Airfix 1/72 Lightning canopies

Duncan B

I don't know but it would be better if they could engineer to tool to just have one gate for the canopy. Like I said, good design of the tooling is key to this. It must be said that Airfix are not alone in making their transparency tooling with multiple gates.

Odd...

I had exactly the same problem, but on my kit it was definitely discernible as a raised line (try running a fingernail gently and carefully over it...), and my iffy attempts at polishing, while not exactly curing the flaw, did make it a good deal less noticeable.

Do/did Aeroclub or similar do a vacform Lightning canopy? Might be worth investigating if (silly me, I mean "when") I build the F.6

Mine has a very slight flaw on the top front corner of the main canopy, port side. I won't bother with getting a replacement as it's small enough not to bug me. Despite this, I am impressed by how crystal clear it is!

• 1 month later...

I'm still waiting on replacements from Airfix. They E mailed me some time ago to say they didn't have any spares which I thought was a bit odd but yesterday I received another E mail from them which has me a little concerned, see below. I hope that I am reading too much into their mail as it doesn't sound promising to me.

"Dear Sir

We have just received a new shipment of clear parts in.

We have been told its the best they can do.

The 2 clear sets have been packed.

They will be sent tomorrow.

Thank you

Regards

Airfix spares."

"We have been told it is the best they can do"? Sounds like they have not been able to eliminate the cold shut issues so I hope someone is going to come up with a replacement or we will be seeing a lot of model Lightnings with covers over the canopies.

Duncan B

I'm still waiting on replacements from Airfix. They E mailed me some time ago to say they didn't have any spares which I thought was a bit odd but yesterday I received another E mail from them which has me a little concerned, see below. I hope that I am reading too much into their mail as it doesn't sound promising to me.

"Dear Sir

We have just received a new shipment of clear parts in.

We have been told its the best they can do.

The 2 clear sets have been packed.

They will be sent tomorrow.

Thank you

Regards

Airfix spares."

"We have been told it is the best they can do"? Sounds like they have not been able to eliminate the cold shut issues so I hope someone is going to come up with a replacement or we will be seeing a lot of model Lightnings with covers over the canopies.

Duncan B

Yes a little concerning, but since some people have got canopies that are fine then if these come and they have the defect, then it's clearly not the best they can do!

If airfix can't figure out how to fix this then I can't see me buying anymore of there kits, unless I can open the box and check the clear parts first.

I got an email about four days ago say that they were stil awaiting stock and I also sent them emails about the same problem in my Lancaster and Spit Mk.XII and XIX kits.

Thanks My canopy (here in the States) bought from a Local Hobby shop has the same flaw.

I just contacted Airfix. Lets see what they do about it?

Steve,

A replacement canopy arrived today.

Unfortunately it is worse than the original.

The flaw is very obvious on the port side of the windscreen.

It is even bigger than before on the canopy and it also has 'crazing' on top which spreads to both side panels.

I have e-mailed Hornby with this info especially as I also got the 'best they can do' e-mail.

RG

It is even bigger than before on the canopy and it also has 'crazing' on top which spreads to both side panels.

I have e-mailed Hornby with this info especially as I also got the 'best they can do' e-mail.

RG

So basically, it's not the best they can do - they just produced another batch without even inspecting them. Very poor.

• Like 1

RG

My replacements were noticeably worse than the originals too. This does not bode well for the F6 release due shortly.

So basically, it's not the best they can do - they just produced another batch without even inspecting them. Very poor.

I didn't buy into "the best they can do" quote when I read it as others have stated earlier in this thread that their canopies are blemish free so either they have really bad eyesight or Airfix have been able to produce some without any issues. None of the reviews I've read have mentioned bad canopies either.

I'll take some photos today of the replacement parts and post them here to prove I'm not just being too fussy.

Duncan B

As promised here are some photos of the two sets of replacement parts received from Airfix. Both parts of both sets have the blemishes and to add insult to injury one of the forward parts also has some other marks on the front panel! I really don't want to sound like I'm bashing Airfix as I really like the kit but if they have any ambitions of being taken as seriously as Hasegawa or Tamiya then they need to make sure that Quality Control is better than this.

