humbrol acrylic, any tips on using them?

zero

I just bought 4 new tubs of Humbrol Acrylic and all all of them are perfect. Only ever had one duff pot and I have got though tons of them.

I buy mine from http://www.topslotsntrains.com/topslotsntrains/index.asp

They are cheaper and have a great service they seem to always have new stock paint too, Not shelf sitters.

Well packaged and I have just brush painted this green onto my Vulcan here using it with just flow improver added.

Here are the results so far and build thread here : http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956570-will-i-finish-in-time-for-cosford-vulcans-xm597-xm595/page-7

1/200th scale

99B0F209-A310-4DEB-B296-5607D69C9528-506

cheers Rob

Thank for the update on these, I will get some humbrol thinners asap now.

Backs been a devil this week (and last!) So not got to much done. Also had a cock up primer wise, got some cheap, Hi Build, so it wiped every panel line out on my GR1 harrier. :(

Dave

Thank for the update on these, I will get some humbrol thinners asap now.

Backs been a devil this week (and last!) So not got to much done. Also had a cock up primer wise, got some cheap, Hi Build, so it wiped every panel line out on my GR1 harrier. :(

Dave

Hi If its Acrylics I don't think humbrol does their own I really urge you to use W&N Flow Improver, Add it to humbrol and its the dogs bits.

the green I brush painted this way on the Vulcan above over a matt primed surface now shee looks like this. I swear by it ;)

A453F141-BDF8-4DA3-9963-1C63DB35534A-538

Stunning work Rob

I aways add flow enhancer to every bottle of tamiya paint, when I open it. I have six bottles of it :)

I hope to get some model time In and bin the high build primer and get my brace of gnats painted

Yep humbrol do, do a acylic thinners

http://www.airfix.com/shop/humbrol/coatings-and-thinners/thinners/ac7433-acrylic-thinners-125ml-bottle/

So after priming the Gants I'll see if I can find some red paint and some thinners and see how it stand up.

Then I have a few model to build.

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Britmodeller does it again! Thanks everyone for this great discussion.

Just ordered some W&N flow improver because of this thread and watching Rob's 'Tiddler' build.

Is it OK to just add the flow improver straight to the Humbrol tin, or do you mix the amount you need for one session in a separate container? Will the the flow improver ruin the paint if they're left mixed together in the tin for a long time?

• Like 1

Britmodeller does it again! Thanks everyone for this great discussion.

Just ordered some W&N flow improver because of this thread and watching Rob's 'Tiddler' build.

Is it OK to just add the flow improver straight to the Humbrol tin, or do you mix the amount you need for one session in a separate container? Will the the flow improver ruin the paint if they're left mixed together in the tin for a long time?

Hi mate I use the stuff all the time its really amazing stuff. You can get it from Hobbycraft and The Range shops. Its worth investing in some white bristle brushes that are designed for Acrylics if you really want to get the best results I use these but nothing to expensive and sometimes I do use any old squirrel hair brush.

But they don’t last long because of how the Acrylic clogs up the hair.

I have so far tried it with Revell Aqua , Citadel, Humbrol and Xtracrylics paints all brushing beautifully. As for how much to add. Well this depends on the paint.

If you get a very thin weak pigmented paint you may not need so much were a thicker paint might need to have a fair dollop.

Its hard to say how much I add I would have to show you. Its not scientific but basically When I have bought a new tub of the above. I open it up and just pour some in enough that I can still shut the lid and then give it a good shake and stir.

Then I will have ago at painting it and see how it goes. If its gripping a little then you know you need to add more.

Once you got it going well you will enjoy the painting process but make sure you paint over a primed surface not bare plastic or it will just not give you a tough finish. I always use a humbrol matt paint direct from the can HU64, HU27 etc they grip nicely cutting into the plastic and level off to give a fine finish. then when you brush on them they stick to that so you get a good finish.

Once the stuff is added its ready to use again and again though you will find over time it evaporates as the paint drys slowly over time so you can keep adding a bit more.

Its great for making very very thin washes with a little paint too. Remember though the more you add the more the drying time increases but they still dry rapidly.

I find sometimes 1 coat is enough but usually 2 sometimes 3 for very pale colours like yellow though they take a lot more.

You can try this with other paints. I have used it with Tamiya smoke but you will not get the same results for my Tamiya is a weird paint but for Airbrushing its the bees knees.

You must try their Varnished too(Windsor and Newton) I have their matt varnish which I added flow improver too but you likely don't need too. It takes ages to dry however but gives fab results and a tough finish, I sometime add this to a model and then give another spray coat of a humbrol varnish. Not really needed but It does seem to add something to the finish. I must try their gloss soon.

I also highly recommend the Revel Aqua paints they are just simply amazing to work with. They are thick and have amazing coverage but the paint naturally levels off and shrinks back it gives a beautiful finish and with the Flow Improver its even better. They have some good colours too.

I am starting to use their paints more and more. Their metallic shades are amazing to brush with too. Also Citadels are brilliant too.

Have fun.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to write all this down Rob! It is greatly appreciated.

I ordered some W&N gloss and matt varnish at the same time as the flow improver - looking forward to trying all three. The whole reason I was looking around the tools and tips thread was to try and find a decent acrylic matt varnish and it all led to this!

I've used almost exclusively enamels to this point, but airbrushed a little acrylic a little while back and loved the way it looked and how incredibly easy it was to clean up. And then I saw your brushed results on the Tiddler and that convinced to give brushing a try as well. I'll look in to getting some Revell Aqua, but I haven't been able to find a source here in the States.

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to write all this down Rob! It is greatly appreciated.

I ordered some W&N gloss and matt varnish at the same time as the flow improver - looking forward to trying all three. The whole reason I was looking around the tools and tips thread was to try and find a decent acrylic matt varnish and it all led to this!

