology we have at our fingertips! Seats float with all that foam inside them,,,,very odd!!

ATB

No expert but seeing as it suddenly drifted of course, Failed to respond and so suddenly vanished. Perhaps a massive explosion or other accident. Its a huge plane to go so quick.

pretty weird.

Condolences to anyone involved. Terrible thing to happen.

Edited by robvulcan

You'll get much bigger pieces than dinner plates. Lockerbie, Air India 747 exploding over Atlantic 1985, BOAC 707-436 'PFE over Mt Fuji '65, JAT DC-9 1972, Comet 1s and countless others All had massive explosions through either structural failure or bombs and there were sizeable bits, the fin always "gets away" ,more or less, in one piece.

I was exaggerating a little. The point I was making (badly) was that even the largest pieces of an airliner are minuscule compared to the size of the ocean, and most of them don't float.

• Like 1

Oil rig workers say they saw a burning object fall into the sea and the Chinese government says its satellite has detected wreckage. Both reports are on the plane's fight path

The Maylay government has discounted theses sightings even both are in the original search area

When the air india flight 182 went down over the Irish sea/atlantic in 1985, debris was scattered everywhere over the ocean.They spent months picking up all manor of things, and a bits came ashore in many places along the coastline. For an airliner to completely disappear is very strange indeed?

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun
  • Like 1

I cant remember the exact details but a trans Atlantic race boat hit some of the wreckage of the Air India 747

Shaun is thinking along the lines that struck me- seems like every air disaster over water leaves lots of parts floating, often over a wide area-should eventually be sighted- but georgeusa has a good point about that. If intentially dived into the water wouldn't it break up and some parts might come to the surface? Grisly thoughts, but it is just so hard to imagine a disappearance without a trace-- today's news suggests maybe some clues are coming.

It seems the US have said that a signal was tracked for several hours going over the Indian Ocean, opposite direction toearly reports. Please correct me if I am wrong but are aircraft tracked and if any deviation occurs this is flagged up? To fly for several hours off coarse unchallenged seems odd but I do feel for the families and friends wating for news, they need something difinative to focus on.

Could it be something to do with that battery they've had trouble with?

Battery? There was battery issues with the 787. Is there another related problem with the triple?

I cant remember the exact details but a trans Atlantic race boat hit some of the wreckage of the Air India 747

Virgin Challenger... One of Branson's boats hit something when approaching the coast of Ireland. They put it down to being a part of the Air India wreckage.

This case gets weirder and weirder by the hour. There are so many contradictory reports flying around. It's the "fog of journalism" I guess.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. And please get the cameras off of families who are grieving!

• Like 4

I know this is a heartbreaking situation, but I am amazed at how Instantaneous our culture has become. The area in which the search should be conducted has not even been clearly defined. History has shown how easily it is to not be able to find things in the vast expanse of the ocean. Think of how many times searches on all sides of WWII were conducted looking for entire fleets, having a general idea of where they should be, and not being able to locate them. Hopefully, the crash site will be located. But, given the total area that needs to be searched and the resources dedicated to it, luck more than anything else, will be the main player in the crash site discovery.

• Like 2

I came across this link. It's a fairly comprehensive take-down of why it's so bloody hard to find a downed plane.

https://aattp.org/exclusive-a-former-naval-officer-savagely-debunks-the-conspiracies-surrounding-malaysia-airlines-flight-370/

I particularly like and agree with his point about the ocean being a friggin' HUGE place to look for tiny bits of plane when you don't even know where to look. He also has a few interesting points about fuel and radio signals. Even if the Black Box survived, if it's under a few miles of water, without that refrigerator-sized radio and a mile of antenna, that signal is simply not going to be found.

• Like 1

The Malaysian PM is now claiming the disappearence is a deliberate act, and that the aircraft systems were switched off.

"Mr Razak told a news conference that new satellite evidence shows "with a high degree of certainty" that the aircraft's communications systems were disabled and then it changed course, flying back over Malaysia towards India.

Satellite signals continued to be picked up from the plane some seven hours after it lost radar contact.

Mr Razak said the authorities were now trying to trace the plane across two possible corridors

from the border of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan through to northern Thailand

south from Indonesia to the southern Indian Ocean."

i was thinking earlier, and in light of the news reports saying that systems were deliberatly turned off, where would you want to take a plane. where is there sufficient secrecey, a tinpot despot, and has a history for over the top self promotion. I'm thinking north Korea.

jeff