IMG_1457_zps6077b2f7.jpg

IMG_1458_zps5b00dd7e.jpg

IMG_1460_zpsa4f613b8.jpg

IMG_1461_zps7ba8d244.jpg

Duncan B

My replacements were noticeably worse than the originals too. This does not bode well for the F6 release due shortly.

I didn't buy into "the best they can do" quote when I read it as others have stated earlier in this thread that their canopies are blemish free so either they have really bad eyesight or Airfix have been able to produce some without any issues. None of the reviews I've read have mentioned bad canopies either.

I'll take some photos today of the replacement parts and post them here to prove I'm not just being too fussy.

Duncan B

I haven't seen the flawed canopies mentioned in reviews either, but I think that's because people just think it's a scratch that will polish out.

This is the shot from the Hyperscale review of the kit, where the reviewer just says it is nice and clear, but you can clearly see the fault in the left side of the canopy and the left side of the windscreen, near the front. I just think a lot of people who haven't built the kit yet are unaware of it, just like I was till I checked all my Airfix kits.

airfix04054reviewmd_6.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

It is more than likely that lots of people who bought the kit but haven't made it yet are totally unaware that they have a problem.

That photo from Hyperscale is interesting, how can the reviewer not have seen that?

Duncan B

So I have just got my replacement Lightning canopies and you will not believe what they are like.

Not only are all the flow lines still there, but now there are wavy lines coming away from these and on the left side of main canopy near the front, where the tight curve is, the plastic hasn't met at all and there is a hole right through the canopy!

There is obviously no quality control going on here at all - it looks like the machine has been operated by some who has know idea what they are doing and the parts are not even checked afterwards. I don't know what country Airfix parts are molded in, but it also amazes me that Airfix are receiving these in this country and just sending them out without even checking them.

So now I have four Airfix kits which are unbuildable as they are. I can get vac canopy for the PR.XIX and probably the Mk.XII but I really don't fancy using a vac on the Lancaster. I was looking forward to the rest of the Airfix Lightnings, the C-47, Do17 and Spitfire Mk.V but now I don't think I will be buying any of these unless Airfix can show that they have sorted this problem out.

AC95511AE1C34A0D87A5D7B91AC54634.jpg

CC21FFEFCEFF4BC49417DAEC3214D457.jpg

Duncan B

What planet are you guys on, try reading the side of the box where it clearly states "Made in India", Airfix DON'T have their own production facilities, its contracted out to an Indian or Chinese company to produce. QC will be done in the factory looking for short shots, deformed or missing parts. The kits are shipped back to the UK in their sealed bags to be boxed up with decals and instructions from other sources. Airfix QC will check out a few to ensure they are upto standards, neither QC team is likely to know the difference between an intended moulded line and one created by moulding flaw in a canopy.

Airfix's excellemt Replacement parts service come from the surplus stock in the warehouse, thus thats the best they can do as thats all that they have to work with.

Yes they will take up quality issues with the production company, but this may or may not be covered in their contract and as such it may not be possible to get an additional run of replacement flawless canopies within the terms of their contract.

What planet are you guys on, try reading the side of the box where it clearly states "Made in India", Airfix DON'T have their own production facilities, its contracted out to an Indian or Chinese company to produce. QC will be done in the factory looking for short shots, deformed or missing parts. The kits are shipped back to the UK in their sealed bags to be boxed up with decals and instructions from other sources. Airfix QC will check out a few to ensure they are upto standards, neither QC team is likely to know the difference between an intended moulded line and one created by moulding flaw in a canopy.

Airfix's excellemt Replacement parts service come from the surplus stock in the warehouse, thus thats the best they can do as thats all that they have to work with.

Yes they will take up quality issues with the production company, but this may or may not be covered in their contract and as such it may not be possible to get an additional run of replacement flawless canopies within the terms of their contract.

So we are complaining about a bad product and you are wondering what planet we are on? So are you saying we should just shut up and accept poor quality then? I'm sorry it doesn't matter what country the parts are molded in, it's up to Airfix to make sure the parts are up to standard, it's their product after all.

Of course lots of other kits are molded in China (maybe some in India as well), but I've never seen any of them this consistently bad.

I know it's business and it all comes down to money, but at least Humbrol moved production there paints back to England, but Airfix not checking parts like this even after someone has request a replacement about part in the first place I find rather poor.

