Project Pink Arrow - 1:72 RAF Gnat (Airfix) - FINISHED

Hi everyone,

Here is my WIP thread for my entry into the Less than a Tenner Group Build, Project Pink Arrow.

I'd like to give you all some background to this project before posting anything.

In November 2012, my niece and her family emigrated to Australia, however before she went my wife and I took her to the Shoreham Airshow for our last day out with her. Her favourite aircraft was the pink aircraft from the SWIP display team (shown below).

480730_10151585733403834_743167620_n_zps

Ever since she moved we have talked via Skype and she always likes to see my models (especially the Vulcan I built), so I have decided to make a model for her birthday (which is small enough that my step mum can take it on the plane for me in July).

I selected an Airfix 1:72 RAF Red Arrows Gnat Starter set for the kit and because I know she will want the kit to be painted pink, have gone with Tamiya X-17 Pink acrylic paint.

I guess you can call this one a What If build i.e. What if the painters of the Red Arrows planes picked the wrong colour for one of the planes when they were spraying them, thus the Pink Arrow was born.

This kit is going to be a complete one off. I have decided that I will create a Limited Edition certificate for it along with a document to send with it to show my niece, how I went about the project and what it started out like etc.

Here is the kit :

A55105-Front_zpsf2ded745.jpg
Airfix built Red Arrow :
A55105-Photo-2_zps27f82547.jpg

Sprues :
Sprues_zpsb6843285.jpg

This kit will be the simplest build I have built for a very long time and as such probably won't take a long time for me to do.

Thanks very much for looking. Excuse the fact that I have to paint this one pink.

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801
  • Like 3

Here is the first bit of progress on this kit (finally I have made a start on it as I have finished my main project).

I have painted the fuselage sections, wings, tail and elevators with the first coat of the pink paint. I am going to continue painting the components in the proper colours as soon as the fuselage is painted completely.

Here are the photos :

Painted1_zps1fdcbd31.jpg

Painted2_zps629e825e.jpg

More progress tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

• Like 1

what decal scheme are you planning?

I was going to go with a custom set of decals but as I am unsure of how much that will cost to do for a one off kit, I have been thinking about using the supplied decals from the kit.

I am still not sure at the moment though.

Rick

The reason i was asking is that I am planning some kind of one-off design for a D-day aircraft, looking to print my own decals, and was going to see how you approached it.

Hi,

Here is the first update for a few days.

I have got all of the components that the instructions call for painted in the relevant colours. It seems from the number of parts that there are a number of parts which are not needed for this build.

Anyway onto the photos.

Fuselage :

Fuselage_zps66ab1afa.jpg

I separated the fuselage parts from the main sprues to protect them whilst painting the other components.

Sprue 1:

Sprue1_zpsfe48c039.jpg

Sprue 2 :

Sprue2_zpsbf748ea1.jpg

As soon as all of the paint is dry, I will be starting work on assembling this kit, so the next photos will be once the assembly work is underway.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

Very nice. The Gnat kit looks nice to put together too. I might pick one up to go with my Hawk :)

Thanks,

I was thinking the same for my collection to go with my Revell 1/32 Red Arrows Hawk (which I am still working on) and my Airfix RAF Benevolent Fund Hawk which I completed last year.

Mine will most definately not be pink though.....this is a one off build never to be repeated lol .....

Haha :) Yeah. It's interesting to see though. I've seen a few pictures around of Hawks in Yellowjacks schemes (which makes sense considering how they converted to the Red Arrows in the end). Something else I might do too.

Can't wait to see the finished vision though :)