British Airways S61N Helicopter - 1/72 Whirlybird Conversion

Here is my first ever attempt at working in resin. This is the Whirlybird Conversions S61N resin kit which uses the Revell Sea King as it's host model. It took quite a while to build but worked out as I intended it to, depicting the 1980s British Airways Lands End to the Scilly Isles shuttle service that I have travelled on many times - it is a shame they axed it as it was very unique and added to the exclusivity of visiting the Scillies. Well done to Roger at Whirlybird for releasing this fantastic kit

DSCF4091_zpsdbcdd3e5.jpg

DSCF4092_zps29b84c60.jpg

DSCF4093_zps99cb2c5e.jpg

DSCF4094_zps9855b257.jpg

DSCF4095_zps66c536b8.jpg

DSCF4096_zpsdb98d60a.jpg

DSCF4097_zpsf2abecc2.jpg

DSCF4098_zpse2828a0e.jpg

DSCF4102_zpsfb837dcd.jpg

DSCF4104_zps5c02b1e2.jpg

DSCF4106_zps83577d5a.jpg

Thank you for looking - John

• Like 14

Magic, magic, magic. I remember seeing them in the '60's flying out of Penzance, next to the carvan park. We used to got 'trapping' their on Saturday nights from Culdrose. Thanks for the memories and what a great build and diorama. Yes as you say Roger is filling some holes in helicopter history. I sent him some parts to make a Sea King Commando but as yet nothing has happened!!! Yet.

Colin

Nice! Reminds me of the days I used to see these at the Beehive at Gatwick back in the 70s. And the BAA linkS-61 G-LINK that operated between Gatwick and Heathrow for the sum of around £7.00!!!

By the way, The crew chappies seem to have got hats from the Russians going by the size of the brims!! :winkgrin:

• Like 2

Fabulous build! And the dio has just the right amount of detail to explain the context and add life.

That air hostess (?) at the foot of the stairs looks kinky – white gloves and a black latext dress? Mmm…

Great modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you for the kind words Gents - I still find it hard to get my head around the service being axed. I am due to go back to Tresco this May via St Mary's on a BN Islander from Lands End but it just wont be the same. And I will never get on the Scillionian again as it takes soooo long

Hi John,

lovely work.

I was lucky enough to fly the Gatwick to Heathrow route on G-LINK and loved it.

Back in the early '80's, I also flew in the British Airways civvy Chinook, G-BISP and that was even better! Sad day when she went down a few years later.

Can I ask, who supplied the figures and, if they are part of a set, which one it it?

Regards

Reggie

Hi John,

lovely work.

I was lucky enough to fly the Gatwick to Heathrow route on G-LINK and loved it.

Back in the early '80's, I also flew in the British Airways civvy Chinook, G-BISP and that was even better! Sad day when she went down a few years later.

Can I ask, who supplied the figures and, if they are part of a set, which one it it?

Regards

Reggie

Hi Reggie - thanks for the response. The figures are from Preiser sets - they come in strips of 6 or 7 painted or unpainted - I am pretty sure I bought mine from Reynolds or Gaugemaster. I mixed up a few sets for the passengers and the pilots/ground crew were from a set of 12 figures I think. I was a bit shocked to note your comment about G-BISP as I did not know she was lost while in service. Whirlybird also did a BA conversion of this civvy Chinook kit that I have seen on Scale Rotors website

Hi Reggie - thanks for the response. The figures are from Preiser sets - they come in strips of 6 or 7 painted or unpainted - I am pretty sure I bought mine from Reynolds or Gaugemaster. I mixed up a few sets for the passengers and the pilots/ground crew were from a set of 12 figures I think. I was a bit shocked to note your comment about G-BISP as I did not know she was lost while in service. Whirlybird also did a BA conversion of this civvy Chinook kit that I have seen on Scale Rotors website

Hi Matey,

urgent correction here, my old spotting log book was out of line by one, since I'd copied everything over to Word many years ago and it wasn't G-BISP that was lost, it was G-BWFC! Sorry for any distress I caused by the comment. I understand that 'SP was last known to be operating in Papua New Guinea. The odd thing is the transmission that failed in 'FC had previously been installed in 'SP!

Thanks for the info re the figures, I must get some ordered.

Regards

Reggie

Very interesting subject, I like it a lot! Last year I flew many times in the two British International (Brintels) S-61's in the Falklands while on tour. I managed to get plenty of video footage and photos of G-ATFM and G-BFRI.