Unless Airfix have really screwed up the contract then they should be able to get replacement canopies molded if a load of them are of unacceptable quality. I don't know what warehouse you are referring to but the delay in getting the replacements was because Airfix were awaiting stock.

Saying that the QC team wouldn't know the difference between an intended mold line and this fault I can't believe, if anyone thinks this is how the part should be, then they shouldn't be in the job:

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 2

I'm with DuncanB and Tbolt on this one.

The 'what planet' comment is un-called for.

Just because it is a model does not mean that we have to ignore the fact that parts of it are unuseable.If it had been anything other than the canopy and windscreen then perhaps it may not have been too much of an issue.

Fortunately I still have a model shop where I can examine my purchase and rest assured I will be doing so with the next lot of intended 'Airfix' purchases.

RG

• Like 1

This looks like clear evidence that it is a cold shut defect, I have never seen anything like this bad. The two inflows of plastic have not even met let alone fused together.

This looks like clear evidence that it is a cold shut defect, I have never seen anything like this bad. The two inflows of plastic have not even met let alone fused together.

Exactly and it's seems they are just just producing parts as quickly as they can with no interest if they are molding right or not.

• Like 1

Thanks Duncan for the heads-up on the canopy flaws.

This appears to have been around for sometime. I don't normally get involved in Lightning threads but I saw mention of the Vampire T11 so I checked my two, still boxed and sealed, kits. The flaws are there, on all three clear parts. I also checked my, still boxed, Harrier GR kits (all ten). There is a flaw on the left side of the canopy which, under certain lighting conditions, disappears. I also checked two of my Chipmunk kits, one of which is the old production one with Cambridge UAS on the box (kit 01054) and the latest incarnation with the black Chippy on the box (A01054). Both have a flaw on the port fwd side of the canopy.

I have no doubt that Airfix, with its current high standing to maintain and who, I know, regularly dip in to forums such as BM, will be making efforts to ensure that this does not happen again and I would imagine that they would be rigorously checking such "Hi-Value" kits such as the 24th Typhoon.

Pity really - But for a ha'pth of tar............

Cheers

Dennis

Edit:- May I add that if I hadn't known what to look for, I may well not have noticed them. Worth bring up though.

DR

Edited by sloegin57
  • Like 1

I'm on Planet Consumer where people pay for services and products and expect them to be "fit for purpose". I don't really care where/who are subcontracted to produce the items but I bought two kits from Airfix, a contract of sorts if you like, I paid for something that should be "fit for purpose" and clearly (sic) is not. Is it likely that Airfix have never opened any of the items supplied by their subcontractor to check the quality? If not maybe they need to start now.

Airfix's excellent replacement parts department sent me (and it would appear others) parts that are even less fit for purpose than the parts that required replacing. That's the best I can do Guv' does not have a place in proper business, if I was to try to supply dodgy services to my customers then I should expect to be out of business in short order.

I can afford to throw £30 away on plastic kits that are not up to standard but do not expect to, I wasted an awful lot more on Trumpeter's attempt at Lightnings when they first came out but will never buy another Trumpeter kit. It is a shame Airfix can't get their offering up to standard as I really wanted a decent, modern Lightning kit with no vices.

I will have to buy vac form canopies if and when they become available but it is a bit of a kick in the teeth having to throw more money at a kit that should be good to go straight out of the box.

Maybe Airfix could save some cash by just not including the clear plastic, would that be acceptable to you?

Duncan B

• Like 2

With my how to guide I am sure a man of your skills will be able to whip up some nice homemade vacformed canopies that you will be happy with at minimal cost. I assume your household had a vacuum cleaner and a grill? You may not be that familiar with these domestic items but I bet it does.

• Like 1

With my how to guide I am sure a man of your skills will be able to whip up some nice homemade vacformed canopies that you will be happy with at minimal cost. I assume your household had a vacuum cleaner and a grill? You may not be that familiar with these domestic items but I bet it does.

I have heard of the former and I have some experience of the latter (Mrs B once had to stay away overnight on the occasion of son's birth so I had to fend for myself).

DB

It is covered by the Sales of Goods Act 1979 which provides for replacement or refund of money:-

(Section) 14. (2A) For the purposes of this Act, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances.
(2B) For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods -
(a fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,
(b appearance and finish,
(c freedom from minor defects..."
The canopy issue would appear to fit all three aspects.
Nick
  • Like 1