I've used almost exclusively enamels to this point, but airbrushed a little acrylic a little while back and loved the way it looked and how incredibly easy it was to clean up. And then I saw your brushed results on the Tiddler and that convinced to give brushing a try as well. I'll look in to getting some Revell Aqua, but I haven't been able to find a source here in the States.

No problem I am pretty quick at typing which is sometimes unfortunate lol. But If I can help I will as many have and do help me on here that is what its about.

I picked up the Flow Improver tip from a chap on another forum. I also picked up the tip on the W&N Varnish from a chap on here who was making some excellent hurricane and dios for a museum.

I thought they were airbrushed. but just brushed from the bottle.

I love Airbrushing but will admit to being in the past someone who thought brushpainting was never gonna look good. wrong its the old band workman who blames the tools thing again. Since my AB packed up I have not rushed to go back and this is more relaxing and easier.

Then the speed and soft edge effects are something that the AB will always do better.

Unless there are other ways I am not privy too.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

I'm still getting used to airbrushing, and am enjoying it - but brush painting is definitely more therapeutic. I've seen some amazing brush painted builds here on Britmodeller including yours Rob, and this is an area I where would like to improve.

My W&N flow improver and varnishes just arrived. The flow improver bottle says to dilute with 20 parts water to 1 part flow improver before use.

Rob, do you do this, or have you been using the flow improver straight from the bottle?

• Like 1

I'm still getting used to airbrushing, and am enjoying it - but brush painting is definitely more therapeutic. I've seen some amazing brush painted builds here on Britmodeller including yours Rob, and this is an area I where would like to improve.

My W&N flow improver and varnishes just arrived. The flow improver bottle says to dilute with 20 parts water to 1 part flow improver before use.

Rob, do you do this, or have you been using the flow improver straight from the bottle?

I did not read the instructions,,,, I use it neat lol. Works wonders for me ;)

• Like 1

Then I'll do the same! Thanks Rob!

I am the same with cooking. I experiment. I never weigh or measure anything I just put in enough of what me and the mrs want to eat. Usually plenty of wine. Thats Flow Improver for food. ;)

Good luck

• Like 1

I did not read the instructions,,,, I use it neat lol. Works wonders for me ;)

Thats interesting to know. Cheers Rob.

Tom.

• Like 1

Thats interesting to know. Cheers Rob.

Tom.

Haha I think I started reading it and then thought "yep get the idea" and just used it.

I am bad with reading instructions ;)

• Like 2

As far as i am concerned for brush painting you cant beat vallejo, tried a pot of the new humbrol and binned it ; What Ps me off with vallejo is that i cant seem to find it here in France,

As far as i am concerned for brush painting you cant beat vallejo, tried a pot of the new humbrol and binned it ; What Ps me off with vallejo is that i cant seem to find it here in France,

I have not tried Vallejo yet. I have noticed my local shop DCC Supplies had started stocking the entire range. They post world wide so you could give them a try.

Humbrol paints are amazing for me. But with W&N Flow Improver added. Only had 3 bad pots ever and that was when they had QC issues with China Production.

The new UK stuff is even better.

They have improved it now apparently.

Cheers Rob ;)

I've not tried Vallejo paints yet, but I intend to on my next build. They seem to be readily available in my local bouyes store.

Maybe I will also try Humbrol acrylics, off the back of this thread.

One thing i have found with Vallejo is that if not used for a while all the pigments separate and need a lot of shaking before use, s i have drilled a few holes in a lump of wood and store the ones i am using upside down.

I think the stuff is made in Spain, so i am popping down on my push bike later on in the Summer to see if i can find some. :cow6:

• Like 1

I've had good results with the new Humbrol acrylics by thinning with Tamiya acrylic thinners - brush and airbrush. And afaik they're the only company to do RLM 72 and RLM 73 in their Luftwaffe range (243 & 244 respectively).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've had good results with the new Humbrol acrylics by thinning with Tamiya acrylic thinners - brush and airbrush. And afaik they're the only company to do RLM 72 and RLM 73 in their Luftwaffe range (243 & 244 respectively).

OK, I'm going to revise this somewhat. The above comment was made on the basis of having tried only a couple of colours which were in 12ml pots with a flip top and screw opening; these also had the instructional pictograms captioned (the bit that includes "Shake/stir ...", "do not freeze", etc).

I've just used another colour, one of their new Luftwaffe range. This one is in a 14ml pot with screw opening only. The instructional pictograms are not captioned, and unlike the 12ml pot, which does not state a country of origin, this one states "Made in China". I tried it with Tamiya thinner, which worked beautifully on the paint from the 12ml pot: result one clogged tip. Cleaned up, tried it with distilled water and W&N Flow enhancer: same result, and what did reach the model had a "orange-peel" effect suggesting rapid drying. So I'm unhappy for two reasons: I'm going to have to redo the bit of painting I tried this morning (this time with Vallejo as I have the right colour in stock); and I've bought quite a few of the 14ml on the basis of a good experience - potentially wasted money if I cannot get them to work. More experimenting needed yet though.

I've not tried them on the hairy brush yet. My airbrush setup is an Iwata HP-CS with a 0.35mm tip.

:(

Edited by MikeC

• 5 months later...

Can I ask You Rob, what brush type do you use?

(pleas forgive my mistake english)

Janos

from Hungary

Any really but I just use for the last few years a cheap pack of reeves white bristle brushes which are a synthetic hair designed for used with acylics.

I don't like brown hair ones as the paint clumps up in the hair platelets. With a synthetic you get a perfect smooth strand which influences the way the paint is layed on.

The flow improves helps the most though.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1