airfix fiesta wrc

Hello there.

Thought I would start a wip for my christmas present. I got the airfix 1/32 fiesta rs wrc.

CAM00076.jpg

Looking forward to building this, but the decals might be a bit challenging!

I have got a fair bit done, so far, and will post some pics up tomorrow of my progress.

Matt.

Hi there . I'currently building the Airfix Mini WRC car . The Fiesta is next on the list . I ' m going to leave it white , no decals as they look far to fiddly to apply . Real life rally Fiestas look awesome in plain white , tarmac spec .

• Like 1

I found the most challenging decals were the front bumper ones. I put mine in the wrong place, too low beneath the lights. But I didn't notice it till it was too late and they were dry, so I had no choice but to leave them. They are not perfect, but they will have to do, although it will niggle me forever that I made a slight mistake with them. Some decal setter was needed just to make them conform to the curves a little bit. Roof decal went on fairly well with minimal fuss to be honest. The only real change I made was to cut out the white areas around the door handles and masked and painted those for a better finish. It made a whole world of difference to the finish.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I thought the bumper decal might be the worst.

I have got the humbrol decal solution, is it any good? Not had chance to use it yet.

I have made a start on the build, got the two chassis halves joined, fitted the wheel wells so I could assemble the roll cage. Just working on the interior fittings now.

Waiting to paint the shell, but can't do much to it till I get paid, so I can order some zero paints.

What colour blue did people use? Someone reccomended zeros indigo blue, but not sure it's right. Was going to use ford pwrformance blue, but my local ford dealer wants £20 for a 250ml spray can!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I thought the bumper decal might be the worst.

I have got the humbrol decal solution, is it any good? Not had chance to use it yet.

I have made a start on the build, got the two chassis halves joined, fitted the wheel wells so I could assemble the roll cage. Just working on the interior fittings now.

Waiting to paint the shell, but can't do much to it till I get paid, so I can order some zero paints.

What colour blue did people use? Someone reccomended zeros indigo blue, but not sure it's right. Was going to use ford pwrformance blue, but my local ford dealer wants £20 for a 250ml spray can!

You need RAL 5002 for the blue, Hiroboy/Zero paints can supply it for you. You could also use Mr Color #5, which is also a perfect match. Performance Blue is metallic and the real car is just a straight blue, not metallic..

Picture001_zps4007c3a3.jpg

Edited by Steve Noble
  • Like 1

Steve, your fiesta looks absolutely beautiful. Was that the ral5002 you used?

The colourr looks perfect.

What did you use as a top coat? I want to try the 2k laquer. Have you sealed over the decals?

Matt.

• Like 1

Quick update.

The roll cage is built. Made up of 5 rather fragile parts.

Had to dry fit the rear wheel arches and dashboard, to ensure the cage fit, as there are front and rear location points on them.

Didn't want to build up the cage without them, then find it wouldn't fit.

The parts were rather fragile, and were attached to the sprues with thick location points. Made them rather hard to detach as I didn't want to break them,and they were flexing a lot when I cut then free.

CAM00088.jpg

Dry fitted to the chassis. Fits rather well.

CAM00093.jpg

Why did airfix see fit to attach the wheels to the sprue with thick gates, and put mould line right slap bang in the middle of the tyre?

I don't think they thought out the parts layout very well. There are a number of small parts like the gear lever and ariels that might break when you detach them.

Can see me needing to fabricate some replacements.

Matt.

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

Body shell primed, ready for wet and dry.

CAM00067.jpg

Got a new toy to play with, micromesh pads.

Heard people on here raving about them, so I decided to try them.

Was supprised at the results, even just on primer.

CAM00080.jpg

Before micromesh, just wet and dry to 1200 grit.

CAM00079.jpg

CAM00078.jpg

After wet and dry, micro meshed quickly upto 12000 grit.

Nice and shiney, considering I only gave it a quick 5 minute polish.

Matt.

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies and encouragement guys, it means a lot coming from people with better skills than me.

Going to have to fabricate a new gear lever, as the kit part broke into 3 pieces when I tried to trim it from the sprue. Might have the same trouble with the long hand brake lever too. Luckily I have a cunning plan involving a pin and a rotary tool.

Matt.

Edited by S5 modeller

Going to have to fabricate a new gear lever, as the kit part broke into 3 pieces when I tried to trim it from the sprue.

Matt.

I noticed myself that the parts are very brittle and the attachment points quite heavy, for sure a recipe for disaster with the cutters. Some of the Fujimi F1 cars I've built have a similar problem as well, it takes a lot of care to remove the parts without damage. One thing I forgot to mention earlier about the decals. They are pretty good to work with and don't need a lot of decal setter. In fact plain water worked better for me. Also I found that using very gentle heat from a hair dryer and then some careful pressing with a moist cotton cloth was the best method to get them to conform on the trickier areas. I used this to very good effect on the front bumper decals and also the large green areas that fold around the rear bumper corners. Hope this helps :D

Thanks for the decal tips guys, I will try them when the time comes.

I have made some progress.

I made a new gear lever out if a dressmakers pin. I sculpted the top by clamping it in my rotary tool, spinning it, and shaped it using a needle file and emery cloth.

I didn't take any pics till after I installed it, so here are some shots of it in situ. I think I will only paint the end, as it looks good in plain metal.

Only need to fit the handbrake, roll cage, rear half of the harnesses and the spare wheel then the interior is finished.

Hope you all like it.

CAM00109.jpg

CAM00110.jpg

CAM00112.jpg

CAM00108.jpg

CAM00107.jpg

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

I think I am going to call this interior done now.

All the internals are fitted. Had some trouble trying to fit the handbrake, perhapse I should have fitted it before the seats.

Last to fit was the roll cage, didn't quite fit into it's mounting holes due to paint build up, so had to remove the paint off the mounting points.

Any how, here are some pics....

CAM00119.jpg

CAM00120.jpg

CAM00121.jpg

CAM00122.jpg

CAM00118.jpg

Matt.

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

Just micrmeshing the shell now.

Put a coat of revell ultramine blue on over the primer, but when it dried I noticed that a load of scratches were evident in the primer. So going to micromesh it right back to shift them.

Matt.

Thanks graham.

To be honest, it is a fairly basic build, but yields good results. I have got another airfix kit, the 1/32 jaguar xkr gt3 car, I looked at doing it next as a follow on build. To be honest I have ditched the idea for now, as looking at the parts and instructions the interior assembly is almost identical to the fiesta, as are some of the parts.

I finished meshing the shell, but it took over 2 hours. Had to go right through the topcoat I had applied to get rid of the marks in the primer. To be honest I should have done this to the primer first, but was rushing to get it done. Plus the scratches didn't appear till I put some blue on it.

Matt.

Edited by S5 modeller

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update time.

After spraying the shell again, it wasn't happy with the results. Had a lot of trouble with the paint. It didn't spray well, it splattered a bit and seemed to bead on the surface, it ran on the surface and dried with a rough dull finish and had a spotty texture. After asking some questions on here in the paint section I got some answers.

So I started again with a new pot of paint, thinned it a bit less, added some winsor and newton flow improver and reduced my spray pressure.

Re sprayed it and am now happier with the results. It was like night and day the difference! The finish is now glossy and smooth, although there is a bit of orange peel on the roof. Think I need to flat it and micromesh it back up to a shine, what do you think?

CAM00133.jpg

CAM00134.jpg

CAM00136.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality, my phone camera doesn't seem to agree with artificial light. Will try to get some better pics tomorrow in the daylight outside.

As always, all thoughts and comments are welcome, good or bad.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1