1/72 revell DH2

I just came across these pics I took last year of my first build using ez-line for the rigging (I used 6ft of the stuff on this kit). Looking at it now, it looks a little untidy - up next is the Airfix Swordfish & this time it's going to be tidy....

WP_000172_zpsa23cd4f0.jpg

WP_000171_zpsfdf845fa.jpg

WP_000170_zpsdbce576c.jpg

WP_000168_zps17798618.jpg

WP_000178_zpsd9a9276c.jpg

WP_000177_zpsbe3a32b8.jpg

WP_000176_zpsa24354f2.jpg

WP_000175_zps069b2f42.jpg

WP_000174_zps4c58e75a.jpg

• Like 13

I would thoroughly recommend it - I've tried wire, but never attempted stretched sprue, which is what a lot of people seem to use. I'll certainly be using ez-line on the swordfish

That does look really good! I did have this kit but thought it looked too basic, but you've made it look really nice.

I've used that EZ Line and it is superb stuff. Can't see myself using anything but for rigging. Along with gel superglue and accelerator.

Oh and it doesn't look untidy to me.

Martin

Hi Andy. I've got this kit. The EZline I bought came from ModelsRGo and I purchased the Light ( 0.075mm ) stuff. They also do a heavy and I'm wondering what you used? I keep looking at my line and thinking that it looks way too thin. But yours came out well! :goodjob:

I used the light stuff - .003 sample packs sourced from ebay. The guy's name us bobemt. It comes from the states, but it can fit in an envelope so costs next to nothing to post

Thanks Andy. Did you have any trouble working with it? Is there a specific technique you used to get the end of the EZLine into a drilled hole - Ive been experimenting and I don't find it that easy.

thanks Andy, I'll get some.
Your model has probably swayed a few of us to have a go, nice one :thumbsup:

Edited by markg

When I get as far as the rigging on the swordfish I'll try to video it. It may be a while yet as the sun is out and I can hear my golf clubs calling me.

6 feet of line on such a small model????!!! Blimey! Hard to believe!

Well done and quite tidy too.

I'd believe the 6 feet. I recently finished the Eduard 1:48 version and used silk thread on it. I reckon I'd have used considerably more.

I notice that you haven't added all of the seemingly hundreds of lines to this - perhaps Revell supplied a simplified rigging diagramme (Eduards was a bit hard to follow, so I tracked down a multi page version), or perhaps you felt like I did: by the time I'd done most of it, I felt that in the scale in which I was working (and being forced to use thicker thread), doing it all might have wrecked it. Goodness knows how you felt facing the smaller scale.

I ballsed mine up long before the rigging stage, but your efforts are all the more impressive considering how little space you must have had to work with to apply the lines between the wings.

Well done.

I did decide to stop before it was complete. I was working with photos of a full size replica. It got to the point that I felt any more would be too much. Having done this one I definitely want to do more dh2s. I must be mad, but I'm also contemplating the Inpact boxkite, and the revell wright flyer. But at larger scales I would probably use turnbuckles too.

I left some off and it still looked crowded - I figured you might have felt the same. We must be gluttons for punishment, because I'm seriously considering the WNW version!

I have a tremor associated with an old neck injury that makes any rigging difficult. No way I'm going near turnbuckles, but they'd certainly look the goods.

I'd look forward to the other two as well - it's a pity pre-WWI planes aren't readily available (I get why not from economic perspectives, but it's a shame).

WNW sell the full size (100 foot/30 meter) reels for $16 USD.

That's interesting - the little batch I bought was stated as being .003 - I've just done a little arithmetic & the reels on WNW are 0.15mm, this equates to .006 inches

• 2 weeks later...