humbrol acrylic, any tips on using them?

zero

I normally use Tamiya paint, but I doesn't brush that well. Due to a knackered hip, I've now bought a Humbrol Workstation so I can build in a comfy chair.

I bought humbrols metalic acrylic box set recently, they take a lot of mixing and have a purple hue to them. Their video suggests thining them with their acrylic thinners, which I'm soon to try, ie as soon as I get some, but wonder if anyone is using them successfully.

I did try a giftset pot of red (same purple hue to it) admit the plasic was not undercoated, but coverage wasn't great, and was like painting with treacle!) Going to try again as soon as I find some thinners, but I don't want to commit to buying more for both brush and airbrush use if it not worth it.

I also tested tamiya over the humbrol, and encountered no reaction issue, anyone had any issues, as it likely I will now be brush painting both before and after, on the tray.

Tia

Dave

• Like 1

If using Humbrol (or any acrylic), use a primer (Halfords grey primer works superbly). Adding a drop of Winsor and Newton flow improver should eliminate brush strokes and makes the paint easier to use.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Been using both for years, my question relates to the specific use of the new humbrol acrylic's, and if people are having any success using them ie from the pot, or thinning to use with Airbrush.

I really mixed up a pot of 11 (silver) the coverage was not great, even over very light gray plastic, not going to be much use if even simple parts need two coats.

Dave

Hum, I spent 10 minutes mixing 11 Silver (with a electric paint mixer) it was back the same this morning. HO Hum

I will try with some thinners and see if this results in any change, I painted the fan of my Harrier GR1 with it, it needed two coats to cover!!!

Hi phil, I'm just wondering if anyone is having any success with the new humbrol acrylic paint?

I have plenty of Tamiya, which I use for airbrushing, but they don't brush to well, however, it seems neither do humbrols new acrylic. IE just looking to buy a few pot of basic colours to hand finish with.

Dave

Edited by zero

I've only ever had success with brush painting the Vallejo Acrylics and the Revell ones are ok too, the few humbrols I tried were naff. I'd be interested to know if the new formula is any better too if any one has tried it....

I use humbrol acrylics , revel aqua , citadel and xtracrylics with a dollop of W&N mixed in and brush them over a surface first sprayed with humbrol matt spay cans. I do this for most my builds. I love the results I get. W&N Flow Improver is Magic stuff ;)

I use humbrol acrylics , revel aqua , citadel and xtracrylics with a dollop of W&N mixed in and brush them over a surface first sprayed with humbrol matt spay cans. I do this for most my builds. I love the results I get. W&N Flow Improver is Magic stuff ;)

Hi Rob,

Cheers, are you just using flow enhancer, or are you thining too?

Basically I use flow enhancer with Tamiya, but you can't brush over the same area twice, or it lifts the first coat. I am going to get hold of some humbrol acrylic thinners Asap, and do some test, just for my curiousity, basically I'm just looking for a few to use on a tray.

Clearly it seems Humbrol acrylic have a way to go.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Cheers, are you just using flow enhancer, or are you thining too?

Basically I use flow enhancer with Tamiya, but you can't brush over the same area twice, or it lifts the first coat. I am going to get hold of some humbrol acrylic thinners Asap, and do some test, just for my curiousity, basically I'm just looking for a few to use on a tray.

Clearly it seems Humbrol acrylic have a way to go.

Dave

Hi mate Just W&N Flow Improver. Humbrol Acrylics are fabulous paint I have never had a problem once with them. I spend time learning how each paint works there all different and need to be handled differently. Tamiya for instance are a nightmare to paint but perfect for the airbrush.

But if you have not tried them buy Revell Aqua paints do they are FABULOUS!!, again these cidadel Xtracrylics etc its just W&N I add nothing else. Unless I want a different effect.

If you thin with anything else water , blue screen wash, fairl liquid etc..or a mix of, (not tried IPA yet) The acrilics wash out and loose colour density needing many many coats. Good for toning weathering etc. But not good for brush painting.

