Recommended kit for Iroquois UH-1B RAN

abat

What would people recommend as a base kit for the above. I'd be interested in both 1/72 and 1/48 scale. It would be built as an RAN unit. I've googled like crazy but nothing really jumps out. Cheers, Andrew

Italeri has a number of kits of early Hueys in 1/72 scale, all based on the B. I believe that all the boxes have the same plastic inside, so you can buy the UH-1B or the AB-204. The UH-1B kit is in this year catalogue, so should be easy to find.

From what I know, the rotor is not correct in span though, not sure if this applies to all types or only to those with the longer rotors.

Thanks Giorgio,

That looks good. Looks like eduard does an etch set for the italeri kit and Hawkeye does RAN decals. All set to add to my stash!

Andrew

Concerning the short-cabin Hueys Italeri produced three different vriants of their superb 1/72 kit: UH-1B, UH-1C and UH-1H/AB 204. Using various layouts of sprues they differ in rotor blade chord, rotor diameter, fin chord, rear fuselage length and many minor items. Other short-cabin (a little bit better than Italeri) 72nd scale offering comes from Hobby Boss, but here I'm not sure, whether all these variations are properly covered - frankly speaking I haven't bought the HB Hueys yet.

Andrew

If you want to build an RAN UH-1B, I would suggest you identify which one you want to build first. When I was working on them, we had 4 and they were all in different configurations. On the flight line, no 2 were the same.

John

• Like 1

Having builkt the Italeri kit and purchased the HB kit, the Italeri looks a better kit. If you look for the old Heli-kit-news site, I think there was an artile on the different rotorheads. The Roger Evans did an article in SAM a few years back. I did a conversion in my ROTOCraft range for the roof mounted hoist cover. Have a look on the A2zee site if you are interested.

Colin

• Like 1