W&N on the other hand retains the colour tension and makes the paint flow like ink but still the colours will remain as solid as they were to start with, Obviously white is still a harder colour to work with than black.

You will get a feel for it certain paints need more than others It depends on how thick the batch is. But whilst not being too shy with the W&N you don't need lots but don't be too careful A with it. Its very forgiving.

I always paint over a Humbrol Spray can Matt colour as these go on beautifully and grip to the plastic like (somthing nasty) to a blanket and then when you brush on it grips the same way. Very therapeutic too.

I first discovered this when I decided to experiment this way on an old 1/72 Vulcan and painted the whole thing I enjoyed it so much. Especially after my airbrush compressor exploded in 2011 not bothered with and AB since.

(Though I do still want another airbrush £££)

Have fun and good luck. Good excuse to build a few extra "practice kits" and have some fun.

Cheers Rob ;)

Cheers rob,

So would you recomend aqua (revell) over humbrol?

I have plenty of flow enhancer so I will try using it as a thinners tomorrow, let you know how I get on.

Dave

• Like 1

Cheers rob,

So would you recomend aqua (revell) over humbrol?

I have plenty of flow enhancer so I will try using it as a thinners tomorrow, let you know how I get on.

Dave

Well if your brushing then go for it, As for the Airbrush you may need more I don't know. But I am sure it will work. It makes Acrylics behave like enamels but better. (And I am a Enamel fan I used to hate acrylics)

The paint is so nice to brush with with it in. I have sung its praises whenever I can.

I dont have a problem with Humbrol. I would not recommend it over it especially as Humbrol are improving. I hear lots of hate for Humbrol and I do not know why its great paint a great range and for what I use seems to be very accurate in colour. However Revel Aqua paints are just very very good but sometimes the shade you want is not quite the same as what you might get from Humbrol.

For me its just about getting it to look right to my eye and if a paint does the job then it gets used. The one thing I will say is that citadel and Revell Aqua acrylics make the best metallics i have ever used. with citadel particularly after the 2nd coat.

I find I can get most things done with 2 or 3 coats. I am keen to try other brands of paint and see what they are like,

I guess the way a paint behaves when discussed here is mostly likely to be from the perspective of Airbrushing. I am talking from the Hair stick end of the spectrum.

I brush painted this with Humbrol paints and W&N it was a really enjoyable albeit long paint session but I did not have to use blue tak. So it has its advantages.

Cheers Rob ;)

P1010319.jpg

I agree with Rob, Revell Aqua paints are very good. They brush paint very well, and are good in the airbrush too if you keep cleaning the tip now and again. Although some people don't like the Revell paint callouts in instructions because some have to be mixed ( similar to Tamiya kits actually, and their own paints), that doesn't bother me, and in fact encourages me to be a bit more self-helping with paints as opposed to trying to find which manufacturer produces THE exact colour I want.

• Like 1

I agree with Rob, Revell Aqua paints are very good. They brush paint very well, and are good in the airbrush too if you keep cleaning the tip now and again. Although some people don't like the Revell paint callouts in instructions because some have to be mixed ( similar to Tamiya kits actually, and their own paints), that doesn't bother me, and in fact encourages me to be a bit more self-helping with paints as opposed to trying to find which manufacturer produces THE exact colour I want.

Absolutley. I am the same. I used to get hung up on "accurate colours" Whilst I appreciate the science and know there are specific colours. The many variables age weather manufacture mean they simply do not all look the same. Seen enough with my own eyes to know that. And whatever the arguments are I just make them to look right to me and please me. For example that Vulcan is not painted in HU163 which is now lighter than my 20 year old tin. And as every manufacture of the supposed same shade is totally different. Its good to use the mk1 eyeball. Also sometimes its just fun to break the rules. I always was a rebel and still have the long hair LOL ;)

• Like 1

Let me state in advance that I don't try to be offensive, just want to find out what makes your experience so very much different from mine.

All of you singing the praise of Revell Aqua: What is the consistency of the paint you find when opening the container?

I bought a few to test them, and what greeted me when opening was the consistency of treacle, and segregated. Lots of mixing and thinning brought them to a place where I might have confidently brush painted them. Still a nightmare in the airbrush (not just tip dry, solid matter accumulating in the nozzle; after each spraying session I scoop out gunk from the nozzle with a reamer) and not very fine, kind of gritty.

It may be a problem of the batch or storage conditions (apparently they don't take freezing well), though I got them from two different places. Anyway: I don't think that twenty years down the line we will hear the same stories you sometimes hear about enamels about acrylics: "Opened a tin I had in storage since 1975. Still good after stirring it up and went on a treat!"

Edited by Hotel Papa
  • Like 1

Let me state in advance that I don't try to be offensive, just want to find out what makes your experience so very much different from mine.

All of you singing the praise of Revell Aqua: What is the consistency of the paint you find when opening the container?

I bought a few to test them, and what greeted me when opening was the consistency of treacle, and segregated. Lots of mixing and thinning brought them to a place where I might have confidently brush painted them. Still a nightmare in the airbrush (not just tip dry, solid matter accumulating in the nozzle; after each spraying session I scoop out gunk from the nozzle with a reamer) and not very fine, kind of gritty.

It may be a problem of the batch or storage conditions (apparently they don't take freezing well), though I got them from two different places. Anyway: I don't think that twenty years down the line we will hear the same stories you sometimes hear about enamels about acrylics: "Opened a tin I had in storage since 1975. Still good after stirring it up and went on a treat!"

Yea they are very thick and never used them in an AB but for brush painting they are boss but again always with flow improver added this changes everything. The thickness to me is a good thing as once thinned your likely getting more paint for your money.

If I was to AB them I imagine they would need to be thinned alot. Oh and you don't seem offensive to me at all :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

Im going to give Humbrol acrylics another try. Gave them a go when they first appeared and it ended badly. How much W+N should I add to a pot and how does the Humbrol thinners perform?

Also is there any difference in the "old" Humbrol acrylic and the "new" stock?

I use Vallejo and like them and also Xtracrylix. I just thin these with tap water and they are excellent.

Im trying to get away from enamels. I wouldnt even consider acrylic paint a few years ago.

Excellent discussion BTW.

Im going to give Humbrol acrylics another try. Gave them a go when they first appeared and it ended badly. How much W+N should I add to a pot and how does the Humbrol thinners perform?

Also is there any difference in the "old" Humbrol acrylic and the "new" stock?

I use Vallejo and like them and also Xtracrylix. I just thin these with tap water and they are excellent.

Im trying to get away from enamels. I wouldnt even consider acrylic paint a few years ago.

Excellent discussion BTW.

Yes there to my knowledge have been 3 versions of humbrol acrylic. The original ones in the 90s were awful. Then the current ones which were made in china which I have never had a problem with but some shades have had bad batches. Now they are made in the UK again and have been improved but in model shops there is still many old ones knocking around.

Try looking for the new label ones saying made in the uk.

Never used humbrol thinners I only use W&N. You should try W&N in Xtracrylix Brushes like silk but needs quite a few coats.

Cheers Rob

Cheers for yet more input guys, I've a lot of flow enhancer to hand, I bought about 6 bottles when a local art shop closed down. (£1 a bottle!)

I always use flow enhancer with Tamiya, never thought about using it with these, as a thinner, but I will give it a go today. All paints separate in to a thick mass if left to stand, but even after 10 minutes or so with my paint mixer I could still see a purple hue, in the mixed paint.

More later after so testing.

• Like 1

Results of some quick tests.

408999264.jpg

Left wing, Well mixed Paint (no Flow Enhancer)

right Inner wing paint 0ne coat with flow enhancer. Right outer two coats applied.

left tail plain mixed with IPA (it doesn't like it, it breaks the bonds in the paint!)

right tail plan to coats of Tamiya. paint coverage being honest was not great it would need three coats with a brush.

Gnat bottom of the left wing, is well mixed paint and flow enhancer through the gun!!! (Covered well!)

mid of the left wing I changed paint.

one thing from all of this is after using the humbrol paint I thoughtlessly used IPA to clear the airbrush, it resulted in me having a need to strip and clear my gun totally, so IPA and humbrol paint don't mix.

Next, I'm going to try water, red paint and flow enhancer over the top of the Gnat to see what happen and how it covers.

Dave

• Like 1

Results of some quick tests.

408999264.jpg

Left wing, Well mixed Paint (no Flow Enhancer)

right Inner wing paint 0ne coat with flow enhancer. Right outer two coats applied.

left tail plain mixed with IPA (it doesn't like it, it breaks the bonds in the paint!)

right tail plan to coats of Tamiya. paint coverage being honest was not great it would need three coats with a brush.

Gnat bottom of the left wing, is well mixed paint and flow enhancer through the gun!!! (Covered well!)

mid of the left wing I changed paint.

one thing from all of this is after using the humbrol paint I thoughtlessly used IPA to clear the airbrush, it resulted in me having a need to strip and clear my gun totally, so IPA and humbrol paint don't mix.

Next, I'm going to try water, red paint and flow enhancer over the top of the Gnat to see what happen and how it covers.

Dave

Did you prime those models first. Its crucial to prime them to get the best from those paints. It transforms the way they work.

Looking good so far. Cheers Rob ;)

Hi Everyone,

I bought some Humbrol acrylic to try it again, as I was not that impressed the first time round. On second thoughts, it's not bad. A bit too thick to brush straight from the tinlet - a bit like ModelColor in this respect, but I thinned it with 20% Ultimate paint thinner, it brushed well with no visible brush marks, and dried dead matt. I don't know if I'll ever like Humbrol acrylic as much as I like Vallejo or Lifecolor, but if you need to use acrylics and Humbrol is only one available don't pass it up. For those of you familiar with Humbrol enamels a bonus is I think the paint numbers match those for the enamels.

Best Wishes,

Will.

Wed 19 March - forgot to add this. The paints dry rather quickly.

Edited by cruiserguy
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I work from home, and had an hour to kill today, so I tried airbrushing Humbrol acrylics, and the results were interesting. First I tried a 70% paint - 35% thinner (Ultimate Thinner) mixture and found the paint too thick to airbrush well even at 30 psi. Next I used a 35% paint - 65% thinner mixture with 5 drops of Windsor and Newton flow enhancer added. I started brushing at 20 psi and found too much overspray: there was a slight mist of paint coming up from the test piece with the airbrush about 6-9 inches away. I lowered the pressure to around 10 psi and it sprayed well, as I would expect for such a "thin" mix. I'll try using less flow enhancer and see how I get on later. Once the paint was down on the test piece it dried quickly and matt.

Adding to my previous post, I think this paint is more durable than Vallejo as I rubbed the test piece I (hairy) brushed a couple of days ago with a grey fine sanding sponge bought from Halfords, and it did not abrade or peel the paint. I did the same with the coarser green sanding sponge from Halfords and there was little abrasion of the paint. In my experience Vallejo would have peeled a bit as it takes time to cure fully.

Will.

Try thinning with just flow improver and see how that works, I am going to invest in a new airbrush at somepoint and will do some tests myself. but I will soon if anyone fancies do a video on how I use the stuff for brushing.

Cheers Rob ;)

Hi Everyone,

Just a note about Humbrol acrylics and their quality. If you can, avoid the flip-top containers. I bought 10 colours a couple of weeks ago, just to give the paint another go - see a previous post in this thread. Of the three colours supplied in flip-top containers, two had turned to jelly. It was easy enough to reconstitute the paint using airbrush thinner, but a bit of a pain to do so. Having done so, the paint was fine.

So just watch when buying these paints from a store, from my experience the new screw top containers are better.

Best Wishes,

Will.

Added 29 March. I should have written that after I had reconstituted the paint it was perfectly useable. Humbrol acrylics are good, just watch the containers they come in.

PS To Robvulcan, thanks for the tip on where to buy them

Edited by cruiserguy